• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Odd number at doubles league?

Strauss

Eagle Member
Got a quick question. What do you all do if you have an odd number of people that show up for doubles league? Do you have someone sit out, or do you end up with one group of three? Just looking for possible solutions if this happens at our weekly doubles league that starts this week. BTW, its random draw your own partner if that matters.

In my weekly, the "lone gun" must play alone (or get his $$ back & walk away). He has the choice of paying once & getting one mulligan per hole or paying twice & getting to throw each & every shot twice (if necessary).

At our course we give folks the option of playing "solo" where they get either 2 drives or 2 putts on any given hole. Only 1 person gets to do this.

In my weekly, the "lone gun" must play alone (or get his $$ back & walk away). He has the choice of paying once & getting one mulligan per hole or paying twice & getting to throw each & every shot twice (if necessary).

:thmbup:i like this:thmbup: but let someone say if they want to play alone

let someone say if they want to play alone

You mean allow folks to opt out of random-draw dubs & play alone by choice? NO WAY! I (and any other right-thinking ca$h strategist) would do it every time (with the twice pay option) & clean up every week.

We do our random draw by picking numbered poker chips out of a Crown Royal bag. That choice is reserved for the person drawing the highest numbered chip, and only then if there is an odd number of players.

:thmbup:i like this:thmbup: but let someone say if they want to play alone

If I could play alone, I would everytime, if I got to shoot each shot twice. Well unless I am teamed with one of the local pro's. You learn a lot from throwing your first shot. We call it "Lone Wolf"

Last night at our club doubles the odd man out ended up kicking the all the paired teams arses.

Last night at our club doubles the odd man out ended up kicking the all the paired teams arses.

Of course. On Friday nights, I believe I have won each time I have been solo, and I have played almost every Friday night for quite a few years. Two cracks at each shot is quite an advantage.

In our random dubs, if there is an odd number, they get 'Cali' or 'California Rules'.

One extra shot per hole, usable on any shot.

I got stuck with Cali in our last 4 round league championships (random dubs), so from the outset I was theoretically at a -144 chances to throw disadvantage compared to a regular dubs team.

If the odd man out is a pro he get's one mulligan per hole. If it's an am, he get's two mulligans.

We play with a Cali rule. If the odd man is an am he gets 2 mulligans if a pro on per hole. We also put another twist on it. If he chooses to he can buy the other persons spot (the ghost) then if he wins he gets all the purse if he chooses not to buy the ghost person spot he only get 1/2 of the purse and everyone that played does a ctp for the other half of the purse.

In our random dubs, if there is an odd number, they get 'Cali' or 'California Rules'.

One extra shot per hole, usable on any shot.

Does he have to take the second shot if he opts to? What I mean is, let's say the odd man drives, hits a tree 20 feet out, says he wants to throw another and this time hits a tree only 10 feet from the pad. Does he have to play the second shot or can he still choose to use the first since it was 10 feet better?

Sounds like a perfect situation to pull out your oriza and make a sacrafice to the all mighty Discomulous, the God of all disc sports.

human-sacrifice.jpg

Yup, Cali w/ 1 extra shot per hole (played as the best shot of the 2.) Having 2 shots every throw is WAY too huge of an advantage. Any player playing against equal competition should dominate with two throws. Assuming you don't get the yips and just suck it up.

Yup, Cali w/ 1 extra shot per hole (played as the best shot of the 2.) Having 2 shots every throw is WAY too huge of an advantage. Any player playing against equal competition should dominate with two throws. Assuming you don't get the yips and just suck it up.

That's what I was thinking, hell, if I can throw 2 and choose whichever one I want, then I'd rather be odd man all the time. I've seen it where you get only 1 extra throw per hole but you have to take the second throw. Not 2 drives, 2 upshots, 2 putts and choose the best one yourself. If you decide your 100 ft. drive into a tree is bad, then choose to drive another, but you must take the second throw no matter where it goes. You've already canceled the first one out anyways, that's what made you opt to throw a mulligan in the first place.

It doesn't matter to me though. Ever since I got stuck with a one armed woman once (and the arm she threw with was not her dominate), I vowed to never enter another random pick doubles anyways.

Our group plays "Triples" if there is an odd man out.
Cali sucks.
The Triples group has more fun and uses more strategy than a solo player.
No money is given out, so it's just braggin rights and fun.
In our Triples, all players get to tee off, but when they settle on the best throw to use, only the other two people throw. And so on until hole out. Whoever throws the best throw is not allowed to throw until the following throw.
The triples group does have an advantage becasue all three tee off. The best way to even it out is to carry over the "last used disc doesn't throw" rule from pin to tee.
It sounds more complicated than it is, but it's a barrel of fun.
I got it off a tournament video, but I don't remember which.
PM me if you need details or clarification.

We call it Cali too. You get to re-shoot any throw once per hole...so you can re-take a drive, mid-shot or putt.