• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Offseason work - preparing for 2013

Discwrangler

Birdie Member
Most of us choose disc golf because it's fairly easy, no running, no catching....it's a fairly lazy sport. Well couch potatoes, typing on a keyboard will only get you so far. Time to put in work.

What are you doing to get better at disc golf?

Post your workouts, books, rituals etc here. I want to hear it and encourage those who desire to get better to become better.

Last night:

5 rounds
135lb deadlift x5
50 yard sprint

Until daylight savings time begins in March, any sort of after work disc golf is out of the question. So on weekends when the temperature is somewhat tolerable (which will be rare for the next three months), I'll do some putting practice in the back yard.

For me, the winter is more about mental rest. It's nice to take a bit of a break and take some time to look ahead to next year. I'm already starting to think about planning my tourney schedule, making some changes to the lineup in my bag, etc.

For actual workouts, I'm doing a lot of running, but for non-disc golf reasons. Specifically for disc golf, I'm going to start doing some general ab work to strengthen my core.

Speaking of Mental, pushing those limits is a fantastic way to become more confident on the course.

In terms of core, TRX and Kettlebells are fairly simple ways to get stronger.

No off-season here.

At any rate, I'm not doing anything to try to get better. But I'm working hard to slow my decline.

Doing an overall weight loss and muscle building routine from Bodybuilding.com at the moment.
Off days, I do Plyometrics to help my explosiveness. In 4 weeks, I will be starting a HIT program to shred fat and increase endurance.

YOGA X2/WEEK
Weightlifting x3/week
DGing once every other week
Chasing my 2 year old around the house - EVERYDAY!

I might take up the towel drill again on a slowed down basis in order to try to work on body positioning

I will keep up putting practice...unfortunately that will be in the basement so no wind to deal with but I can do 10 - 34ish feet
WRT putting I think I will stick to scoobies, I'm more accurate

exercise, hmmm, maybe
we have a baby due in 3 days
but I should do squats and then use my pull up/dip rack for my arms and back

I put my basket in my basement last weekend and would like to get some nightly putting practice in with my 3 month old disc-dog-in-training. I'm switching from a Swan to a Zone/Summit combo over the winter (unless they come out with a Z Ringer). So, I have a lot of work to do.

30 minute work-outs before work and during lunch 4x a week. Work out before work on Fridays and drink at lunch. :p

I usually do 15-20 minutes of cardio in the morning (mix b/w running, biking, stair-climbing) and do 10 minutes of mixed ab work-outs. I try to vary the exercises so the body doesn't get too used to one thing.

At lunch I do a 10 minute cardio warm up (run a mile or do a 3-mile bike ride) and then lift weights. Usually do one a day: chest, back, arms/shldrs, legs.

I'm going to start doing some yoga at least once a week to improve my flexibility ... and because my girlfriend keeps hassling me to go with her. :)

A few times a week when I get home after work I'll do wrist curls and reverse (forearm) curls to improve there (and rehab a wrist injury from last year).

Since the daylight has vanished, I've been trying to get out once or twice a week to throw putts and approach shots inside 150' for an hour. all putters, just set up the basket and go.

I'm also trying to squeeze in an hour of field time on the weekends, but it's hard to not get sucked in to rec rounds or fun little tournaments. for the field work I try to find a wooded park so it's not all wide open shots and just try to hit lines at 80-100% power.

I might add in some balance and agility drills, but don't do weights anymore. this thread has me thinking about setting up a bodyweight work out regiment. Something that won't leave me sore and affect my golf game, but still maintain a level of fitness

I'm looking to get in real good shape this winter. I got a pullup bar and have been using the sh!t out of that, I've been doing pushups to balance the back out, plus I've been playing a ton of Just Dance (call me a dork but it gets me sweating and it isn't a treadmill). I play all winter and at night, so I don't plan on stopping my 3 - 5 rounds a week, but I have been and will continue to be focusing on my midrange and putting game until the snow melts.

There's never an offseason. Always doing something. Sadly, at the moment, no throwing of discs or even putting. That won't happen until spring.

Mon - basketball at lunch, bowling after work
Tues - evening basketball league or Crossfit on a bye week
Wed - basketball at lunch, yoga after work
Thurs - Crossfit workout then raquetball
Fri - Yoga
Sat - basketball

All this and I'm still fat.

I try to get sick as much as possible, coughing is the best work out. Goes well with the not eating much solid food.

Now that my non-throwing hand's thumb has been cleared for activity, I'll be back playing soccer and broomball to hopefully help shed some very unwanted pounds. I am also cutting fast food and am going to make a serious go at walking away from those delicious Monster Zero Ultras.

As for disc golf, I have really been hitting my (home course now) local pitch and putt (everything <300') with a bag of putters determined to learn a decent backhand for the last couple months. It's been going really well, and I've been pleased with the results so far but know I have a long way to go still. My putting has improved monumentally around/outside the circle since I have been left with a lot of 25'+ lies. The plan is to be able to start attacking longer courses with drivers after it warms back up.

Mostly I sit around drinking beer and plotting vengeance. :|

Actually, there is no off-season in dg. I rock that shizz year 'round, yo. Snow n all. :thmbup:

I'm on the "there is no off-season" train. The snow, cold and extra clothes are the workout. I find that exercising interferes with my alcohol intake. Seriously though, winter is some of the best golfing.

Latest posts