• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oct 17th @ Blue Ribbon Pines

I was just looking through the pictures on the website..

new-tee.JPG

I don't recall playing off of this tee? I was just there a couple of weeks ago. Is it new since then, or is my memory going already? :lol:

who wants to give me a place to sleep? too cold to camp, to broke to hotel

I can bring free beer!?

DPJ88:

That's the tee for the long bomber hole, the one that plays in the wide open field across the stream. It's ~700ft? I remember at the Majestic they had lines marked at 200, 300, 400, and 500 so you could see how far your drives were going.

WesV said:
DPJ88:

That's the tee for the long bomber hole, the one that plays in the wide open field across the stream. It's ~700ft? I remember at the Majestic they had lines marked at 200, 300, 400, and 500 so you could see how far your drives were going.

it is for the majestic layout and pulled out the pin completely. it is just over 700' and 430' to clear the creek in the fairway.

jnecessary said:
who wants to give me a place to sleep? too cold to camp, to broke to hotel

I can bring free beer!?

i still live with my parents so i might not be able to cut that but when you say beer......i will see what i can do.

masterbeato said:
it is for the majestic layout and pulled out the pin completely. it is just over 700' and 430' to clear the creek in the fairway.

Hopefully next year we will have OB from about 350' to the creek. If you go for it and miss short you will definitely be OB. People shouldn't be able to go for it and miss and still birdie. Gotta have some extra OB for a wide open shot like that.

Thanks for the info guys. That explains why I never saw it. Sounds like that creek lands right in my absolute max distance power range on that hole. haha

juju said:
masterbeato said:

Hopefully next year we will have OB from about 350' to the creek. If you go for it and miss short you will definitely be OB. People shouldn't be able to go for it and miss and still birdie. Gotta have some extra OB for a wide open shot like that.

agreed, more challenging holes rather than just a distance fest, and really is not fair for the guys that cannot reach an accurate 400' most of the time. risk/reward.

or possibly an island ring of OB line at 350'. ring maybe 40' in diameter if you want to lay up.

making it so you either have to clear 425' or you lay up and still make it pretty tough.

edrift101 said:
I miss the two holes that they pulled (700+ and the island)!!! Are they planning on bringing them back at all?

if they do it will be for the majestic, or some event or whenever they feel like it. it is a sod farm so i am guessing the owner pulled the pin out so he could plant fresh grass next summer without it getting ruined. or grass constantly getting trampled on throughout the year and get ruined (hence why some courses have a ring of dirt around the pin), that would be my reasoning for why he pulled them which is understandable with me.

Those two holes will be put back next spring and possibly made permanent. Right now there are some nice signs, marking distance, out on the long 700 foot hole. Rumor has it that next year they might get rid of the hay bails and make a real island hole.

scottp said:
So BRP on Saturday...

10am work for everyone?
Fine by me...I just have to decide if I'm driving up for a round on Friday or leaving at like 4AM for Saturday morning round...sounds painful

PeterM_Vang said:
Those two holes will be put back next spring and possibly made permanent. Right now there are some nice signs, marking distance, out on the long 700 foot hole. Rumor has it that next year they might get rid of the hay bails and make a real island hole.

I talked to Ray Jordan about this back in June and he told me that his PLAN is to make those two holes permanent but we are talking long term projects. The long hole (700') will be easier to get done because the majority of the work was with the tee (as noted by the picture above). The island hole, however, will require a lot more work and thus interferes with the long hole. He is going to dig out a trench where the hay bails were. Then using a filter system to keep everything clean, the ditch is going to be lined with rocks and then water about six inches deep. He knows a lot of discs are going to go in there so he is going to make it look nice while at the same time easy to retrieve them.

If you have been to BRP before, you know the ditches and moats that are currently out there have no where for the water to run. Thus the water is like a soupy cesspool, making it nearly impossible to retrieve discs.

Ray is also planning on redoing some of the holes, most notably holes 21-23. He wants to get rid of the short right hand turn hole and the next hole where you basically have to sky hook over some pine trees and crash back into the basket. He and Tim Gill were supposedly working on a design to make them start in the forest and shoot out into the open, making both of them 300 to 400 feet long. Hole 23 might just get in the way and so might be redesigned as well.

There is also talk about keeping some of the combined holes you saw at the Majestic. Traditional Holes 5 and 6 became a long 5, as well was Holes 11 and 12 that became a very long 10. However, while still keeping them as long holes, he was thinking about keeping in the traditional baskets. This gives you the option to play the course as Pro or Tournament by playing the long placements, or play as a recreational player and play those as two separate shorter holes. In effect, the course would be 29 or 30 holes, although the layout is designed for 27 during a tournament.

Again, this is just based upon Ray talking to me and I do not necessarily want to put words into his mouth if he has since changed his mind about what he wants to do.

Scott

Calling all MN people:

I really want to come up to play this weekend but as of now I have no where to stay. I would do the hotel thing but I have 3 more tournaments to pay for this month alone. Someone be a kind sole and offer me a couch or floor for Friday and/or possibly Saturday night. Dan tried, no go there. I'm kind of torn between a super long day, basically driving up and back Saturday or just playing at the Hub City Open which is going to be a rockin' unsanctioned (beers) DG tourney on a ball golf course (with carts, :)), it also has $1800 added cash, which is unheard of for unsanctioned.

unfortunately I am living at home (with my parents), that and the fact that my brother, his wife, and their 2 kids are here since they just sold their place and are moving into their new place next week. Otherwise I would have offered. Sorry!

jnecessary said:
Calling all MN people:

I really want to come up to play this weekend but as of now I have no where to stay. I would do the hotel thing but I have 3 more tournaments to pay for this month alone. Someone be a kind sole and offer me a couch or floor for Friday and/or possibly Saturday night. Dan tried, no go there. I'm kind of torn between a super long day, basically driving up and back Saturday or just playing at the Hub City Open which is going to be a rockin' unsanctioned (beers) DG tourney on a ball golf course (with carts, :)), it also has $1800 added cash, which is unheard of for unsanctioned.

Sorry man, doesn't work for me either...

I was waiting on a response from pointdisc about splitting a room. Hell I have even considered just driving up for the day which would be painful but I think it would be a lot of fun to get a round together from DGR people.

I know I will eventually play BRP more than once. I have a friend that has been talking about a disc golf road trip next summer so it would definately be on our list. Also, maybe we are picking a bad time of year I don't know. I'm still undecided on what is happening, I guess it comes down to pointdisc, his buds bailed on him so I'd say he is a little less inclined to make the trip.

le sigh...

masterbeato said:
this seems like it may fall through for Saturday.

I still plan on going, just can't provide a place to stay for the out of towners...