• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Official Discraft ZONE Thread

What do you guys thing beat in better? Soft X or Jawbreaker?

I have a few Pro-Ds that are really beat in and they have a very unique flight. The have a ton of HST but still dump out at the end. If you throw them hard they will hold the turn to the ground but anything outside that is gunna finish like a normal zone would. I've abandoned cycling them and will just carry them like Firebirds.

Do light (<160) Zones exist? My elbow would appreciate it, and Harps aren't available under 165.

What do you guys thing beat in better? Soft X or Jawbreaker?

I have a few Pro-Ds that are really beat in and they have a very unique flight. The have a ton of HST but still dump out at the end. If you throw them hard they will hold the turn to the ground but anything outside that is gunna finish like a normal zone would. I've abandoned cycling them and will just carry them like Firebirds.

My new JB Zones är puddletop and very OS . .. all my Pro-D have hade a smal dome and by FAR the least OS of all my Zone´s

I bag Pro-D and CryZtal

But ESp an Ti is fun to cycle

My new JB Zones är puddletop and very OS . .. all my Pro-D have hade a smal dome and by FAR the least OS of all my Zone´s

I bag Pro-D and CryZtal

But ESp an Ti is fun to cycle

The JB zones may start OS, but they don't stay OS. They beat up pretty fast into something nice and straight with a small finish. Took about a month or 15 rounds to beat in to that.

I would order them:

Cryztal Z > Cryztal Z flx > Z = ZFLX > Big Z = TI > ESP = ESP GLO = ESP FLX > Soft X = JB > Pro-D

I agree with that order, spot on.

But i feel the Pro-D has better glide and distance than the JB . .but the Pro-D is the "odd" Zone, do not really fly like a Zone

Do light (<160) Zones exist? My elbow would appreciate it, and Harps aren't available under 165.

There are a few. Discgolfcenter has them in ProD and Jawbreaker and there are a few others like ESP that are close (166g). There might be some in other plastics. I didn't check them all.

-Dave

I've taken my Ti Zone out of my bag in favor of a JB Zone. Jawbreaker just has a perfect grip in cold and wet conditions. Pretty sure I've got another JB Zone coming my way for Christmas, so by the time my current Jawbreaker is too straight I can pair it with a fresh one. That should get me through the coldest and snowiest winter months, and when the weather starts improving it'll be back to the beafcake Titanium Zone for true OS duties.

Cryztal Z > Cryztal Z flx > Z = ZFLX > Big Z = TI > ESP = ESP GLO = ESP FLX > Soft X = JB > Pro-D

Not thrown Ti or Big Z but I found Cryztal and Z to be ridiculously lacking in any glide.

I found ESP to be a glorious combination throwability (glide), reliable overstability, durability, consistency and grip.

Fell in love with my old style ESP and the new swirly with flight numbers hasn't disappointed.

Not thrown Ti or Big Z but I found Cryztal and Z to be ridiculously lacking in any glide.

I found ESP to be a glorious combination throwability (glide), reliable overstability, durability, consistency and grip.

Fell in love with my old style ESP and the new swirly with flight numbers hasn't disappointed.

The ESP and Color Glo ESP are both fantastic and season very well. The Z is noticeably more overstable, but I still find it to be relatively throwable. The Cryztal, as I said earlier, is a glorified brick.

The Big Z is one of my favorites by far. They fly just in between a Z and an ESP but they hold that stability for a very very long time. They are as overstable as I need a Zone to be outside of 25 mph wind type weather.

Right now I'm rocking a Big Z, Soft X (winter), and a JB that is pretty much straight.

I normally bag a well worn ESP zone, but I've been experimenting with a couple pro-d ones based on some of the comments here. They are flat to puddle top, but seem to have similar glide to my beat up ESP. I love throwing them but I am really looking forward to seeing if I can get one beat up enough to pull the voodoo out of my bag.

