• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Official Discraft ZONE Thread

i know this has to have been discussed before on here, and i can't figure out how to search this thread, but i'm new to the Zone's and am looking for info on the order of plastic stability

Usually you have to take into account whether they are puddle topped or board flat. Puddles are dumpier. I had a puddled topped Jawbreaker, that started just as OS as ESP.
Otherwise, like most molds, baseline plastics are generally less stable or quickly become less stable. Premium, more overstable.

I'd feel some up if you can, see what feels better in your grip, flat/puddle-wise. If that's not an option, OTBDiscs and DiscBaron list that info, if you think you might have a preference. Try an ESP to start.

How are this year's various Ledgestone Zones working for people? Any info on the multiple plastics would be good. Dome, flat, or puddle? How about stability? More, less, or just as overstable as you would expect?

How are this year's various Ledgestone Zones working for people? Any info on the multiple plastics would be good. Dome, flat, or puddle? How about stability? More, less, or just as overstable as you would expect?

Not Ledgestone but I got one each of the swirly ESP and Ti production runs.

ESP- slight puddle, kinda firm, typical ESP plastic. Bagging it instead of an older Ledgestone Ti, just as beefy.

Ti - board flat, plastic is slightly more grippy than the older Ti. Maybe a tick less OS than the new ESP. I wouldn't hesitate to put it in the bag.

Attachments

• 20180412_190333.jpg
    20180412_190333.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 44

I got a new ledgestone Big Z zone, it is a hog (in a good way). Its more stable than my Ti, and ESP zones.

I got a new ledgestone Big Z zone, it is a hog (in a good way). Its more stable than my Ti, and ESP zones.

Just curious what color? Or even better, a picture. I am partial to the purples and oranges. And I especially like that they are all pastel colors.

The only Zone I've ever had is Glow ESP. Curious how it stacks up against the others? I know generally glow plastic is more OS than other plastics. I don't have much experience with Discraft Glow plastics though.

The only Zone I've ever had is Glow ESP. Curious how it stacks up against the others? I know generally glow plastic is more OS than other plastics. I don't have much experience with Discraft Glow plastics though.

I've never met a "bad Zone," and the Zones I've thrown are more similar than different. 2015 Ledgestone Ti, ESP, ESP Glo, and Z. To be fair, I haven't thrown the ESP Glo as much as the others. They're all pretty much flat, and I haven't thrown any of the well-reputed "puddle-top" Zones. I've met at least one person who talked about having thrown a Zone that wasn't overstable enough, but his entire bag was Trilogy and I think he was happy to have an excuse to throw a Harp instead.

I'm always tempted to buy more Zones, but my original Zone (Ledgestone 2015 Ti) seems like it might last forever. Lately, I've been tempted to try the Big Z, Cryztal, and new Ti releases. I have a feeling they'll all fly great, but I just don't have enough time to throw all of them...

Just curious what color? Or even better, a picture. I am partial to the purples and oranges. And I especially like that they are all pastel colors.

It is a max weight pink big Z. Never thrown a glo zone however. The next beefiest zone I have thrown was a Z-FLX.

If you had to replace it, is there any particular plastic that seems closest? The grip is great, and it's beefy but very serviceable.

Well, I got 2 of the Ledgestone Zones back in 2015. Unfortunately, I just threw one of them in the lake a few weeks back so the backup is now active duty.:doh:
In fear of losing the second, I picked up a new Ti & a Pro-D. They all fly (more or less) identically, it will just be a matter of how quickly they beat in.

The new Ti felt way different than the 2015 Ti at first, but in the hand, throwing them, they are basically identical.

The zone may be one of the more consistent molds on the market today...

The zone may be one of the more consistent molds on the market today...

If you're saying that you haven't found plastic blends to affect the Zone's stability, I agree. I do see a lot more variation in the way the Zone molds up (puddle, dome, or flat topped) then I do the Buzzz, though. But I guess even the Zone's variations fly pretty comparably. Slow and dumpy discs hide inconsistency well.

GoldenTuna, you indicated that the new Ti feels different.
Can you elaborate on that a bit?

Is it the dome or the feeling of the plastic, or...?

Debating adding a new Ti to my bag, just wanting get a better understanding.

^I got one of the new Ti and have several of the 2015 Ledgestones. New run isn't quite as stiff as the 2015 and a little grippier. Both are board flat. Haven't thrown the new one outside of an initial field test.

Been bagging one of the new ESP which is slightly puddle top. Loving it but it is beating a bit straighter, the Ledgestones flight pattern never seems to change.

I have had a 2015 Ledgestone Cryztal FLX in my bag since they were released, and it's still every bit as OS as it was brand new. Board flat, grippy, and so gummy. She sits where she lands, no roll-aways here.

I do want to get a stiffer ESP or Ti in the bag so I can play some zone skips, though.

Thanks Discerdoo & Jkosk.

If the current Ti run is slightly less stiff and slightly more grippy than the 2015 Ledgestone Ti, that may be perfect for me.

I have tried many Zones but currently bag a very old puddle top ESP, that is beat and ugly but still very OS.

A 2015 Ledgestone TI Flx, which is beat to just barely OS, which I love.

A 2015 Ledgestone Cryztal flx which is beat to straight, slightly US. I struggle a bit with grip on this one, especially in the rain.

I also have an X soft I'm hoping will make my winter bag.

I got rid of 20 or so zones as a way to pay for some other plastic I wanted to try.

Yes, I just decided to clean house.

I had more zones than anything else, too many for me actually.

It was not a lot compared to some collections I guess.

I got rid of
4or5 2015 ti flx ledgestone
1or2 2105 cryz flx ledgestone
A couple of 2017 glo flx ledgestone
Couple of x soft
A few esp flatties
A handful of pro-d

I traded or sold them off for other plastic.

I kept just a few that were quite rough or that I really clicked with.

I have not tried a jawbreaker or a regular ti. I think I want to add a regular tI to the bag and pull the crystal flx since I struggle a bit on grip and sometimes lose a key shot because of a slip.

I used to use a Zone MANY years ago --- I moved away when I found the Harp and kinda went with that for some time --- outta the blue I decided to pick up a new Zone. Its super sweet and I was missing that Zip and Skip and really low glide. Diggin' it again :) --- I still bag a baseline harp - very different flights - Harp sticks, Zone skips. perfect OS shortranges

The only zones I like are the baselines. ProD and jawbreaker. I have probably 10 of esp. z glo, and ti but I will never throw them..