• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Odd Injury?

fishballer06

Eagle Member
Last night while playing, during my drive on the first hole I felt an odd pain in my stomach. It felt as if when I twisted during my drive, I pinched something in my guts internally. The pain is on my left hand side of my body, about an inch or two below my lowest rib on the side of my stomach (not my abs). I felt the same pain again on the second holes drive. Luckily the next few holes were FH friendly, so I was able to rest it for a little bit. I managed to play the remainder of my round through the pain and I played pretty well with no noticeable decrease in my drives.

However, once I got home, the pain got worse. Laying down in bed, rolling over, sitting up, putting shoes on, twisting, etc. is all painful. The spot of the injury is very sore and tender, but it's not bruised. This morning, the pain is still pretty unbearable. I'm not sure if I sprained/strained a muscle, dislocated a rib, or what happened.

I was wondering if anyone here has experienced something similar or has heard of an injury like this? Any recommendations on what I should do?

Yeah that sounds like a possible sports hernia. You need to get that looked at

Oddly enough, I did the same thing. Though, I simply sneezed while laying in a kind of weird position on the couch. Left side, burning pain, below the ribs and not in my abdomen. It has been over two weeks and it is still bothering me. I can play, though I have trouble with forehand and anyhyzer backhand throws. Hurts like heck to cough or sneeze.

You could have herniated your diaphragm, sports hernia or pulled a muscle. I chose to kind of wait it out with a strict regiment of motrin and have been using a heating pad after a few days. Ice for the first few days. Mine is definitely getting better, but it is a slow process. See what happens. If it does not start to improve in a few days go see a doc.

Here is a good sports hernia explanation. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/hernias/sports-hernia

Oddly enough, I did the same thing. Though, I simply sneezed while laying in a kind of weird position on the couch. Left side, burning pain, below the ribs and not in my abdomen. It has been over two weeks and it is still bothering me. I can play, though I have trouble with forehand and anyhyzer backhand throws. Hurts like heck to cough or sneeze.

You could have herniated your diaphragm, sports hernia or pulled a muscle. I chose to kind of wait it out with a strict regiment of motrin and have been using a heating pad after a few days. Ice for the first few days. Mine is definitely getting better, but it is a slow process. See what happens. If it does not start to improve in a few days go see a doc.

Here is a good sports hernia explanation. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/hernias/sports-hernia

I've been doing some research online trying to figure out what it may be. From what I'm reading, I think I have a a sprained/strained muscle in my stomach.

The sports hernia looks like it's a little bit lower on the body than where I'm having pain. I'm probably going to try to see my doctor later this week and see what he thinks.

I'm no expert, but I've experienced similar stuff. It could be a pulled ribcage muscle. Those hurt shockingly bad and take a while to get better. Its a radiating pain that you feel whenever you move. Not pleasant at all.

I won't say it ISN'T a hernia, but what you describe sounds more like a pulled muscle. If it is a pulled muscle, you'll be out of action for a bit. The thing will take longer to heal than you think, and if you play when it isn't fully healed you could easily aggravate it again.

I've been doing some research online trying to figure out what it may be. From what I'm reading, I think I have a a sprained/strained muscle in my stomach.

The sports hernia looks like it's a little bit lower on the body than where I'm having pain. I'm probably going to try to see my doctor later this week and see what he thinks.

I would agree. I am a nurse and my injury was a little too high for a usual sports hernia as well. The damn pain was so intense at first, I thought I had torn my diaphragm. Sucks getting hurt, especially at the beginning of the season and the end of the long winter. Hope you mend quickly and get good news from your doc.

I was wondering if anyone here has experienced something similar or has heard of an injury like this? Any recommendations on what I should do?

Just throwing this out there: it sounds an awful lot like the same pain as appendicitis. Could just be a coincidence that you started noticing it right after a drive.

Could be Ebola or a heart attack as well since we're all internet doctors.

Well, yeah, I suppose. It could all be in his head, too. Maybe he's just going insane!

I had appendicitis and I thought the same thing he did: That I just pulled a muscle. So I figured I would mention that. My apologies for answering the OP.

I had appendicitis and I thought the same thing he did: That I just pulled a muscle. So I figured I would mention that. My apologies for answering the OP.

I'll really feel bad if he actually has appendicitis, or Ebola.

Well, I learned that sneezing hurts like a son of a b****... Called the doctor and I have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. We'll figure out what exactly this is.

Well, I learned that sneezing hurts like a son of a b****... Called the doctor and I have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. We'll figure out what exactly this is.

That's exactly what you should do. Good luck! Hopefully, it's only a muscle strain and you'll be good to go after some rest and therapy

I have dislocated a rib (or two) in my time. I think It is the same one though. I did it twice throwing BH before I learned about form =) It was one of the lower ribs and it presented with an initial sharp pain near the sternum but a little lower maybe. Oddly even though I kept throwing it persisted. I shut it down for a couple weeks and eased back into it and all gone. Recently Ive had it happen at the gym, lying on my stomach raising alternate arm leg (back exercises). Again, sharp 8-9 level short burst of pain immediately going away when left alone. FWIW.

As people have said, it's good you're going to a doctor, I partially tore my abdominal wall while throwing an anny drive without warming up enough. Six months later I am finally able to full drive without worrying.

Make sure, whatever it is, you rest as long as you're supposed to. I prolonged my injury by trying to get back on the course too fast.

Saw the doctor last night. Had to demonstrate to her how a BH drive works so she could understand the twisting motion I made.

She thinks I strained the muscles in my stomach that connect to my bottom left rib bone. Told me to ice it for 48 hours, take 600mg of Motrin 3x a day, and to not over exert myself for a few weeks or do any heavy lifting. She said if after a week its unbearable still, x-rays and a chiropractor would be an option.

Latest posts