• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Official PDGA St. Jude Disc Golf Charity Invitational Thread

Dana

Double Eagle Member
Hello DGCR Friends,

Lots of information will be coming out soon, including a FAQ. In this thread, I will try to help answer your questions to the best of my ability, along with Mark Wilson. Both of us are on the event committee, along with Paul McBeth, Catrina Allen, John Heaton, John Brooks. This event is a collaboration between the PDGA and St. Jude.

Please like and follow:
Facebook Page: St. Jude Disc Golf Charity Invitational
Twitter- @stjudediscgolf

Most recent post from the Facebook Page:
The highly sought after invitations, for the St. Jude Disc Golf Charity Invitational, are going out early this week. Women with a PDGA rating of 900+ and men with a rating of 1000+ will be receiving these exclusive invites.

Those that are invited will have one week to reserve their spot to compete in this epic disc golf event. After that, the registration will be open to all current PDGA members, both pro and am.

Our goal is to raise funds for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and shine a bright light on professional disc golf. If you would like to participate or know anyone who would, please pass this notification on to them. We have an amazing opportunity and we want the entire disc golf community to become involved.

Even if you can't make it to California, there will be an opportunity to show your passion for disc golf and support the cause in raising funds for St Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Stay tuned to this site to keep up to date on all the latest information for this inaugural event.

PhilanTHROWpy is our way of paying it forward and showcasing the passion of the disc golf community. Together, we can do great things! Be on the look out for your invite, stay tuned, and spread the word.

Event Description:
Mark your calendar now for one of the most important and prestigious events in disc golf history: the St. Jude Disc Golf Charity Invitational. This inaugural event brings together a unique partnership between St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and the Professional Disc Golf Association (PDGA). The top players from around the world are being invited to perform on the renowned Bayonet Golf Course overlooking Monterey Bay. We want YOU there. By participating in this philanTHROWpic event you can showcase your passion for disc golf and help St. Jude fight childhood cancer. Be a part of this amazing cause. Exciting things are already starting to happen! For sponsorship opportunities visit www.stjude.org/discgolfinvitational.

The event is taking place Memorial Day weekend.

Link to story from PDGA: http://www.pdga.com/paying-it-forward

Don't worry, even if you cannot attend the event, you can still get in on the fundraising action. Details will be posted here as they become available on how to participate. All disc golfers, regardless of whether or not you are a PDGA member, are welcome to join in. You will need to be a PDGA member in order to participate in the actual tournament, as it is an A-tier.

Nice job!! This is the kind of stuff pro DG needs to be involved with and can benefit from while doing good for other causes.

:clap: keep up the good work.

Hello DGCR Friends,

Lots of information will be coming out soon, including a FAQ. In this thread, I will try to help answer your questions to the best of my ability, along with Mark Wilson. Both of us are on the event committee, along with Paul McBeth, Catrina Allen, John Heaton, John Brooks. This event is a collaboration between the PDGA and St. Jude.

Please like and follow:
Facebook Page: St. Jude Disc Golf Charity Invitational
Twitter- @stjudediscgolf

Most recent post from the Facebook Page:

Event Description:

The event is taking place Memorial Day weekend.

Link to story from PDGA: http://www.pdga.com/paying-it-forward

Don't worry, even if you cannot attend the event, you can still get in on the fundraising action. Details will be posted here as they become available on how to participate. All disc golfers, regardless of whether or not you are a PDGA member, are welcome to join in. You will need to be a PDGA member in order to participate in the actual tournament, as it is an A-tier.

Always love doing volunteer/charity work. I think that this is sooooooooooooo awesome and an opportunity to give back to the community.

These events make you think hard and long about how easy your life might be compared to those who are fighting for theirs. It puts it into perspective and never can I watch a St Jude's spot without tearing up.

FAQ from www.stjudediscgolf.com

1. How can I get involved?

There are 4 primary ways to make a difference through this epic disc golf event.

Fundraise

Register to fundraise for the event. A personal fundraising page will be created and you can get started. You do not need to play in the event to help. You can fundraise as an individual or create a fundraising team with friends, family, or co-workers.

