• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Official Discraft ZONE Thread

Thinking about (read: will be) picking up another Zone. My only experience is the Jawbreaker. I love how that plastic sticks to the ground, but seems to beat into straight-ish quicker than I'd like. What's the standard preferred plastic if you were going to grab just one? ESP? ZFLX? One of these Crystal or Ledgestone ones, etc?

A Zone is pretty much a Zone, I'd say it just depends on your prefered plastic type. Been bagging one of the new swirly ESP for a few months and love it. Before that I bagged a Ti and loved it as well. The ESP has maybe beat a touch straighter but I could just be imagining things. All premium plastics will start beefy and stay that way for a long time. My 2015 Ledgestone Ti Zones have the same flight that they've always had. I picked up one of the new Ti and the plastic is a touch less firm than the 2015, have only field thrown it a couple times and it flies like a Zone.

I personally think the new Ti Zones hit the sweet spot for best mix of grip, firmness and flight. But that very subjective.

I kinda want 'em all.

This. I have to actively prevent myself from getting more, because I don't need any. My old puddle topped ESP is still as overstable as the day I got it, and I have a couple of last years Cryztal Ledgestones that have never been thrown. So other than another Pro-D for next year, I absolutely don't need any more.

BUT I WANT THEM.

I kinda want 'em all. What about the Cryztal flags?

Like the 2017 Cryztal Ledgestones, they look to be puddle topped. (This is from inquiries from several online retailers, but there may be some flat ones out there.)

Thinking about (read: will be) picking up another Zone. My only experience is the Jawbreaker. I love how that plastic sticks to the ground, but seems to beat into straight-ish quicker than I'd like. What's the standard preferred plastic if you were going to grab just one? ESP? ZFLX? One of these Crystal or Ledgestone ones, etc?

ZFLX doesn't skip much. It's my favorite Zone plastic. Oldest disc in my bag because the thing is bullet proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_UjqWoB3T4
Or if you want something that sticks even better to the ground, you can still get some Glo ESP-FLX Zone's from 2017's run. Flexier than ZFLX and plenty durable: http://www.discbaron.com/Discraft-ESP-FLX-Glo-Zone-p/db1017539.htm

Like the 2017 Cryztal Ledgestones, they look to be puddle topped. (This is from inquiries from several online retailers, but there may be some flat ones out there.)

ZFLX doesn't skip much. It's my favorite Zone plastic. Oldest disc in my bag because the thing is bullet proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_UjqWoB3T4
Or if you want something that sticks even better to the ground, you can still get some Glo ESP-FLX Zone's from 2017's run. Flexier than ZFLX and plenty durable: http://www.discbaron.com/Discraft-ESP-FLX-Glo-Zone-p/db1017539.htm

Very cool and very helpful, thanks!

I love my jawbreaker zone because it does what none of my other putters do. That said, it also rolls away like a boss :( I still love it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been throwing a new Ledgestone and 10 year lately and they just aren't the beef we expect, but they do glide a bit on those flex shots. That's nice.

I love my jawbreaker zone because it does what none of my other putters do. That said, it also rolls away like a boss :( I still love it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, can you try to land less on edge? It's such a sticky plastic if it lands right.

So as I have been making it my mission this summer to develop a forehand, my Zone has become increasingly valuable to me. I currently only have my 1 Cryztal FLX ledgestone from 2015, and I think it's time I grab a couple more.

I'm thinking a nice flat top ESP for instances where I am looking for more ground game / skip than the FLX will offer. Is there another plastic, outside of the two mentioned, that you think the Zone is particularly great in? Or any particular run? (such as X year ledgestone, color shifts, etc.)

Also, do you ever have to worry about domey Zones? Particularly if ordering online? It doesn't seem like a mold that would be prone to ever coming out domey, but I don't like any of my mids or putters to be domey.

So as I have been making it my mission this summer to develop a forehand, my Zone has become increasingly valuable to me. I currently only have my 1 Cryztal FLX ledgestone from 2015, and I think it's time I grab a couple more.

I'm thinking a nice flat top ESP for instances where I am looking for more ground game / skip than the FLX will offer. Is there another plastic, outside of the two mentioned, that you think the Zone is particularly great in? Or any particular run? (such as X year ledgestone, color shifts, etc.)

