• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Official Ask Discmania Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
$30 is too much for a disc to me, but I still went ahead and did it in no small part because my original color glow md3 cost $30 after shipping YEARS ago. even $25 is pushing it - I was really disappointed to see the '21 sexton firebirds retail for that...

I also got a couple color glow chariots to try out but those were $25 from infinite, so trying out MD3s / MD3 replacements for me is just a more expensive thing that I've decied to put up with. probably won't be buying anymore for a long time, though

It's really weird but $25 for a tour series disc seems reasonable to me but once you hit $30 it almost becomes a deal breaker.

My OCD is like an onion I guess. Many layers.

All valid. There's no debating that the price is steep Will that ever change for DM? I'm really curious if they can regain their footing. Their plastic is no doubt some of the most expensive.

I also didn't realize so many throwers here considered the new Md3 to be distinctly different than the new original?

DM has, in a way, already addressed the $30 price point. They are producing discs overseas and using air transport to get discs to the US quickly. This is especially the case for special releases like the IS3. This is very expensive and likely explains the price increase across all of the DM originals line. I imagine this is also why we are all still waiting for the promised Q4 FD and PD releases. It just takes time to move the inventory from overseas. Is it a smart business move? I think time will tell.

I have to imagine that DM is piling up inventory for a series of back to back releases moving into the Spring/Early Summer. I hope that the spring looks something like the fall of 2021 with lots of releases and plenty of inventory. I guess we'll know more once DM puts out the long awaited and promised production update.

Quantity manufactured - seems like they got a years worth available in a single drop (15k+ worldwide?). Used to only see 2-3 releases scattered throughout the year totaling 5k or 7k. Having enough available to meet demand through the early season may be DM's goal.

Price - escalated a bit more with shipping + tax costs, 1 disc for $35+ is a lot direct from the DM store or other vendors. I remember the DM Tour C-Line Glow signature series from 2018-2020 were $22-25 before shipping. Even then it was consistently a few dollars more than other manufacturers Tour fundraiser discs. Partially this was due to another company manufacturing their discs but I'm guessing the guaranteed money from sponsorship contracts, new manufacturing operation, inflation, and container shipping to U.S. are pushing the prices up.

Stamp - design isn't too bad, no special foils though so you won't have collectors trying to assemble a full set.

Quantity manufactured - seems like they got a years worth available in a single drop (15k+ worldwide?). Used to only see 2-3 releases scattered throughout the year totaling 5k or 7k. Having enough available to meet demand through the early season may be DM's goal.

Price - escalated a bit more with shipping + tax costs, 1 disc for $35+ is a lot direct from the DM store or other vendors. I remember the DM Tour C-Line Glow signature series from 2018-2020 were $22-25 before shipping. Even then it was consistently a few dollars more than other manufacturers Tour fundraiser discs. Partially this was due to another company manufacturing their discs but I'm guessing the guaranteed money from sponsorship contracts, new manufacturing operation, inflation, and container shipping to U.S. are pushing the prices up.

Stamp - design isn't too bad, no special foils though so you won't have collectors trying to assemble a full set.

I didn't see that many when I got on, so that makes sense. I also didn't convert to DM until last year, so I didn't have previous drops as a reference. Your theory makes a lot of sense.

DM has, in a way, already addressed the $30 price point. They are producing discs overseas and using air transport to get discs to the US quickly. This is especially the case for special releases like the IS3. This is very expensive and likely explains the price increase across all of the DM originals line. I imagine this is also why we are all still waiting for the promised Q4 FD and PD releases. It just takes time to move the inventory from overseas. Is it a smart business move? I think time will tell.

I get the whole overseas logistics thing. I think the higher prices honestly have more to do with recovering the cost of new equipment or facilities. I can get base plastic trilogy stuff for $9 and tour series Wysocki Felons and Harps are only $25. These things all make pretty much the same trip to get here.

Edit- sorry, didn't realize they were flying the discs into the states. I would assume Trilogy just puts them on a ship or whatever.

Last edited:
I get the whole overseas logistics thing. I think the higher prices honestly have more to do with recovering the cost of new equipment or facilities. I can get base plastic trilogy stuff for $9 and tour series Wysocki Felons and Harps are only $25. These things all make pretty much the same trip to get here.

Edit- sorry, didn't realize they were flying the discs into the states. I would assume Trilogy just puts them on a ship or whatever.

Yeah, it is the air transport that really bumps the price up. DM support posted on this thread about it a few weeks ago. I think Trilogy has a well established supply and production chain which DM lacks. So in order to get discs to the US for special releases they end up flying them over which increases the price. I assume they don't do this for the base line releases which is why those release dates keep getting pushed back.

Just my theory.

I won't be paying $30 for a stock FD or PD.

I vaguely remember saying I wouldn't pay $15 for a mid grade plastic putter too. 😟

Discmania Support Reply

Any theories on why there are still several IS3s still available? First glow plastic, infamous DM signature disc, Eagle. I thought they'd push.

