• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oblivious People

Osmo

*I whine a lot*
Lets hear some of your stories with encounters with oblivious people.

Here is mine from yesterday:

So went to Barre Dam in MA yesterday for some DG with a few friends. We got to hole like 9 or 10 and some guy had parked his Van literally in front of the basket (1 foot away) and walked up the street to use a port-a-potty that was quite a long walk from his parking spot. We dont even know how he got on the dirt road that he was on that got him to the grass where the basket was since it is a service road. His van was pelted by a few discs before we got to take our shots. I had just driven up 45 mins go get to the course and had a chance for a birdie after a darn good drive. His van was literally making the shot impossible so i had to lay up a lofty shot to just make it over the van and have an easy 3. His van was hit about half a dozen times, a few we saw before we had our turn and someone in our group hit it too.

Saw him walking back as we tee'd off on the next hole and I yelled up to him that he was parked on a disc golf course and he was lucky his windows werent broken by now.

At first when I was yelling up to him I was angry but then he seemed in shock and didnt understand what i was saying about a Disc Golf course. (in my head i was saying, say the words slowly its obvious what it is) but i calmed down after realizing he had no idea what it was and that he was on a course. But seriously, how can people be so oblivious. Didnt he wonder why there was a metal basket with chains everywhere (like right next to his car) and about dozen people walking around throwing discs around "his" parking lot.

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Last edited:
I understand people want to be nice, but if I am throwing a "frisbee" and it lands next to no one in particular, why do people have the uncontrollable urge to hand it/throw it back? Just leave it!!

We disc golfers see fairways and disc lanes everywhere (not just those between established tees and baskets). I guess non-players just don't see 'em. :\
AJ Jolly, hole #10 lies just behind a baseball field, and has the tee inside the bend of the road, with the basket just across the road under the branches. It's a beautiful ace run, or easy birdie hole... unless there's a ball game in progress. Then the middle of the fairway is a minivan parking lot. This happened for us this year during a league night, so it probably was the same for all players, but what if it was during a tourney, and the van situation changed the difficulty level for some players, and not for others?
I don't think a road sign (no parking between signs) would help: they'd probably be ignored. :doh:

A couple years ago on a very busy course, I came up on hole 3 and there was a car parked outside of the parking lot directly in front of the slightly elevated tee pad. The parking lot is used solely by disc golfers, so it had to be someone playing which makes it even more ridiculous that they parked there. The couple groups ahead of us intentionally skipped their drives off the roof of the car, we threw over it and moved on. At the end of our round we walked over to see that the car was still parked there, and the entire roof was covered in multi-colored scuffs.

lol....his deuce messed up your deuce :)

Once had a lady play with her dog on my fairway before a teeoff. Felt like 15 minutes, prolly 15 seconds. Arm waving, yelling headsup, no dice. Hole length was ~140'!! Walking to the next teepad, notice her walking a disc back to another disc golfer on the tee pad. That hole also <200'.

Obliviousness: Confirmed.:|

We were playing Prado DGC, about 8 of us, doubles, IIRC, and we'd just finished teeing off on #1. The hole goes sort of close to the lake out there over a hump in the landscape so nobody really saw the discs hit the grass. Never any danger of getting wet, so we all picked up our bags and started walking down the fairway.

We crested the hump and saw, much to our amazement, that some "helpful" fisherwoman was in the process of picking up all our discs and putting them in one pile, presumably to make it easier for us to ... well, whatever they thought we were doing with them.

I proceeded to explain to the woman (who hardly spoke English at all) about the game and to thank her for stacking our discs so neatly and to please, never do that again. She took it pretty well and we continued our round.

Lets hear some of your stories with encounters with oblivious people.

Here is mine from yesterday:

So went to Barre Dam in MA yesterday for some DG with a few friends. We got to hole like 9 or 10 and some guy had parked his Van literally in front of the basket (1 foot away) and walked up the street to use a port-a-potty that was quite a long walk from his parking spot. We dont even know how he got on the dirt road that he was on that got him to the grass where the basket was since it is a service road. His van was pelted by a few discs before we got to take our shots. I had just driven up 45 mins go get to the course and had a chance for a birdie after a darn good drive. His van was literally making the shot impossible so i had to lay up a lofty shot to just make it over the van and have an easy 3. His van was hit about half a dozen times, a few we saw before we had our turn and someone in our group hit it too.

