• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Official PDGA St. Jude Disc Golf Charity Invitational Thread

Dave Feldberg - $75
http://fundraising.stjude.org/site/T...al&fr_id=38191
Ricky Wysocki - $110
Nikko Locastro - $100
Avery Jenkins - $10
Valerie Doss - $155
Nate Doss - $170

Great job by these guys! $620 total between 6 of the games elite!

And we wonder why we don't grow.

I am sure that these were just donaitions people did in their name?

See this thread for how much Daves sponsors gave on his/their behalf:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2776910#post2776910

From the thread above...

Charity
The event was a huge success for disc golf. Our community raised over $214,000 dollars for St.Jude charities. We at Latitude 64 donated over $8,000 and i also donated $2,000 dollars in the name of Keen Disc Golf. This is just a start and could be a stepping stone towards mainstreaming our sport

Can we please not be "those guys" that pick apart what pro donated what and just be happy that as a community we raised damn near a quarter of a million dollars in just a few short months? Basking in the glow of this warm and fuzzy feeling has me never-prouder to be a part of this community...don't take that away from me yet!

The philosophy of Danny Thomas (founder) as told to me was 'a dollar from a million, instead of a million from one'

Decent, yet lazy, attempt at trolling.
No, I was just genuinely curious since you made a decent, yet lazy, attempt to portray the elite of a sport where people really don't make any money as being stingy when it comes to charity. I mean if this was A-Rod, Lebron or Tom Brady we were talking about, you might have a point.

But to answer your question, around $100.
Awesome. :clap:

And just to put my money where my keyboard mouth is, I'm donating 33 1/3 cents to St. Jude's for every player who entered the event. 188 players = $62.60.

2zybchs.jpg

No, I was just genuinely curious since you made a decent, yet lazy, attempt to portray the elite of a sport where people really don't make any money as being stingy when it comes to charity. I mean if this was A-Rod, Lebron or Tom Brady we were talking about, you might have a point.

No.

That is NOT the point.

The point was they didn't try to ask for funds. I don't care / expect everyone to donate. Especially touring pros who don't make a lot of money.

But when some have the social media presence they do - Avery - and don't even ask for donations, that is where I have an issue.

Paul raised over 10 Grand without his donation. Dana about 5 grand. Many others were around the $500 - $1000 mark without personally donating.

well, its none of your business to take issue with or not. Maybe Avery hates children or doesn't wan't to support St. Jude, so be it-- This is America last time I checked.

The event was a small success for the first time it being done.

Will be interesting to see what comes of it all next year.

Last edited:
No.

That is NOT the point.

The point was they didn't try to ask for funds. I don't care / expect everyone to donate. Especially touring pros who don't make a lot of money.

But when some have the social media presence they do - Avery - and don't even ask for donations, that is where I have an issue.

Paul raised over 10 Grand without his donation. Dana about 5 grand. Many others were around the $500 - $1000 mark without personally donating.

Ugh - I hate this mentality. Keep in mind personally I think this is a great cause and I love to see what those who have contributed have done.....BUT.... I can't stand how people transpose their values onto others and then condemn them from not doing what they perceive should have been done. It isn't charity if you feel that you are forced to, even if it is just by social pressure.

Congratulate those who have done great things. Do not shame those who have chosen not to do what you thought they should.

Ugh - I hate this mentality. Keep in mind personally I think this is a great cause and I love to see what those who have contributed have done.....BUT.... I can't stand how people transpose their values onto others and then condemn them from not doing what they perceive should have been done. It isn't charity if you feel that you are forced to, even if it is just by social pressure.

Congratulate those who have done great things. Do not shame those who have chosen not to do what you thought they should.

You obviously didn't see what Avery posted on facebook afterward.