Fundraise/Compete

After the invite process is complete, any current PDGA member can register to compete in the event. If registration is open, click here and sign up. Limited spots are available. A personal fundraising page will be created and you can get started and manage your own campaign.

Be a Supporting Sponsor

Support individuals or teams who are fundraising. Go to our participant page and search for the participant(s) or team you would like to sponsor. You can sponsor as many as you wish. All donations are tax deductible.

Make a donation directly to St Jude

Click here to make a donation. All donations are tax deductible

2. Where can I find information about becoming a corporate sponsor?

Click here to learn more about how to become a corporate level sponsor. You can also contact [email protected] or call 415.590.5350

3. How does my contribution make a difference?

Your contribution will help the kids of St.Jude Children's Research Hospital. St. Jude is leading the way the world understands, treats and defeats childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases.

St. Jude has helped push cure rates for childhood cancer from less than 20 percent to more than 80 percent overall.

St. Jude freely shares the breakthroughs it makes, and every child saved at St. Jude means doctors and scientists worldwide can use that knowledge to save thousands more children.

Families never receive a bill from St. Jude. We pay for treatment, travel, housing and food—because all a family should worry about is helping their child live.

Unlike any other hospital, the majority of funding for St. Jude comes from individual contributions. Thanks to generous donors and fundraisers like you.

4. How does the invite process work?

Invites have been sent to all female PDGA members with a current player rating of 900 and above, and all male players with a rating of 1000 and above. They have one week to respond and secure their spot. After that, the registration will be open to all current PDGA members (Pro and Am). We encourage you to check this site often for new information and/or be sure to "Like" the St. Jude Disc Golf Charity Invitational Facebook page for updates on registration.

5. What divisions will be offered?

MPO – Open, MPM – Master (age 40+), MPG – Grandmaster (age 50+), MPS – Senior Grandmaster (age 60+), MPL – Legend (age 70+), MPE – Senior Legend (age 75+), MPR – Grand Legend (age 80+), FPO – Open Women, FPM – Master Women (age 40+), FPG – Grandmaster Women (age 50+), FPS – Senior Grandmaster Women (age 60+), FPL – Legend Women (age 70+)

MA1 – Advanced, MM1 – Advanced Master (age 40+), MG1 – Advanced Grandmaster (age 50+), MS1 – Advanced Senior Grandmaster (age 60+), ML1 – Advanced Legend (age 70+), FA1 – Advanced Women, FM1 – Advanced Master Women (age 40+), FG1 – Advanced Grandmaster Women (age 50+), FS1 – Advanced Senior Grandmaster Women (age 60+), FL1 – Advanced Legend Women (age 70+)

All other AM division players can enter, as long as they are current PDGA members and understand that they will be competing in the Advanced Division.

6. What is the fee to participate as a fundraiser?

There is no fee if you simply want to participate as a fundraiser.

7. Am I required to fundraise in order to play in the tournament?

Fundraising is not a requirement to play in the tournament; however, as this is a charity event, we highly encourage you to participate in any way you can and at the same time win cool prizes for your fundraising efforts. No amount is ever too small. There are many ways that you can make a difference to help raise funds and awareness for the kids of St. Jude. This is disc golf's opportunity to do something great and give back. We want you to be a part of it. If you are not interested in participating as a fundraiser please be sure to spread the word about this event and join us on Facebook.

8. Do I have to be a PDGA member to participate?

You do not have to be a PDGA member to be a fundraising participant but you must be a current PDGA member to compete in the event.

9. What is the format for the tournament? (Participants only)

The tournament will be played at Bayonet Golf Course, a traditional ball golf course, in Seaside, California. Two separate disc golf courses will be utilized. One day will be available for you to practice the course you'll be playing on. Courses will be assigned based on player division. Tee times will be used. One round will be played each day (Saturday & Sunday). Each course will be par 62 or greater.

10. What's the pro payout going to be like?

The Pros will be paid out in normal fashion to any pro tournament. Efforts to bring in additional cash are underway. The Ams will receive a great player pack and will be awarded trophies for the top three in each age protected division.

11. Can I help as a volunteer at the event or be a spotter?

Click here to sign up now as an event Volunteer. Assignments will be made by the Volunteer Coordinators in the upcoming months.

