• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
The Top Ten: How To Identify A Master By Scott Papa. (Modified for new audience)

10. the masters player carries more painkillers then discs
Darn near impossible for a Master player up on anyone. They carry Ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and others in Childproof bottles and can always be heard over the sound of creaking joints and moans caused by backache agony. The again, once they break into these bottles you've never met a happier bunch of guys.

9. They have a chance of shooting there age
When achieved this is fun. However, this window is a small one Youngsters with all the D have to shoot in the 20's to mid 30's Guys in the 40's have all the luck, and they need to take advantage of it while they still throw further then the putt. Okay so the Masters 60+ still have the same chance on most courses but we are talking under par for most of the courses.

8. They always have a better story of how great it used to be
No matter how great the course is or how awsome the day is, it is never as great as it was back in the day before you knew the sport. Not only that, but it will never be that way again- that is until the non master is the master or longtime player telling some younger player how great it was back in the heyday.

7. They do not throw as far as most under masters yet still beat them
Distance is overrated when you have the skills and savvy of an old guy.

6. When they offer advice, it maybe worth listening to
If a golfer makes time to talk to you about your game and has advice that actually makes sense you maybe talking to an oldster. After playing for many years and having made many of the mistakes possible, most of the Masters find it redeeming that someone will listen to their bits of wisdom. if you are smart you will make the most of it.

5. When they talk during and after a round, it is not all about disc golf
This might be hard for some discers, but there is actually life beyond the course. After a Tournament round Not only are they heading back out to play more, they are often not even talking Disc Golf. Families, jobs and other real life topics come up as if these people still read newspaper and listen to news. It is totally shocking and true.

4. They are Challenged in the hair follicle department
You have seen it all: The pony tail comming from the ring of hair below bald spot guy (Michel Johansen a bit early with this), Not really bald just shave the hair dude, and the worst dye the little hair on top cause I am hiding the fact I have gray hair and am loosing it. Now unless you are seeing Dave Greenwell or Johnny McCray (or my dad hair still dark brown at 58 as of November 16 without dying it) you are seeing more head then hair.

3. The only reason they change discs is, well they don't change discs
First off these masters on up have the nerve to carry about a third the discs you do unless David Feldberg. To make thingd worse most of those discs were discontinued or that plastic type was before most non masters ever started playing. The worst part of this to see is the breakdown that happens when that CE disc finally cracks. Hide your eyes and Save yourself.

2. they don't understand what you are saying.
Disc names like Corvette make them think you are talking about a car, and terms Patent Pending they know when it was called something else in the local area (not a master but in the early to mid 2000's it was the Ass Backwards or Bass Ackwards in my area until the Patent Pending too hold).

3. The masters play in the shade
Sure it may cost a few strokes, but sun worshipers they are not. They have done there time in the shade be it working or playing. Now they hang out in the shade. If this makes the next shot longer then so be it at least they are not sweating on hot days.

31dcuf.jpg

And some of that^ too.

31dcuf.jpg

And some of that^ too.

Yep it is how my dad is able to play so well for his age at disc golf. Another is he will pick the line that uses the least body strain to execute for the shot he has, even using a slow fairway disc to a shot most others would use a fast midrange, going a single speed up on the disc for everything except putting.

When i lived in Michigan i played a few rounds with a 64 year old man i worked with. every round we played he would kick my butt. He has been playing for some time. doesn't throw far but throws straight. His PDGA member # is 1476

This what us older farts do. Might still be able to get off the occasional 300 footer but mostly average around 250 to 270 feet with driving. Ergo, while being accurate instead of just a wild bomber, we can still sometimes keep it competitive with the guys 30+ years younger than us.

Yep it is how my dad is able to play so well for his age at disc golf. Another is he will pick the line that uses the least body strain to execute for the shot he has, even using a slow fairway disc to a shot most others would use a fast midrange, going a single speed up on the disc for everything except putting.

That is to say with the easy line if it not a driver mega hyzer hook shot and the inside route with a slow straight fairway/fast straight midrange down a slighty closed gap he takes the second option.

Last edited:
I'm over 50. I played my first tourney in two years yesterday and ended up winning the old guys division by 11 strokes. I would have been one stroke out of second in open and averaged 972 rating, my best tourney ever.

Only problem was I was getting very impatient with one of the other old dudes. I could tell he was running out of steam in the second round, and was doing everything he could to drag the round on and on. Misplacing discs, losing his mini, talking while he was standing over every single shot. On and on and on. He didn't break any rules but man it was getting too much. I actually said something to the affect of "while you get 30 seconds before every shot, it doesn't mean you have to take the FULL 30 seconds every time. Oy vey!

I have been working out 4-5 days a week and my workouts are pretty fast paced and intense. I really had to force myself to be patient while this guy dawdled every time. My internal clock kept telling me lets go, but apparently his kept telling him it was freaking nap time.

I have 2 more tournies schedule this year, hopefully the groups I am in have a good rhythm and pace. Old guys....

I'm over 50. I played my first tourney in two years yesterday and ended up winning the old guys division by 11 strokes. I would have been one stroke out of second in open and averaged 972 rating, my best tourney ever.

Only problem was I was getting very impatient with one of the other old dudes. I could tell he was running out of steam in the second round, and was doing everything he could to drag the round on and on. Misplacing discs, losing his mini, talking while he was standing over every single shot. On and on and on. He didn't break any rules but man it was getting too much. I actually said something to the affect of "while you get 30 seconds before every shot, it doesn't mean you have to take the FULL 30 seconds every time. Oy vey!