Also, do you ever have to worry about domey Zones? Particularly if ordering online? It doesn't seem like a mold that would be prone to ever coming out domey, but I don't like any of my mids or putters to be domey.

I don't have a particular run I am fond of, but as far as dome...yes they can be domey.

The older runs of ESP would occasionally have some serious dome, not sure about the newer runs of ESP. I would try to order from a place that lists such info as dome, flat, puddle, etc.

The supercolor(?) ESP 10 year zones I have seen are domey. First domey Zone I've ever seen, actually.

As far as skippy zones, I would recommend older ESP for one you can get your hands on at regular retail prices. Have not tried 2018 ESP or Ti, but I imagine they are just terrrrrific. Keep in mind also that I find no matter what the plastic, the Zone is not a particularly skippy disc. Skippiest of all possible OS approach discs? Yeah probably close to it, but still not that skippy.

If you can get a Z zone that's where it's at, not sure how easy they are to track down. Mine is black and stamped "special edition."

If you can get a Z zone that's where it's at, not sure how easy they are to track down. Mine is black and stamped "special edition."

Thanks to Ledgestone the Z Zones are a lot easier to find nowadays. Few years back they were really hard to find and usually special editions like yours or limited glow Z Zones. Prefer the Z, Big Z, CryZtal and ESP ones myself. Currently using ESP in the day bag and glow Z in the glow bag. :hfive:

I saw Andrew Fish at a recent tournament and couldn't help notice a Zone visible in his UPD bag (Rebel?)

I believe it was a Z, but might have been Cryztal. The stamp looked a lot like this, though I think they had some Z's a year or two back with a similar appearance.

Personally, I just fell for one of the Cryztal Flag 2018's. I picked it over the Colorshift and BigZ simply because there was only one left, with quite a few of the others available. Clear Cryztal plastic is a beautiful thing.

Personally, I just fell for one of the Cryztal Flag 2018's. I picked it over the Colorshift and BigZ simply because there was only one left, with quite a few of the others available. Clear Cryztal plastic is a beautiful thing.

Damn straight. My first ever Zone was a perfectly clear Cryztal Zone, small LE stamp. Used now for glow season, with an LED light taped to the bottom. Still resists any attempt at turn, and is pretty good at skipping.

JB Zone that's been in the bag for a while is pretty well beat. Still doesn't turn, I mean if I OAT it at full power it'll appear to turn, but thrown clean it would need a heck of a headwind to really flip at all. The fade has gotten mellower, but it is still a glideless turd (slightly concave top). Sort of similar to the flight of a brand new Star Rat, slightly dumpier.

I just bought a replacement JB, but mostly because it's so thrashed that it's starting to impact my grip. Still flies fine, but takes too dang long to find a clean piece of the rim to hang on to! Lifesaver for tight FH upshots.

JB Zone that's been in the bag for a while is pretty well beat. Still doesn't turn, I mean if I OAT it at full power it'll appear to turn, but thrown clean it would need a heck of a headwind to really flip at all. The fade has gotten mellower, but it is still a glideless turd (slightly concave top). Sort of similar to the flight of a brand new Star Rat, slightly dumpier.

I just bought a replacement JB, but mostly because it's so thrashed that it's starting to impact my grip. Still flies fine, but takes too dang long to find a clean piece of the rim to hang on to! Lifesaver for tight FH upshots.

If it's anything like my first Pro-D was it will hold that stability until one day it just flips. Hard.

If it's anything like my first Pro-D was it will hold that stability until one day it just flips. Hard.

When I played with Sgamerp at IDGC, he had a D Zone like what your describing. That was an odd flying disc.

I just got that Cryztal Flag-dyed 2018 Ledgestone Zone. Wow that's a puddle-top! I now realize I had never seen a puddle Zone before. How do these compare to standard ESP puddles?

I'm not sure how I like the grip. Flat-tops definitely feel more comfortable, but I'm sure I can find a place for what I expect to be a total meathook.

I had a friend pick up several discs for me from ledgestone. I got 2 jawbreaker challengers, 2 coffin stamped undertakers, and 1 bar stamp swirl esp zone. The zone has a minor puddle top but nothing particularly out of the ordinary from my experience. Can't want to put a few in the bag for league tonight!