• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OK, so how do you really get better with putting?

Mr. America

* Ace Member *
Don't say simply practice, because I practice quite a bit. I am thinking I'm not practicing in the right ways. I have really been trying the Feldberg-like push putting. I can hit plenty of putts in the back yard at 30-35 feet doing this. But I get on a course and throw up putts that look like I've never played before.

I do struggle with consistency even in the back yard sometimes.

Why don't you try a different putting style? I find sometimes people try too hard to like something, whether it be a discs, style, stance etc. Who knows, maybe the Nikko 'swing putt' style would be good for you, or maybe more of a Matt Orum spin putt? Try something completely different for a while. Some of my biggest form discoveries were from trying something I'd never considered doing before.

BTW: What putter/grip do you use?

I actually like the push putting, at least in the back yard. For a grip, I use something like what Feldberg shows in his putting clinic videos, whatever you want to call that.

When you miss are you missing consistently (one side, high/low?) or is it all over the place?

When you miss are you missing consistently (one side, high/low?) or is it all over the place?

This is something I haven't thought of too much. When I make a competent looking putt misses are typically a little low. However, it's the putts that get a little wilder, usually lofted way high and fading off hard, that drive me crazy. That's what I typically do on the course when I make a bad putt. It's almost embarrassing, because nobody else I play with putts this way, so some people tend to think I'm trying to use a bad style.

I guess I cave under the pressure on the course or something lol

If your balance, grip, and understanding of how you shift your weight at different distances is good....then it should simply be just learning the apexs.

I use a push elevator style.
I found learning cam todd's shoulder style taught me more about how to transfer and how lil is really needed. For further distances, I use more arm and wrist as well as draw from my hip.

I feel like I already do that for all my putting. Feldberg says to use more pressure from the pinky to hold the disc in the palm. So I put almost all the pressure there, only trying to hold with the index/thumb to keep the disc from slipping or moving around in my hand. I could be wrong and am not doing that as much as I think, I have no idea lol.

people are so different. I'm not saying that 1000 reps will make anyone a good putter. I have friends who do hundreds of putts each week. One is a very good putter and the other guy just can't seem to get it. I never practice other than the few minutes waiting for the tournament round to start. I typically out-putt my friends at most events.

So what is it? I was asked that this weekend when I couldn't miss. My answer was this "today i'm neither nervous or confident, i'm just putting".

if you are hitting good putts at home but they don't translate to the course, then the problem is: between your ears or in your routine. probably a bit of both.

having a practice basket is good. learning how to use it the right way is hard.

it is important to figure out 'your' routine and do it every time. also, don't practice with more than 2 putters. at this point, you have the muscle memory/experience to hit the putt. you have to figure out how to execute it. using a stack of putters can put you into 'rapid-fire' mode which is generally useless.

also, what weight putters do you use?

Don't say simply practice, because I practice quite a bit. I am thinking I'm not practicing in the right ways. I have really been trying the Feldberg-like push putting. I can hit plenty of putts in the back yard at 30-35 feet doing this. But I get on a course and throw up putts that look like I've never played before.

His putts have a lot of wobble to them when using the Feldberg push putt. Maybe you should switch to spin putting :)

also, what weight putters do you use?

My two main KC Pro Putters I am using are 170. Though I had been using two 175 Wizards. I couldn't tell much of a difference when putting.

His putts have a lot of wobble to them when using the Feldberg push putt. Maybe you should switch to spin putting :)

Whatever was causing that is gone for the must part. I don't know where that came from for a week or so.

Practice + a Confident form/Grip

Coming from a guy that has played and taught ball golf for a living, practice and practicing pressure putts is the only way to get better. You need to set yourself up with some tough putts with trouble all around. This well help you become more confident.

I also believe that if you can create a breathing pattern/regimate to calm you down and help you focus, this will help too. I have been in many pressure situations on the ball Golf course where I've had to make a 1 footer, that I make 99 out of 100 times on the practice green, and straight pulled or pushed it. I find that a consistent pre putt routine and learning to breathe easier and slow your heart rate a little will change your confidence and consistency.

Once you make your first HIGH pressure putt in a tough, tournament style situation your confidence will start to fly!!!!!

Oh and pick yourself up a Yeti Pro Aviar!

You're Welcome

Last edited:
wobble comes from: not getting a clean release and/or arm speed exceeding wrist speed. not getting clean release means the disc is not coming out of your hand fast enough. it's not a big difference in speed. just doing it quick and smooth, like throwing a dart. you don't really 'throw' a dart, you hold it and spring your fingers to release it.

weight is good on putters. at that weight they should have some glide. inside the circle they will be close but outside of that the KCs will be much better. in general i think that until you have some consistency with your putting, using max weight overstable putters (kc's, wizards, challenger etc) is a recipe for frustration.

weight is good on putters. at that weight they should have some glide. inside the circle they will be close but outside of that the KCs will be much better. in general i think that until you have some consistency with your putting, using max weight overstable putters (kc's, wizards, challenger etc) is a recipe for frustration.

Got a recommendation on a putter? I'm not opposed to trying something different...

Ditto on confidence however how do you get confident when you're sucking?

This helps me: Hopefully you have nailed a tough putt, at least once, when it counts. I like to use those good memories as a quick "egoboost" as I'm walking up to a difficult putt.

From my limited experience it is not the best idea to try to exactly replicate someone eles's putting style. IMO it is more about finding your own style. I tried the Feldberg push put for a while and had some of the same problems you seem to be having. So I watched a bunch more vids and tried a bunch of different Pro's styles. None of them worked that great. Then I watched the putting confidence vid on the discraft sight. I found that I needed to find my own groove/routine. I use a combination of push and spin putting and it is working great for me.

Work on short stuff like 10' first and lots of them.

Find your own style and do the same motion over and over.

When you can make 99% from 10' move back to 15' and so on.

I am putting with confidence out to about 25' now and hitting 85-90% of those putts. My scors have droped significantly in the last two months.