I'll post:

"Another incredible weekend of Disc Golf in Monterey as it's really changed my perspective on the sport and the legacy that we'll leave behind! Our recent cooperation with St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is easily the biggest thing that we've done within Disc Golf and I can see many exciting things transpiring in years to come. Being a new father these days I can't imagine the struggle that these families and children go through, I'm just glad that the Disc Golf Community could come together this weekend to help brighten their lives. I hope to contribute more of time and fundraising to this event next year as I feel that I can always give back more! Big Thanks to St. Jude (@stjude) and all of the Disc Golfers that came out to support this event raising over $214,000 for their efforts, truly amazing! ‪#‎DiscGolf‬ ‪#‎StJude‬ ‪#‎Charity‬ ‪#‎Monterey‬ ‪#‎California"

$10.

No.

That is NOT the point.

Sometimes people who are short on money are also short on time to raise money for others. Others simply hate begging people for charity.

You obviously didn't see what Avery posted on facebook afterward.

I'll post:

". Being a new father these days --. I hope to contribute more of time and fundraising to this event next year as I feel that I can always give back more!

Do you have kids? or any common sense? People like Paul Mcbeth are in a very unique situation in our sport to be able to do what he did. No one else should be compared the same way. Specially those with families to support.

There will be changes to this event next year due to the pathetic efforts of few.

And you know this how, exactly?

Feldberg posted in his blog right here on DGCR that he helped Latitude 64 raise over $8000 and also donated $2000 on behalf of Keen. So perhaps he chose to have his fundraising efforts simply blend in with his employer/sponsor(s) rather than take individual credit.

For all we know, that's what all the individuals you saw fit to call out did.

And you know this how, exactly?

Feldberg posted in his blog right here on DGCR that he helped Latitude 64 raise over $8000 and also donated $2000 on behalf of Keen. So perhaps he chose to have his fundraising efforts simply blend in with his employer/sponsor(s) rather than take individual credit.

For all we know, that's what all the individuals you saw fit to call out did.

He didn't help Lat raise any money. They donated to the event. I know there were Lat discs in every player pack and I don't know specifics on what else. Judging by that quote of $8000+, it sounds like money was also donated.

Here is the Keen info:
Since 2009, Keen Footwear has been supporting five of Disc Golf's most prominent names through their Ambassador program; including 3x World Champion, Valarie Jenkins; 12x World Champion, "The Champ" Ken Climo; 2009 World Champion, Avery Jenkins; 2008 World Champion, Dave Feldberg, and myself, Nate Doss, 3x World Champion. These ambassadors have taken advantage of the World's stage to grow the sport in their own ways. With this in mind, Keen Footwear has given them each an opportunity to also give back in a monetary way. Over the past five years, Keen Footwear has made 50 discs for each Disc Golf Ambassador to sell as a fundraising effort for a chosen charity.

So it sounds like money from Dave's discs will go (or went) to St. Jude this year.

Any pro that entered the event should've put in some sort of effort. How much is debatable, but a few social media posts to try to rally some support I would say is the least they should've done. Their respective sponsors should've backed them and helped with the process (donated discs etc.). If a pro didn't want to participate that is fine. They just shouldn't enter the event either then. The true ambassadors have the voice and leadership to accomplish great things and hopefully this keeps growing because not only is it a good cause, but that means disc golf is growing. Not everyone has the same influence or power. I understand that, but no effort and playing in the tournament is kind of a slap in the face imo. All that said I'd say it was a huge success with room to grow!

Please don't feed the troll. Fine example of how not to behave though cj. I'm sure it is quite common for people to leave the Disc Golf community because people like you call them out for not doing X .

Obviously the edge of the disc was in a spot that grass would be if there was grass there.

I'll bite.
I don't get how Will's disc was considered inbound in the last hole of the final round. The disc is clearly in the sand trap... Sure, using a microscope and extrapolate some more on where the grass's roots should possible be, one might give the benefit of the doubt to the player, like Nate said, but I still think declaring that disc in bound didn't feel right.
Regular ob line along paths and other relatively flat surface allow for easier decisions. However, in the case of a sand trap with a "high lip", it seems like if the disc is not resting in the least on the lip, I'd declare it OB.

However, in the case of a sand trap with a "high lip", it seems like if the disc is not resting in the least on the lip, I'd declare it OB.
Any difference between that lie and one on a high curb? Didn't we have that discussion last spring? Somebody prerube me.