I have been working out 4-5 days a week and my workouts are pretty fast paced and intense. I really had to force myself to be patient while this guy dawdled every time. My internal clock kept telling me lets go, but apparently his kept telling him it was freaking nap time.

I have 2 more tournies schedule this year, hopefully the groups I am in have a good rhythm and pace. Old guys....

Playing against other people in tournaments would be perfect...if only there weren't also other people in them.

You sound fun. :\

Playing against other people in tournaments would be perfect...if only there weren't also other people in them.

I enjoyed the tournament and it was great to catch up with some people I only get to see once or twice a year. But it eventually seemed this guy was purposely holding us up for some reason.

We eventually started making some side bets just to keep the final 6 holes interesting.

You sound judgemental and grumpy.

Just sharing my experience dude, why that attitude?

Let's summarize. You are playing an advanced age protected division and destroying the field. A cardmate starts to get tired and starts to slow down his game, seemingly in a effort to maximize his energy for his game. Breaks no rules, but annoys you by not playing the way you would like him to.

I would just be more likely to offer support, some water, maybe a snack and enjoy the round. Don't misunderstand my pursuit of enjoyment as a lack of competitiveness. I just strive to build a group dynamic that allows for everyone to have a good time and play their best.

In your defense, the pace of play in tournaments can indeed be VERY different from practice or casual rounds. And lastly, please don't think this kind of pace is exclusive to the old geezers. I have seen this and worse in every level of play.

Let's summarize. You are playing an advanced age protected division and destroying the field. A cardmate starts to get tired and starts to slow down his game, seemingly in a effort to maximize his energy for his game. Breaks no rules, but annoys you by not playing the way you would like him to.

I would just be more likely to offer support, some water, maybe a snack and enjoy the round. Don't misunderstand my pursuit of enjoyment as a lack of competitiveness. I just strive to build a group dynamic that allows for everyone to have a good time and play their best.

In your defense, the pace of play in tournaments can indeed be VERY different from practice or casual rounds. And lastly, please don't think this kind of pace is exclusive to the old geezers. I have seen this and worse in every level of play.

This was not worse then in the 2000's the Grandmasters player in my state of South Dakota who played in Open in small tournaments and in Masters for larger regional events anything larger was the Grandmasters he could play due to his age being in his 60's. He would take the max time to putt then claim distraction on his putts waiting for the distraction to get over then try putting again having to have it completely free of all distractions. He would even once used a bird that did not affect his approach shot but then did affect his putt. If you tried to give him a penalty stroke for excessive time he would threaten to have you disqualified for writing down the wrong score for a player. It got to be such a problem that players who knew him and were on his card would tell the director about him and to watch, then he would walk up to the putt when his turn and quick mark then throw doing the mark and putt under 5 seconds and often make the putt in better form then taking the excess time, and the director would leave.

He was one of the few people who actually liked the old Discraft Chainstar baskets as they caught his putt style the best and was why the good Rapid City Course, Jackson Park had the old Chainstar baskets until the higher metal disc caching basket height was mandatory for tournaments past C tier. Then they got Mach V baskets :)

It was the mp40 division, not ma40 division. He should have played his division if he couldn't keep up.

It was my first tourney in 2 years, had no idea what to expect of my game. We actually had a good group dynamic and had fun, and supported each other. I don't bring enough snacks for the other kids, it's a tourney, I'm maxiimizing my energy by not carrying more than I need to.

I call shenanigans on you though. If you were so interested in group Dynamics like you say, you wouldn't attack me. You would congratulate me on the win and for playing way better than I expected at 53 years old. Then maybe offer some constructive criticism if you see an area where I can improve.

Get off MY lawn you cranky coot.

Just so you know where I am coming from in full disclosure. 4 months ago I was a mess. Wonky knee, my numbers were going through the roof, was aggrevated by the crappy weather. So I started hitting the gym again for something to do.

Numbers still through the roof although getting good results at the gym. So I started eating right. Cut all fast food and junk out of my diet. Started eating veggies instead if fries and chips with dinner. Within 2 weeks I lost 10 pounds and now my numbers are back where the we're 25 years ago.

So I'm working hard to stay fit and hopefully beat father time for a little while longer. I'm proud of the progress I have made, and the results show in my disc golf game. A game that I really love playing and provides a great outlet and a chance to meet some great people.

So I really have no time for negative people like you in my life it's too short and I still have alot I want to accomplish. Sorry if this doesn't meet your standards of fun.

You do you, I'll do me. Keep discing and try to keep it classy.

Th Kids these days have no respect for tradition.

When I was a kid if we were playing ball in the back yard... running bases... and the ball went over
the fence into the neighbor's backyard, the grumpy old man living there would let his dog out. The dog would jog
out in the yard, retrieve the ball and take it back into the house. Game over. Damn right.

Now days kids don't play ball in the backyard and I've no reason to let my dog out.
These kids got no respect for their elders or tradition.
Damn kids! Get out of the house and play ball.
And stay off my lawn.

I thought it was the kids who were supposed to get bent out of shape on the internet. Sounds like some of these old farts need to grow up.

Meh. I'mma go take some Geritol and hang out with fun people. Peace out

Latest posts