• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Official Discraft ZONE Thread

I picked up a Ti Zone but haven't taken it out of the plastic yet. I've been throwing the same flat Champion Gator for years. What will the zone do that the Gator won't? Is it basically the same disc but slightly smaller?

I love my Zone for FH approach shots. Amazing how often that is useful. It gives you a lot of freedom to be able to make that shot, because you can choose to go around a hazard in your line to the right, or get a comfortable FH stance when a BH stance would not be.

The one problem I have with my ESP Zone is it will skip a lot and sometimes roll - too much action after it lands. Sometimes I want that, but there are a couple holes in particular I really don't. Any suggestions for a plastic that might sit better when it lands? The ESP Zone is actually getting better at this with wear, but maybe there is a Soft plastic?

I love my Zone for FH approach shots. Amazing how often that is useful. It gives you a lot of freedom to be able to make that shot, because you can choose to go around a hazard in your line to the right, or get a comfortable FH stance when a BH stance would not be.

The one problem I have with my ESP Zone is it will skip a lot and sometimes roll - too much action after it lands. Sometimes I want that, but there are a couple holes in particular I really don't. Any suggestions for a plastic that might sit better when it lands? The ESP Zone is actually getting better at this with wear, but maybe there is a Soft plastic?

Crystal FLX. They are like $20-25 and not as soft as I hoped, but definitely softer than ESP and absorbs impact better. What I really want is a Zone in Westside BT Soft, since the Harp, as nice as it is, is no Zone.

All Zone plastics skip. I generally control their skip by adding some height to my throw.

If that doesn't work for you, I would look at an Innova Pig. Almost as beefy as the Zone in Pro (beefier in Blizzard Champ), and it's not prone to skipping.

Thanks for the replies, I'll check out Crystal FLX and the Pig. Putting more Height on it makes sense, but I also tend to keep it low to try to land as flat as possible.

I picked up a Ti Zone but haven't taken it out of the plastic yet. I've been throwing the same flat Champion Gator for years. What will the zone do that the Gator won't? Is it basically the same disc but slightly smaller?

Not quite. The Zone is more like a small diameter overstable Buzzz whereas the Gator is a...Gator. The Zone is overstable but still has glide. This gives it a smooth forward penetrating fade. The Gator wants to find the ground very fast so it tends to drop fast once it starts fading.

Going to offer an alternate viewpoint, but I'll preface it by saying that Roman probably throws much further than I do.

I've always felt that my Zones bite quite hard at the end of their flights giving it more of an L-shaped flight. I've only thrown one Gator (second run DX-stamped Champ Glow), but the biggest difference I found was in their speeds. The Gator is much faster making it longer but less reliable at shorter distances. I would trust a Zone around 150', but I would worry about the Gator flying long. I imagine that could've changed if I'd taken more time to get comfortable with the Gator though. The Zone itself is quite adept at longer distances, but it's not going to fly as far as the Gator.

Last edited:
^Take what TBird says as truth on this. Then add this:

I've thrown Glow/Champ Gators for a good while. I've recently gotten into Zones. Here's what I've seen.
Gators don't really glide, but they have good distance potential. For me, they'll work straight for a while before they fade out if ripped hard.
Zones are lazers with their low profile. The most OS ones I have are more OS than any Gator I have and start fading out right out of the hand. The least OS ESP Zone I have will go straight for a while before it hooks up hard, more like my Gators. But my Gators will go farther. I could likely cover most of the shots that I'm now using a Zone and an old super-OS Q sentinel for with just my Gator, but the pair gives me better coverage at the long and short ends.
YOu really ought to just pick whichever feels better in your hand. One is a really fast super OS tweener/putter. The other is a slow super OS blunt, beaded mid. You are going to be able to push the Gator out further, if that is important to you. But the Gator will still perform powered down super OS fade or flex lines with some time to learn that shot.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a one trick pony to cover all OS shots in your bag, definitely go with the Gator simply because it's longer, but if you carry a Firebird, Trident, Felon, (insert the OS driver you enjoy), then the Zone is the way to go.

If you're looking for a one trick pony to cover all OS shots in your bag, definitely go with the Gator simply because it's longer, but if you carry a Firebird, Trident, Felon, (insert the OS driver you enjoy), then the Zone is the way to go.

For me, the gap between Zone and FB is too big. I used Gator FB for a long time, but now it's Zone - Q-Sentinel - FB.

Sometimes when it's super windy i'll putt with the pro-d zone, instead of my wizard. The zone is just unfazed by wind. However it is a little fast & prone to rolls and then i'll have a bigger comeback putt if i miss.

What's your super windy day putter? And is there a better windy day putter than the zone? (if i'm used to a wizard)

I used to think changing putters to a zone was smart. Then I watched pros to see if they switch. Nope, still slinging a neutral aviar right into the chains. Learning how the wind changes the flight of your putter isn't fun or easy, but you'll be a better putter.

Sometimes when it's super windy i'll putt with the pro-d zone, instead of my wizard. The zone is just unfazed by wind. However it is a little fast & prone to rolls and then i'll have a bigger comeback putt if i miss.

What's your super windy day putter? And is there a better windy day putter than the zone? (if i'm used to a wizard)

I stay with my Wizards. Into a headwind, I just take a ton off and let it float slowly to the basket, and with a tailwind I aim high and putt hard.

Every time I step up to a putt I have a Scale and a Voodoo in my hands. Once I stand over my lie, I know which one to throw at the chains.

I came here to say exactly what Stardoggy and davidrboy said. Either use the Wizard and learn exactly how the wind affects you, or give a big middle finger to the wind and putt with a Scale. The bottom half of the mold IS a Wizard.

Putting into a 20+mph wind my Scale still has a decently aggressive hyzer.

My Wizards are used in all putting conditions though. Imo it is better for your game to only have one putter mold that you practice and play with.

I see all these people locally have 5-6 different putter molds in their bag, and they "practice" putt with all of them. Just crazy to think that your Champion Aviar is going to help you learn to putt your 4/10 Polecat. Especially when followed by a PA1, Aero, 400PA2, Judge, Spike, and Dart.

TL;DR Stick with your Wizards. If in gale-force winds, the Scale will do you well.

Last edited:
My Pro-D lost more HSS over the two years I threw it. I benched it when it flipped horribly on me. It still had plenty of fade. You'll get the chance to throw it in a little under a month...

I have a bright pink ESP Zone (and an identical backup) that is my only "won't play DG without it" disc. I use it for both FH and BH approach shots, for putting into ridiculous headwinds, and overhand get-out-of-trouble shots, and generally when nothing else makes sense.

So much so that guys I play with will often remark about "that damn pink disc" of mine.