• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Official Discraft ZONE Thread

Thanks!

Before Zones I threw frontline-x Mortars which I loved, but I only have one left and the original mold is gone. Before that I threw med. and soft Harps.

I'll pick up a K1 Soft Jarn. I'd pick up an A2 if someone can recommend a flexible prodigy plastic. OTB has all the plastics (incl. 300 Soft) marked pretty stiff.

@Moose33 - have you tried the Lone Star Artemis? I havent tried anything from Lone Star, but Bravo plastic seems worth trying.

200 and 300 soft are similar to BT Medium stiffness, I'd say. 400 is often similar to K1 and usually even softer, but never close to K1 Soft

I have a 400 H3-V2 that feels awesome, but it's the older plastic that had the cloudiness issues. I just checked out some A2s in my local shop last week. The new 400 plastic that's now made in China feels more like Champ or C-Line now. The 500 plastic is definitely more stiff than you want, even the 500 Spectrum. I haven't felt anything in 750 yet. I love the A2. It's my new favorite approach disc. More stability and longer flights than the Zone for me. But I would like one in a softer plastic.

Anyone have any thoughts on Jawbreaker vs Rubber Blend vs Soft Zone, for good flight with controlled ground play? I know they all beat in pretty quick, but in looking for backups for the Jawbreaker one I currently bag, I'm curious about the other two...

Thanks Moose for the reply and the info - Infinite has the Artemis marked 4302, so I'm happy to hear its got beef. I'll definitely check that out. My bag has been mostly set for a while, so this is a good opportunity to support Emerson's team and try new stuff.

Thanks again Ell for dropping knowledge.

I'll pick up a 400 A2, K1 Soft Jarn, Bravo Artemis, and metal flake flx Zone. I dont imagine anyone super cares what makes it into my bag, but if anyone wants a comparison Im happy to write one up. I've got Harps, Toros, Gators (oo, no I dont, I have Caimans) and an unobtainable Mortar to compare against if anyone wants to know.

Anyone have any thoughts on Jawbreaker vs Rubber Blend vs Soft Zone, for good flight with controlled ground play? I know they all beat in pretty quick, but in looking for backups for the Jawbreaker one I currently bag, I'm curious about the other two...
I dont have a Jawbreaker, but the Soft and Rubber blends have great grip. Both Soft and Rubber are pretty stiff, but they flex enough that they tend to minimize the big flaring skips you can get with Zs kept on a slight hyzer. They'll still have some ground play though.

Softs start off in the ballpark, but on the mellow side for Zones. They season pretty quick. Ive got a pretty straight one that's been in the bag less than a year.

I havent thrown the Rubber blend much. They're grippy but I dont really like the texture. The one I field tested seemed like normal to stable for a Zone. I dont know how they season.

I'll pick up a 400 A2, K1 Soft Jarn, Bravo Artemis, and metal flake flx Zone. I dont imagine anyone super cares what makes it into my bag, but if anyone wants a comparison Im happy to write one up. I've got Harps, Toros, Gators (oo, no I dont, I have Caimans) and an unobtainable Mortar to compare against if anyone wants to know.
Nah I'm good, I like Zones just fine.

Thanks Moose for the reply and the info - Infinite has the Artemis marked 4302, so I'm happy to hear its got beef. I'll definitely check that out. My bag has been mostly set for a while, so this is a good opportunity to support Emerson's team and try new stuff.
As a Lonestar thrower I can confirm that Artemis (originally released as a 4303) and with team member feedback was adjusted to 4302 going forward, is NOT as overstable as Harps/Zones/Toros. Flies much more like a Roc (or Shark since it is beadless) than an true overstable approach disc. Lonestar has the Harpoon which is more what you would be looking for (listed at 4302 which is true for the premium plastics) with their version of baseline plastics (specifically Victor 2) being MUCH more overstable. They offer soft premiums and soft mid grade plastics. Only knock on the Harpoon from people who do not like them is that they are a lot shallower than the Zone and Harp but they fly almost exactly the same. As a former Harp thrower, I will say the Harpoon has less glide than a Harp and the Artemis has more straight flight glide before a gentle finish than either the Zone or the Harp.