Saw him walking back as we tee'd off on the next hole and I yelled up to him that he was parked on a disc golf course and he was lucky his windows werent broken by now.

At first when I was yelling up to him I was angry but then he seemed in shock and didnt understand what i was saying about a Disc Golf course. (in my head i was saying, say the words slowly its obvious what it is) but i calmed down after realizing he had no idea what it was and that he was on a course. But seriously, how can people be so oblivious. Didnt he wonder why there was a metal basket with chains everywhere (like right next to his car) and about dozen people walking around throwing discs around "his" parking lot.

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

I agree that this dude is an oblivious idiot but people that don't know shouldn't be punished because of it. As you say, he parked there to use the bathroom down the road and probably wouldn't have taken too long. I really hope the discs didn't do damage to his van because if someone damaged my car because I accidently parked next to some park recreational device, I would more than pissed.

I understand people want to be nice, but if I am throwing a "frisbee" and it lands next to no one in particular, why do people have the uncontrollable urge to hand it/throw it back? Just leave it!!
I genuinely feel your pain, but I haven't seen that happen too often. I think we're a loonng way from having to worry about people being too nice.

The far more prevalent problen I see is with people who simply have no clue their walking in a fairway. Sometimes the issued is almost guaranteed on courses that share common space. Other times, park patrons simply have no idea they've stumbled upon a course. Within reason, we have to respect that park property is meant to be used by all. It doesn't mean they can set up a picnic on the hole, but I feel handling the situation politely is warranted, rather than shouting "HEY! WOULD YA' GET OFF THE FAIRWAY!"

What really burns me is this one guy who takes a run through the course at Fire Fighters on a regular basis. Dude's been running in the park for years, and he's seen us during league play more thimes than I can count, and is completey familiar with what's going on - yet he runs doesn and across fairways. The only good thing is he's not out there every week, but he's there at least 4-5 weeks a season. You'd think he'd have learned to run around the perimeter rather than through the course. Hard to feel bad about it if he gets pegged... unless it ruins an Ace.

Seen a number of people using fairways as parking lots over the years. Happens a lot with the multi-use parks more often than not. Two courses here have pavilions near holes that often see people parking in the middle of flight paths.

Last night I saw a family playing and in the middle of throwing a hole they stopped for photos. I cannot really complain though - at least they were out playing. I was about to skip the hole but just waited for them.

A few weeks ago there was a couple laying out in the middle of a fairway getting a tan. They didn't have any discs with them, and the only way out there was to have walked a few holes - so it's not like they didn't know they were in the middle of a DG course. Just played on through...

Another course here has a bunch of people who like to walk the fairways with their dogs (not playing and the course is next to a dog park) and kids wandering around with ipods being oblivious.

A couple years ago on a very busy course, I came up on hole 3 and there was a car parked outside of the parking lot directly in front of the slightly elevated tee pad. The parking lot is used solely by disc golfers, so it had to be someone playing which makes it even more ridiculous that they parked there. The couple groups ahead of us intentionally skipped their drives off the roof of the car, we threw over it and moved on. At the end of our round we walked over to see that the car was still parked there, and the entire roof was covered in multi-colored scuffs.

You have to be talking about Gray Fox. Right?

Nope, Morley Field in San Diego.

OK I had the same thing happen to me on hole three at gray fox. There was a cross country meet going on and there where tons of cars parked parallel to the road and the one DB with a truck that pulled into the grass ten feet off the tee pad! My buddy took his antena off with his drive.

Oblivious #1, the Fisherman. Hole #14 at Victory Park (Albion, MI). While playing a round on a nice sunny day, happened upon a guy fishing. Problem was he was directly in between the tee pad and the basket. The basket is located right where two streams come together to form one, so go right or left and you get wet. Just an easy downhill 120 ft shot, but he was sitting down 15 feet in front of the hole fishing in water knee deep. Asked him to move but pretty sure he answer may have been "no habla english". Skipped and moved on.