12. What are the dress code and etiquette requirements?

Standard PDGA dress code guidelines will be used for attire and player code of conduct. We ask all players to go above and beyond for this special event. Cameras will be rolling.

13. What is in the players pack?

For starters, you'll be playing on the most epic disc golf course you've ever seen. We anticipate a player pack for the amateur division to be well worth the price of entry. More information will be available at a later date.

14. Lodging and discounts?

Visit the Travel Info section of this site for Host Hotel information or do an online search for lodging alternatives. Due to the Memorial Day weekend we advise you to reserve your rooms as soon as possible.

15. If I'm flying in, what are the closest airports?

Monterey Regional Airport (6 miles)

San Jose International (71 miles)

San Francisco International (104 miles)

Oakland International (103 miles)

16. Will I be able to play the courses if I'm not participating in the tournament?

Due to the limited amount of time we have available this year, there will be no opportunity to play either of the courses unless you are taking part in the event.

A lot of the pros are starting to raise funds on Facebook. Paul McBeth is matching all donations up to $10,000 and if he raises $30,000 he will pitch in $15,000. Here is the link to donate and the note he left on Facebook.

Events.StJude.org/McBeast

"St.Jude has opened registration for their Disc Golf Charity event on May 22-24. The Event goal is to raise $300,000 for research of childhood cancer and other life threatening diseases. I know our Disc Golf community can raise FAR more than that! I'm willing to send out discs to anybody who donates $100 or more (1 disc for every $100) the first 50 will receive a disc I had NO intention on ever letting out, which is my 2014 3x World Championship stamp. (As shown below) Every $100 donation after the first 50 will receive a signed signature disc. In addition to the donations I'm willing to match all donations up to $10,000 if we can hit $30,000 I'll make my donation $15,000 for Team McBeast. Events.StJude.org/McBeast
I as well as a few other were able to tour the St.Jude children research center in Memphis,TN to learn more about St.Jude research and how they came to be. To say I'm 100% behind what they do would be an understament. If you have any questions about St.Jude or the event feel free to message me. Here is a link to the video that the PDGA and some of the top touring players were able to be apart of while visiting St.Jude children research hospital."

A lot of the pros are starting to raise funds on Facebook. Paul McBeth is matching all donations up to $10,000 and if he raises $30,000 he will pitch in $15,000. Here is the link to donate and the note he left on Facebook.

Events.StJude.org/McBeast

"St.Jude has opened registration for their Disc Golf Charity event on May 22-24. The Event goal is to raise $300,000 for research of childhood cancer and other life threatening diseases. I know our Disc Golf community can raise FAR more than that! I'm willing to send out discs to anybody who donates $100 or more (1 disc for every $100) the first 50 will receive a disc I had NO intention on ever letting out, which is my 2014 3x World Championship stamp. (As shown below) Every $100 donation after the first 50 will receive a signed signature disc. In addition to the donations I'm willing to match all donations up to $10,000 if we can hit $30,000 I'll make my donation $15,000 for Team McBeast. Events.StJude.org/McBeast
I as well as a few other were able to tour the St.Jude children research center in Memphis,TN to learn more about St.Jude research and how they came to be. To say I'm 100% behind what they do would be an understament. If you have any questions about St.Jude or the event feel free to message me. Here is a link to the video that the PDGA and some of the top touring players were able to be apart of while visiting St.Jude children research hospital."

1. That is awesome he's donating that much money :clap:

2. Him donating that much money realllllly makes me curious about all of his sponsorship deals :D

I'm assuming Innova is kicking in some of that.

If not, then he is an amazing person. (Hopefully can write some of it off on taxes)

I think this a is bigger than sports event that everyone should be involved in. I hope to donate to a player or two in my next paycheck and possibly from our disc golf club. I doubt I will try to play given that it will fill fast, the cost to play and its on memorial day weekend. But I think this will be a one of a kind event, cant wait to see the footage and maybe some network tv coverage.

McBeast mode fundraising style has been initiated.

Don't hesitate to join in on the fun! Start a team up for your local league, group, club, etc...

PM me with questions, I'm here to help.

Latest posts