Also, anyone have any thoughts/theories why DM has such limited color variety when it comes to their plastic? Everything has been pink and blue for quite some time. Special edition discs will yield different colors, but why?

Color glow is kind of tricky. There's a reason you don't see purple, yellow, orange or even more radical colors like grey or black because the glow portion of it is no longer effective. Some have been made in the past but pink and blue have proven to be the brightest glow versions other than simply white, of course.

Yeah, it is the air transport that really bumps the price up. DM support posted on this thread about it a few weeks ago. I think Trilogy has a well established supply and production chain which DM lacks. So in order to get discs to the US for special releases they end up flying them over which increases the price. I assume they don't do this for the base line releases which is why those release dates keep getting pushed back.

Just my theory.

No one has a well established supply chain right now. :) Sea freight has been about as large of a gamble as any business can take. Our last container received in 2021 was shipped around February-March and arrived in December, normally taking about 8 weeks max. Most recent containers did seem to arrive in a more reliable time frame so it's possible that we could see some improvement in that regard with US ports.

Color glow is kind of tricky. There's a reason you don't see purple, yellow, orange or even more radical colors like grey or black because the glow portion of it is no longer effective. Some have been made in the past but pink and blue have proven to be the brightest glow versions other than simply white, of course.

No one has a well established supply chain right now. :) Sea freight has been about as large of a gamble as any business can take. Our last container received in 2021 was shipped around February-March and arrived in December, normally taking about 8 weeks max. Most recent containers did seem to arrive in a more reliable time frame so it's possible that we could see some improvement in that regard with US ports.

Yeah IIRC even in the era of ol' Rancho Cucamonga, you only had blue/turquoise, pink and sometimes orange.

I was hoping for seafoam colored Color Glow MD3s. All I've seen so far is pretty much blue. Also to be frank I think quite a lot of people who buy and throw Color Glow do it because of the plastic's unique feel and flight, not because of its glow performance.

I was hoping for seafoam colored Color Glow MD3s. All I've seen so far is pretty much blue. Also to be frank I think quite a lot of people who buy and throw Color Glow do it because of the plastic's unique feel and flight, not because of its glow performance.

A tiny amount of green Rit Dyemore in lotion, slathered on a blue disc will get your seafoam color.

Pretty much this for me. I don't really even play in the dark but I do like that a lot of the glow plastics are usually a little softer and grippier so if I'm buying one it's more just that I like the feel of the plastic.

Pretty much this for me. I don't really even play in the dark but I do like that a lot of the glow plastics are usually a little softer and grippier so if I'm buying one it's more just that I like the feel of the plastic.

True. Thougj I'd love to play a real glow round (as we have quite the number of dark hours in Finland outside of midnight sun summers) but you have to find a really nice secluded course that has zero light pollution. Even a single industrial light uncovered messes with your vision for ways away. And you have to get other people to commit to glow only (not LED) and not ruining night vision with flashlights. Let your eyes get nice and adjusted.

DM has, in a way, already addressed the $30 price point. They are producing discs overseas and using air transport to get discs to the US quickly. This is especially the case for special releases like the IS3. This is very expensive and likely explains the price increase across all of the DM originals line.

So when they start shipping on boats again are the prices going to go down?

Just so everyone knows, I'm trolling. I stopped throwing DM when I couldn't get CD2s anymore. But, I really think this should be a question for people throwing DM.

Just so everyone knows, I'm trolling. I stopped throwing DM when I couldn't get CD2s anymore. But, I really think this should be a question for people throwing DM.

Continuing the troll and topic drift, but why is this specifically a question for DM throwers? Sexton Firebirds were $29.99 last year from Innova's website, no overseas shipping required.

Heck, Paul Mcbeth base plastic Luna's are $22 on Discrafts website right now. (or $24.99 if you'd rather have them with a starwars theme stamp instead of a stock stamp)

I think this really is more a question for Disc Golf in general of what the market will bear for tour series discs.
Personally, I bought a stack of the Perkins Zen because the Essence is a go-to disc in my bag. I bought a stack of the Klein Origin despite never throwing them before because he's a local and I wanted to support his tour efforts. I haven't bought any IS3's partially because $30 is more than I want to spend for a single disc and partially because I barely threw my IS2 enough last year to break it in and I've still got a backup on the shelf in case I lose the bagged one.

Price of individual discs aside, I think it's awesome that you can hop on DM's website right now and order 4 different tour series discs and 16 different molds (if my count is correct) in various plastics. Certainly an improvement from 2 years ago even if it's not back to pre-covid availability and options.

I think it is a valid question, even if you are just trolling. I don't think DM prices are generally unreasonable. Most of the premium plastics are in the 18-20 $ range which is fairly consistent with the rest of the market. The $30 price point for tour series/special edition originals is pushing it though. If I had to guess, I think DM will probably not decrease the price as long as things are selling. I also do wonder what % the player is getting because I certainly don't mind paying a little extra to support players.

Status
Not open for further replies.