• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Octane

For high head winds I'll still go to my most overstable Destroyer, but maybe Nitro could fill that spot.

If the Octane is a little understable in those winds, then a max Nitro should pick up the slack.

IMO the Nitro is pretty beefy at max weight (I've got a 174). I also get the Octanes over 400 ft pretty easily, but the Nitro goes barely 330 with my arm. Thinking about getting a lighter one, perhaps around 168 grams to be a better step up in stability w/ a 173 Octane. Just my 2 cents. But yeah, going with heavy Nitro will do for most head winds.

Can anyone give me a breakdown of different weights of Octane vs different runs of Legacy Outlaw? I have a few second run Icon Outlaws( the less stable version) and a first run Icon Outlaw and am curious if I could cover those with different weights of the Octane or Octane/Nitro.

Can anyone give me a breakdown of different weights of Octane vs different runs of Legacy Outlaw? I have a few second run Icon Outlaws( the less stable version) and a first run Icon Outlaw and am curious if I could cover those with different weights of the Octane or Octane/Nitro.

I did exactly that with my Octanes and have a huge stack of various Outlaws I replaced.

My go to Distance Outlaws were the lavendar pinnacle outlaws in the upper 160s. Those were replced by 166-68 neutron Octanes pretty quickly. For the stable to beefy Outlaw spot max weight Neutron did the trick. For the OS Outlaws (gunmetal legend, etc) Max weight Proton Octanes do it for me, but I can see the case for the Nitro to fill that role. I haven't had to look back once at the Outlaw since the switch. The Outlaw is still an incredible disc and I have nothing against it. I think it comes down to preference, and I like knowing what I'm getting with my MVP plastic.

TLDR- Lighter/normal Neutron Octanes =2nd run Pinnacle
First run Icon- max Neutron or Proton Octane

Any idea when some lighter ones will be released. I am a 150 thrower and would to try one of theses.

This disc goes real far. I am liking mine a lot more as it seasons in. The fade has mellowed a bit with a little more high speed turn for some longer lines vs when new. My max wts flew a little OS like nitros so wasnt very sold on it at first but octane has become my go-to max D driver.

Sort of reminds me of throwing a super fast inertia or valk. Pretty easy to get straight flight with slight hyzer flip or will hold anny/hyzers too given the small turn/fade built into the mold. Pretty much what I need and want from a go to max d mold.

BUMP - Just ordered a 173g Neutron Octane. Hoping to find a stable max D disc that can get good D with a slight S shape but be confident not to turn too much or to be too OS. Am I in luck?

BUMP - Just ordered a 173g Neutron Octane. Hoping to find a stable max D disc that can get good D with a slight S shape but be confident not to turn too much or to be too OS. Am I in luck?

I have a N Octane at that weight which I can release flat up to 400ft. Slight turn/drift to right and dependable fade. If I crank it at max power (430ft w/golf line, laser measured) I have no fear of it turning too much. Doesn't like headwind though, turns surprisingly more even in mild headwind but still fades OK. I haven't got the time to wear it in properly, so I expect more S shape in future. The dome in this particular disc is the same as my other Octanes (2 N, 2 P). I hope yours will be like this:thmbup:

Had a nice rip with my Octane today. Hole 18, Angry Beaver, 815' par 5. Had me setup nicely for an eagle.

I like them for distance flicks. The bit of high speed turn lets them carry a little further for me than the beefier drivers.

where is that course? looks nice.

i keep admiring my octanes having just put together an all overmold bag. they look like such a good mold. everything i see tells me this disc has tremendous distance potential.

it only took a few field throws for this one to immediately make the big d spot in that bag.

My 175g proton octanes is alot more stable than my 171g n octane. Bigger dome on proton. Very dependable i could go 100% straight drive and it just goes straight with a long glidey fade.

Yeah I've found my max weight proton to be a very good bomber with a slightly OS finish, whereas my 168 proton just goes boom. They're a great 1-2 punch, and then I added a catalyst that covers that slightly US spot and I've got everything I'd ever need with distance drivers

That's Angry Beaver at Elon Park, in Charlotte NC.

Octane has become a go to for long distance line shaping, but I also gotta bag a Nitro. I love that mold. They compliment each other very well.....Nitro for hard, aggressive fades, and Octane for more neutral line shaping. Bagging a Defy as well until I get my 165 Nitro seasoned up.

Production eclipse in stores 4/28. Looks cool. Ill throw them b/c im cool.

news_170417_octane13.jpg

Good looking disc! I am a fan on the white rims, though they do look dirty more quickly.

Yeah luckily eclipse rims do seem to clean up well with a little scrubbing. Ive brought a few back from the dead lol.

I'm excited for these because eclipse rims show up so much better when I'm filming / they're easier to find. Going to try to get my hands on a few sparkles to throw in the bag immediately. Guess I had good timing leaving my 165g at an out of town course :p