Speaking of my ESP, it's developed this weird kind of thumbtracky dome to it. It's lost none of the HSS, but glides pretty well and has a later fade than I remember when it was fresh. In addition to OS approaches, it also fills the role of OS midrange if I need something beefier than the verdict. I tried it against the justice and mortar but in the end saw no reason to bag either alongside the zone.

I normally bag a well worn ESP zone, but I've been experimenting with a couple pro-d ones based on some of the comments here. They are flat to puddle top, but seem to have similar glide to my beat up ESP. I love throwing them but I am really looking forward to seeing if I can get one beat up enough to pull the voodoo out of my bag.

Speaking of my ESP, it's developed this weird kind of thumbtracky dome to it. It's lost none of the HSS, but glides pretty well and has a later fade than I remember when it was fresh. In addition to OS approaches, it also fills the role of OS midrange if I need something beefier than the verdict. I tried it against the justice and mortar but in the end saw no reason to bag either alongside the zone.

Just a heads up, I have a some very seasoned D zones. They develop a fair bit of HST, but always retain a decent amount of LSF. It creates a very interesting S flight that is pretty finicky. Throw it too hard and it will hold it to the ground, throw it too soft and it will fight out and dump hard. I ended up taking them out of the bag as they were too unpredictable.

Like you, I now bag 3-4 Zones and do not bag any other mid ranges. I throw them BH and FH so I can cover almost all shots needed.

Just a heads up, I have a some very seasoned D zones. They develop a fair bit of HST, but always retain a decent amount of LSF. It creates a very interesting S flight that is pretty finicky. Throw it too hard and it will hold it to the ground, throw it too soft and it will fight out and dump hard. I ended up taking them out of the bag as they were too unpredictable.

Like you, I now bag 3-4 Zones and do not bag any other mid ranges. I throw them BH and FH so I can cover almost all shots needed.

Have you found that beat-in pattern unique to D Zones, or have JBs seasoned similarly for you?

Have you found that beat-in pattern unique to D Zones, or have JBs seasoned similarly for you?

I have not personally beaten up the JB or softX to that point yet. I was very close with my last JB, but unfortunately lost it. I will say, I have a friend who has a very beaten in JB zone and while I have not thrown it, when he does, it shows the same flight characteristics.

I think it is something you would get with any zone assuming it was beaten in enough.

I've taken my Ti Zone out of my bag in favor of a JB Zone. Jawbreaker just has a perfect grip in cold and wet conditions. Pretty sure I've got another JB Zone coming my way for Christmas, so by the time my current Jawbreaker is too straight I can pair it with a fresh one. That should get me through the coldest and snowiest winter months, and when the weather starts improving it'll be back to the beafcake Titanium Zone for true OS duties.

Update: I'm in love with my Jawbreaker Zone. I've been working on my approach game a ton lately, and the JBZ is just perfect-- perfect grip in the snow and cold, perfect stability for those shorter shots that my Ti Zone felt just a tad too fast for, perfect combo of HSS and LSS to work beautiful little flick anny flexes...

I'm sold. I don't even care if JB loses stability in a few months. I'd be happy to buy 4 or 5 of these every year if that's what it takes to always have JBZ goodness. Favorite disc in the bag. <3<3<3

So I lost my D zone recently. All in all it was a pretty straight disc, would get a little drifty but would come back to center on a drive...Now I'm looking into replacing it with one of the base plastic varieties. Leading into winter I'm thinking soft x might be a logical replacement, but I'm wondering if it will take a longer time to season than JB or D? I have no experience with JB or soft x fwiw.

So I lost my D zone recently. All in all it was a pretty straight disc, would get a little drifty but would come back to center on a drive...Now I'm looking into replacing it with one of the base plastic varieties. Leading into winter I'm thinking soft x might be a logical replacement, but I'm wondering if it will take a longer time to season than JB or D? I have no experience with JB or soft x fwiw.

JB might hold up a tiny bit longer than soft X but not much. Pro D probably a little less but all 3 will wear in pretty quick.

Sounds like a good opportunity to get to know Jawbreaker plastic...