• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Official Discraft ZONE Thread

I've happily jumped back on the zone train (i mean, I've been aboard most of the season now), and am probably here to stay. Great mold, can do so much. Got a couple swirly ESPs and a Z with Am winnings from my last couple events, plus a utility puddle top.

Anywho, hit an ace with a blue swirl ESP, flat, maybe slightly puddle top, on a short BH downhill blind hole. First ace in a couple years (and first ace with a disc not called an Envy). Boom!

The swirly ESP plastic feels great but the colors aren't really vibrant.

That's for sure. I searched every online retailer for the brightest pink swirly zone I could find. Finally found one that appeared fairly bright, but it arrived and is about as muted as every swirly ESP I have found locally. the coloration itself is pretty pink, but it just absorbs light and does not really show very well.

The backside of the disc displays a mucus-like, sickly green plastic that they attempt to mix the pink and white coloration into, which is really what neutralizes the brightness of the pink.

A yellow or green color might be brighter, as it wont be actively being offset by the greenish plastic.

A yellow or green color might be brighter, as it wont be actively being offset by the greenish plastic.

Mine is a green/yellow swirl that looked more chartreuse online but, alas, is pretty much grass colored. I think some of the white blends may be the most visible.

^^Had to search for my greenish Zone for about 20 minutes the other day. Probably passed by it a dozen times before finding it at eye level in a vine covered tree.

It's gone to the shelf until fall/winter in favor of a pink Ti Ledgestone. The new Ti is definitely less firm the the older run Ti.

I have a puddle-top ESP Zone for a year or so. It's a valuable disc in my bag. Comes in handy for all kinds of out-of-trouble situations and for short overstable drives.

Now I ordered a JB Zone, just to see what a baseline plastic Zone is like. And wow! ... that's a nice disc! Somehow it seems to fly smoother than all my other discs. Don't know, it just flies so clean. :) Flat release with a good fade at the end. Want to throw it over and over again! :)

Sadly, I have no slot free for the JB Zone ... all occupied by P3s. ;-) But we'll see, maybe it'll fight (or charm) it's way into the bag.

The jawbreaker zones season nicely, this year I've been carrying a jawbreaker and an esp zone for straight to over stable and very over stable approaches.

I could likely get away with only one in the bag, but the different plastics compliment one another and work well.

For those of you throwing jawbreaker zones, how have they been seasoning in for you? Does the HSS or LSS seem to diminish quicker?

Also, is Jawbreaker a plastic type that's OK to throw in cold weather or does it shatter?

My only zone is jawbreaker so I can't compare it. I have hit a few trees over the past year but for the most part, it feels very much like it did when I first threw it. I don't know if I ever took it out below 45 degrees; I've thrown a jawbreaker challenger in freezing temps and had it crash onto pavement with no major damage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

would a JB zone ever completely straighten out? I sorta want to throw zones for all my approach shots.

For those of you throwing jawbreaker zones, how have they been seasoning in for you? Does the HSS or LSS seem to diminish quicker?

Also, is Jawbreaker a plastic type that's OK to throw in cold weather or does it shatter?

My Jawbreaker held up just fine in winter sub 32 degree temps. Hitting rock hard ground and a few tree hits. No shatter. It sticks to the ground really well instead of skipping.

It's probably lost some stability since new, I'd say it's lost more LSS but still works. That said I'm going to grab a Zflx or something next week and pair them.

Awesome, thanks deyo7. That was exactly the info I was looking for. I've been bagging a Ti Zone that I'm expecting to stay utility OS for years. Just picked up a JB Zone to go with it and right out of the box it's less OS. Hoping it will develop a little wiggle and be a nice pairing for the Ti.

would a JB zone ever completely straighten out? I sorta want to throw zones for all my approach shots.

Mine on decent rip goes pretty straight now. Gentle approaches with adjusted hyzer all day.

Mine would flip up some but still fade per normal. Sadly lost it today. Back to my pro D :)

Haven't bought a zone in a while

1. I like puddle top esp for OS. Any other options right now or is esp still the best?

2. What about a soft zone in premium plastic? Zflex?

3. What's the least stable zone I can buy out of the box?

1. I like puddle top esp for OS. Any other options right now or is esp still the best?

1. Puddle ESP is great, I have one of the new runs that's a slight puddletop. I also like the old and new Ti Zones. The new Ti is a little grippier and maybe a tick less stable than the old Ti. The old Ledgestone Ti is the most OS Zone I've thrown.

2. I have a couple of soft X that are nice for sticking and a touch less stable than premium plastic. Soft X isn't great for an approach disc, it gets chewed up pretty easy.

3. I assume D though I haven't thrown one, the soft X I mentioned above and for premium I've found that the Ledgestone ESP Glo FLX is a touch less stable than other premium plastic(one for sale in my marketplace thread).

All Zones are OS though.

I have cryZtal and Zflx for OS. . the Zflx is very nice and very OS

New ESP for "normal OS" shots. .. .and beat in ProD for more straight shots

The new ESP Zones pretty great.

Interesting. I tried a JB zone, the first tree I hit it turned into a flip machine like it was a completely different mold. Did I get a lemon?

I have tried a few zones and the most OS by far is the concave Cryztal Z, they are beefcakes and feel like they will stay that way forever. I find most of the other plastics have a very similar stability with X, D, and JB starting out the most neutral.

I would have to say my favorite plastic is the Big Z, followed closely by the color glo, with the Cryztal Z in thrid. I do like the Z Flx as well for the colder months.

Latest posts