• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OK, so how do you really get better with putting?

Get a [insert random putter here], your putting will improve over night

Fixed. I think part of the reason behind the "new putter works better than old putter" phenomenon is that with a new putter, you're actively trying to figure out how to get the disc in the basket rather than just relying on muscle memory like people are apt to do.

Get a Pro D Magnet, you putting will improve over night

midnight, I can see you doing a Sham-Wow type infomercial for the Magnet.

"Order now and you'll get not One....not Two...but Three Pro D Magnets. And....for the first 500 callers, a free,stylish sun hat. Whether you're ripping a drive or tearing one off, this sun hat will keep you in the shade."

"But wait! There's more!

" Pro D Magnets are scientifically designed to thrown by BOTH righthanded AND lefthanded disc golfers. And are virtually indestructable. As an added bonus...if you call now....this limited edition Magnet will arrive inscribed with The Lords Prayer hot stamped on the flight plate. Supplies are limited. So call now."

( 3 easy payments of 19.99 plus shipping and handling)

(Pro D Magnets are available in soft, firm, extra firm and ribbed.)

Last edited:
You guys really know how to take the wind out of a guys sails.:(

Don't take it that way,it's awesome you've found a putter that you love so much,that's a battle many people(including myself)struggle with all the time:thmbup:

But some things that work for you,won't work for everyone. Given,you can putt with just about anything with the correct style,but still,you get the idea.

"Order now and you'll get not One....not Two...but Three Pro D Magnets. And....for the first 500 callers, a free,stylish sun hat. Whether you're ripping a drive or tearing one off, this sun hat will keep you in the shade."

"But wait! There's more!

" Pro D Magnets are scientifically designed to thrown by BOTH righthanded AND lefthanded disc golfers. And are virtually indestructable. As an added bonus...if you call now....this limited edition Magnet will arrive inscribed with The Lords Prayer hot stamped on the flight plate. Supplies are limited. So call now."

LOL, good stuff! Can I place an order!?

So I've been working on a variation of the drill/game posted in this thread. I start at 5 paces with two putters of the same weight. Make them both, take another pace away from the basket. If I miss both I start all over again at 5 pace. I am very inconsistent with stepping off my paces also, so that 6 is really sometimes closer to 5 or 7, 7 closer to 6 or 8 etc. I figured that'd help with not worrying so much about needing to put"6 paces worth of power" or "9 paces worth of power", and the like. My main thought going into a putt from 35' and in is "laser it". I am much more consistent when I try to laser the putt straight through the basket. I get into to much of a rut at trying to toss the disc to the basket.

I also work quite a bit from 20ish feet and in just making putts like in the discraft video.

Plus I've been trying Soft APX's and really like them. They seem to have a perfect amount of soft/floppy/grippy/tackyness, but still hold their shape well enough for a consistent grip.

"But wait! There's more!

:clap:

Don't take it that way,it's awesome you've found a putter that you love so much,that's a battle many people(including myself)struggle with all the time:thmbup:

But some things that work for you,won't work for everyone. Given,you can putt with just about anything with the correct style,but still,you get the idea.

this is how I feel as well regarding midnightbiker and the magnet

it's a fantastic putter....but so are many others

either way it's all good, no bad feelings

My vote

I feel as strongly about my Gumbputt. I think it's the best putter ever. To each his own and whatever works for you!:)

This is something I haven't thought of too much. When I make a competent looking putt misses are typically a little low. However, it's the putts that get a little wilder, usually lofted way high and fading off hard, that drive me crazy. That's what I typically do on the course when I make a bad putt. It's almost embarrassing, because nobody else I play with putts this way, so some people tend to think I'm trying to use a bad style.

I guess I cave under the pressure on the course or something lol
I don't have much to say about this, but I did have the same problem. When practicing I could get everything to work, but on the course I just started wildly missing high and with a huge fade. I deduced that I'm having problems directing my power forwards instead of upwards. I watched a couple of videos of push putters and tried to figure out how they achieved the forward momentum. The answer was quite simple and pretty much instantly made a difference: Just lean forwards more. This helps getting the majority of the arm swing to go forwards instead of upwards and gave me more accuracy up and down, while also increasing my range. Not saying it's bound to work for you, but it's worth a try.
I feel like I already do that for all my putting. Feldberg says to use more pressure from the pinky to hold the disc in the palm. So I put almost all the pressure there, only trying to hold with the index/thumb to keep the disc from slipping or moving around in my hand. I could be wrong and am not doing that as much as I think, I have no idea lol.
I believe he has since retracted and advocates about 70/30 front/rear power split for putting and 30/70 front/rear for driving. At least this is what he told us in Finland. I have seen the video where he talks about gripping more tightly with your pinky and asked him about it, but he was pretty adamant about the 70/30 for putting.

i have recently been in a putting slump also.

ive been asking my buddies that i shoot with to take a look at my putts and see if they can tell why i putt so bad lately.

one of my friends said i wasn't concentrating, i was "missing the putt before i tried". my remedy to this was to take a second before each putt to relax my body and my mind, then when i felt centered, i stared down the basket with as much focus as possible. it absolutely helped. i sank a few shots i didn't expect to make, but i had convinced myself that i could. im no locastro or feldberg, but i hit my last putt today :D

Be aware of tension in your body…scan from head to toe for excess tension…get rid of it.

When I'm in a slump I switch it up..if the hyzer isn't working, I'll try anhyzer spin, or straddle…I practice all of these, so something will eventually work.

Also, you can't use what was working yesterday as any sort of assurance it will work today.

The next time you play a round do not warm up using the practice basket. Instead go practice using a couple of the baskets you will be playing during the round.

Putting is something you can only become better at by practicing, if someone tells you they only go out and play rounds and expect to become a better putter, that's pretty hilarious. Practice 100 shots before your round it will take less time than it will for a pair of 2 to play through the first 9 on a course. As in ball golf, bowling, darts, archery, shooting, other precision sports; there are some "fundamentals" to doing good but in my humble opinion it's probably about 10% physical, 90% mental so if you can process in your brain what you are doing wrong and how you can improve and execute that, you will become better. Not saying all of a sudden you will go from making 40% of your 25 foot putts up to 90% by changing one thing; instead you need to just keep toying with what works for YOU, don't listen to other people and what works for them physically but try to ask and understand what works for them mentally. kind of hilarious how people take it so in depth about what you have to do with your body, it's really a lot more mental and not much in the physical aspect. focus, "feel" your shot and envision it the whole way through, make slight adjustments one step at a time, throw 100 putts or so before or after a round or just go out to putt sometimes and not even play a round, if you think pros or people who are good got that good by going and playing only rounds, it would have taken them 15 years to get as good as someone who goes out and field throws their bag and practice putts and does those little exercises for two years. In ALL sports, they practice drills and doing exercises, just comical when people say they go out and ONLY play rounds (which is what most do) and actually expect to do better. Pick up AT LEAST 5 of the same putters in the same weights and practice with those, it's best to pick out a putter and start using them, don't switch much. Not sure what else to say.

^^
^^^

I like these suggestions from discwrangler and joesouthfla. they aren't technical.

good putting seems to have a lot to do with confidence in your stroke. these are great tips to get out of a slump and get back to hitting the target. a basket on a green is a live target. a practice basket is just that.