My Soft Zone tacoed the first time it saw a tree, never threw any disc that tacoed as easily. It's not bad, per se, and I like the grippiness, but I stopped being able to throw it on backhands because my grip wasn't reliable with all the indents.

My Soft Zone tacoed the first time it saw a tree, never threw any disc that tacoed as easily. It's not bad, per se, and I like the grippiness, but I stopped being able to throw it on backhands because my grip wasn't reliable with all the indents.
oh ya, definitely dont hit trees with them. I have a very warped Soft without much other wear on it from a close tree hit. I have another that slid over black top one time and the bottom is shredded from the road rash. I've tacoed a R-Pro Dragon way worse though.

@PoM
Thanks for the comparison. After poking around a bit I'm hearing that the Harpoon isnt always very OS either. I'll try to get flat ones in each and give 'em a shot. The plastic sounds pretty nice.

@discerdoo
no one is compelling your participation here. you should feel free to not post if you dont have anything to say.

@PoM
Thanks for the comparison. After poking around a bit I'm hearing that the Harpoon isnt always very OS either. I'll try to get flat ones in each and give 'em a shot. The plastic sounds pretty nice.
Yes, the Premium plastic Harpoons are not very OS, they are just Overstable, but not meat hooks. The baseline plastic ones are board flat and way more overstable than their premium counterparts. Victor 2 is the most overstable plastic for them (feels alot like K3 hard plastic from Kastaplast for comparison, firm but with grip and some flexability), and Victor plastic floats in water even at max weight, which is a bonus. The Delta plastic runs (firm and soft) are both very close Harps in both feel and flight, but do tend to break in a little faster. For Lone Star, putters and mids in baseline plastics are more overstable, fairways and distance drivers the premiums are more overstable, specifically in Bravo (soft plastic) and the Founders and Charlie special run plastics.

I wouldnt be trying to find a clone if Zones werent so freaking cool.

Maybe the metal flake will work, but Im a little tired of paying 22+ a disc for special runs to find out what it does when it hits the ground.

Assuming you sleep in the bushes outside the DC office, please tell Kenner to get some decent soft baseline plastic.

Took me too long to notice that they have Glo Get Freaky zones up on the team discraft website. I have a couple glo Z zones, but I really only like regular Z on a hot summer day on an open course. I'm often playing glow rounds in the fall and winter, and regular Z turns into an icicle.

I've tried glow harps and toros, but they just don't feel the same.

Finally got the glo freakys in the mail, and they feel pretty nice. Not a super bright glo, but good enough. Need to season them up in the woods a bit and then they'll go on the shelf for my glo bag. Thanks for running them discraft folks!

Took me too long to notice that they have Glo Get Freaky zones up on the team discraft website. I have a couple glo Z zones, but I really only like regular Z on a hot summer day on an open course. I'm often playing glow rounds in the fall and winter, and regular Z turns into an icicle.

I've tried glow harps and toros, but they just don't feel the same.

Finally got the glo freakys in the mail, and they feel pretty nice. Not a super bright glo, but good enough. Need to season them up in the woods a bit and then they'll go on the shelf for my glo bag. Thanks for running them discraft folks!
Any idea how well the Jawbreaker glo ones light up?

I didn't even know they made glo jawbreaker zones. I keep musing about carrying jawbreaker as a straight driving putter, but they just aren't that plentiful around me.

I didn't even know they made glo jawbreaker zones. I keep musing about carrying jawbreaker as a straight driving putter, but they just aren't that plentiful around me.
Yeah they're available from ledgestone

Ah, thanks for the link. I've generally stopped buying Ledgestone discs new, but that's just personal preference about where my money goes. I probably would have broken that rule for a Z Flx Glo Zone (but ultimately didn't have to make that choice). I do admit Ledgestone has a fun thing going with Discraft; lots of runs of unique plastic+mold combos. I wish Ben Callaway well.

Latest posts