Oblivious #2, the sun bathing couple. Hole #3 at Waterloo State Rec Area (Grasslake, MI). Aprox 200 feet uphill, gotta get thru trees on right/left side to a nice open area on top the hill. Could hear voices but no see anyone, after a couple of steps noticed clothes and towels hanging from the basket. Walked up the hill to see a couple had decided this open hilltop was the place to hang out and sun bathe. I mean who would use the beautiful sandy beach 100 yards away? Or the grassy fields surrounding it? Not these two, who hiked up a hill 150 yards from the water to hang out. Skipped it and moved on.

I agree that this dude is an oblivious idiot but people that don't know shouldn't be punished because of it. As you say, he parked there to use the bathroom down the road and probably wouldn't have taken too long. I really hope the discs didn't do damage to his van because if someone damaged my car because I accidently parked next to some park recreational device, I would more than pissed.

We didnt know he had stopped to use the bathroom until he was walking back after we holes out and were teeing off on the next hole. (put 2 and 2 together as he walked back because we knew there was a port-o-potty there, but there is a parking lot right there he could have used instead of driving down 500 feet to park in front of the basket) I didnt hit his car and my friends did hit the top but it was a skip so i dont think it did anything bad. But the people before us hit it dead on it looked like and left a dent.

If we knew he was taking a poop we may have waited but we had been on that hole waiting for 5-10 mins before we even started so he was parked there a good 25 mins by the time we saw him come back.

I have a couple. Two weeks ago at Jellystone there was a family of five (two adults, three kids) playing in front of my family with nothing but some Walgreens big lids. They even looked at our bags and the dad remarked "Wow, looks like you guys are pretty serious about this." And they still didn't let us play through! It was kind of funny, but annoying at the same time. I also offered them a beat up DX Eagle and an even more beat DX Valk to play with and the dad says "Oh I wouldn't know how to control that!" yet I watched him no lie blast his cheap-o big lid a legit 200 feet. I took it with good humor, as at least they were playing, but still...

Another happened to me yesterday at Widefield. Widefield is a huge public park, but most of the area is taking up by disc golf. There's a playground and whatnot right behind hole 3. Trying to clear the creek I put some serious stank on my drive and it landed kind of by the playground. Two kids were looking at it and, from some 200 feet away, I heard their father say "go ahead and play with it, that guy obviously doesn't want it." At first I thought he was kidding...until they started walking to their car with my new Star Destroyer!

That's about the time I got pissed. Luckily my buddy and I are large, heavily tattooed men so we got the disc back. That wasn't so much a case of obliviousness as much as just being a total dickhead.

i was playing with a couple friends at blendon and we were playing hole number 5, which is a dog leg right, but anyway we were down there and discs started flying over our heads from the tee, the first couple times i yelled "FORE!" but the third disc came over and i lost it and screamed " WE'RE STILL ON THE FU#^ING HOLE!!!!" they just kept playing after that too. some people.

At Corbin Park in Post Falls Idaho, people parking in fairways or on tee pads happens all the time. The last time was a couple weeks ago when a lady had decided that the tee-pad for 14 was the appropriate place to park her nasty, broken and burnt (probably a former meth lab) RV. When we approached her and told her that she was parked on a tee-pad, she proceeded to tell us that she owned the land. When we informed her it was a public park and that the city actually was the owner, she proceeded to tell us that she was a high ranking council member that would have the park removed and the land given back to her if we didn't move along. After standing there for 30 seconds, she decided that she was going to call the cops. We stood there for 10 minutes, explained the situation to the cops who then took her to jail for possession of a controlled substance. He then asked us to call the cops if we see her again. Apparently this lady was stealing people's identities. She'd wait till they jumped in the water, go to their car's or beach spots, and steal their purses, wallets, etc. She had over a hundred id's and social security cards in her RV alone. Her obliviousness caused her downfall. Not always a bad thing.