• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off-season Tweak Bag

Anakha said:
Fritz said:
Well played my new bag set up today, and I got an Ace with my Star Stingray on the 6th hole :) I've been trying for a long time to Ace that damn hole too.
Congrats, "new" Star Stingray or "old" Star Stingray? :p

No, I'm not talking about broken in...

Old, it already has an ace on it :) this is number 2 :)

Lies I tell you, all lies.... #6 is WAY to long for your noodle arm.And if by chance you want to get rid of your ROCs and that Cro thing, look me up bro I'll give them a warm home for the winter. ;) If by chance you did drive #6 having DanTaylor down by the basket foe the allyoop doesnt really count as an ace.... :p

So about those discs that arent in your bag........

twmccoy said:
The only change I see myself making is adding a FLX Surge to the bag mainly to help with grip. It gets cold and dry here so I need all the grip I can get. I'm also going to start using destroyers more on the course now that I've practiced with them enough.

I'm not super crazy with how it flies, but the grip kinda makes up for it.

I just put a FLX surge in my bag and have been throwing it on a few tunnel shots with a lot of success. What do you not like about it? I have only thrown in with some wind a few times and I have to say I don't think it really handles cross or head winds well. I can get it to bomb with some tail winds though.\

As for off season changes, it gets windier around here so I usually take out the flippier stuff. I just took out an SOLS and replaced it with a beat X pred that handles wind better. The EL came out and a KC pro gazelle went in and one of my DX rocs came out in favor of a 06 special blend and my old 10x roc that is super flippy came out and was replaced by a flippy DX because I don't want the 10x to crack.

I've never been 100% confident in my overstable driver slot or my long distance driver slot....I use Orcs for the latter but have never really settled on a disc for the former...been switching back and forth between Monsters, Firebirds, Teerex-xs, Banshees, etc for the last year. I picked up a Star FL and I'll probably try a Predator too in the "off season".

As for my long distance driver, I love my Orcs but it usually takes me a while to get a comfortable grip before taking a shot with them. I found an ESP Surge on the course this past weekend and tried it a few times...for being the Dcraft equivalent of a Wraith I was really impressed with how comfortable it felt in my hand (I've always had big grip problems with Wraiths). So, I'll probably pick up a new one of these and maybe a Pulse too.

Finally, I'm considering committing one of the biggest disc golf sins of all time...switching from Rocs to a Wasp/Buzzz combo :shock: Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Rocs and have no problems throwing them, I just hate paying 12-14 bucks for the Flat Top Rocs I so adore and having to constantly buy new ones to put in rotation. I figure a Pro D Wasp is pretty much a FT Roc, and it costs quite a bit less and you can find them almost anywhere...I can also get it in premium plastic without having to pay an arm an a leg.

So there's my "off season tweak" bag: Star FL, ESP Predator, ESP Surge, ESP Pulse, Wasps, Buzzzes...still sticking with the Aviar though :D

RustyP said:
I've never been 100% confident in my overstable driver slot or my long distance driver slot....

The overstable Orc is the Star Starfire. The rim is nearly identical to the Orc. The Starfire is much more stable than an Orc. I think this is one of the best 1-2 combinations out there.

FT Roc's...cheap.

http://discgolf.gottagogottathrow.com/catalog/roc-dx-full-color-skull-p-786.html

My off-season bags are as follows:

Carolina:
173g ESP or FLX Predator (trying out the FLX for the winter)
173g FLX Surge (I only throw this in the winter)
175g SOLF
171g SOLF (beat)
171g Star Teebird
171g Star TL
171g JLS (well worn)
171g DX Banshee (dependable expendable)

177g DX Rancho Roc (new)
180g DX Rancho Roc (straight)
177g FLX Buzz (turnover)

175g SS Wizard (beat)
175g SS Wizard (newish)
175g S Wizard (newish)

Mini (I plan to play this bag with snow on the ground or in extreme cold):
173g ESP or FLX Predator
171g DX Banshee (dependable expendable)
173g FLX Surge
175g DX Teebird (newish)
175g DX Gazelle (newish)
171g JLS (beat)
177g DX Rancho Roc (straight)
177g FLX Buzz (turnover)
175g SS Wizard (beat)
175g S Wizard (newish)

I might also throw in a 175g DX Valkyrie.