• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off-season plans?

The off-season here is the loss of daylight after work.

But there still wont be a week that goes by that I won't play at least one round. Weather be damned.

Basement putting is always a fun winter activity. And wet weather is always a good time to work on smart golf with Rocs and putters.

I will play a lot more.

Most rounds I get in are at lunch and it is just too damn hot in the summer here in AL to play a round at lunch and then go back to work.

Well, since Montana really sucks I'm not sure how much golf I'll get in this winter. I'll likely ski many more times than I throw this winter, particularly with my recent move to Bozeman. I do plan on getting more yoga done though, that's good for both sports. If the ski season starts to dwindle I'll end up traveling to Billings to golf on the weekends as Bohart won't upen back up until all the snow melts and the town course here is terrible. So, if you haven't heard, Montana sucks.

I used to play through the winter. What I found was that I would be burned out by the spring. Five years ago I started coaching high school wrestling and barley touched a discs during that winter. When I returned to golf in the spring, I found myself much more invigorated and excited for the upcoming season. The mental reset proved to be the difference between me pounding my head against the wall and enjoying the game again.

Just starting to play more, due to work slacking and shoulder getting better. Glad the Hot, sticky off-season is over.

Since October is here, it's getting closer and closer to the off-season. What are you going to work on and better in your game?

I love this question.

I have been pretty obese, I plan on going to the gym so I can build some strength and endurance for the next year. I really want to be able to enter some tournaments with my son. He was 9 for this last year and as much fun as it was to watch him play. I really want to play in the tournaments myself.

We've already had to curtail our after-work rounds due to darkness but will continue to practice those times and play on Saturday mornings until mid-December. After that, I plan to do a lot of drills indoors to try to continue to improve my form. I also plan to eat a lot and sit by my fireplace with a book and scotch; my winter routine prior to discovering DG.

We've already had to curtail our after-work rounds due to darkness but will continue to practice those times and play on Saturday mornings until mid-December. After that, I plan to do a lot of drills indoors to try to continue to improve my form. I also plan to eat a lot and sit by my fireplace with a book and scotch; my winter routine prior to discovering DG.

You don't have to curtail your rounds due to darkness. Get some LED lights and keep on playing through the night. Less crowded= more golf.:clap:

For the last few months it's been all about getting a new course built locally. Today is the first day it will all be playable! I live less than two miles from a great layout now so I'll spend some serious time getting to know the course, designing some more (long tees and alternate pins) as well as continuing to clear fairways. We also have some fundraising to do in order to pay for concrete pads in the spring.

Aside from making this new course as awesome as possible, I'll be spending some time putting. I do have a decent setup indoors. Our local club also has a putting league which is always a great time. If the weather allows I really need some field work to make my FH game match my BH game. I'll also try to get some artwork done: dying discs, making graphic design pieces for freelance work, and creating graphics for the course. I'll have plenty to do including tee sign designs, score cards, and tee shirts for our first fundraiser!

You don't have to curtail your rounds due to darkness. Get some LED lights and keep on playing through the night. Less crowded= more golf.:clap:

99% of our parks close at dusk. It's pretty unfortunate. If NC doesn't have the same rules, I'm jealous.

99% of our parks close at dusk. It's pretty unfortunate. If NC doesn't have the same rules, I'm jealous.

We do. Sometimes it's not even dusk, really. The guy kicked us out at 7 pm the other night, which admittedly, is pretty close, but we could've gotten in at least one more hole. So now, we just go play the first five or six holes, throwing 2 discs each. We've done that two weeks in a row (not crowded at all because Barber Park DGC is being remodelled and most of the back 9 are permanently closed). That and Saturday morning round/s are it for a while.

Most of the courses in my area are technically closed after dark but only a few have gates that get locked. My "home course", Cedar Hills, installed automatic gates that close when the park does but if you are still inside, the gate it will open when you leave. We played there until 10:00 last year frequently. Middle Creek is also good for night rounds as it is on a high school/ park property and remains open all night. As far as I know only Buckhorn will lock you in overnight.

Last edited:
Most of the ones around here aren't gated(White Oak is, but that's the only one I can think of), but a lot you wouldn't want to play at night anyhow.

I play some nights at Oregon Park, there is usually no one to tell you to leave and some holes are close enough to other facilities that are lit that you don't need as intense glow gear.

Off season? :thmbdown:
What off season? :confused:
DG has no off season. :cool:
Off season's for p*$$ies.:|

*Full disclosure: I was a p*$$y up until about 5 years years ago.* :eek:

The buddy's and I each set two weeks vacation aside during the winter for DG road trips. We search out nice weather and kickass courses. Out of KC we have been to Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee and Florida. We drive by night and throw by day. We try to average two rounds a day for six days. These two weeks are two of my favorite weeks of the year.

I am in Upper Michigan (Calumet) and we play all winter on the warm days, +20 degrees. We average over 200 inches of snow per year.

I am VERY impressed that you are able to play in these U.P. winters. Yall get more snow than Ironwood, and I could never throw in the winter because I have to pull Mt. Z's baskets for ski season, but Mountain Man has hinted at clearing his fairways on his course, so we'll see how that goes.

I could also not be lazy and drive my a$$ to Sandy Point as well because I heard they're staying open year round...

Each off-season, which is when I play less during the MN winter, I set out to teach myself a proper backhand... maybe this will be the year finally? :) It's just too easy to revert back to the forehand and my bad habits backhand.

Latest posts