• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
Yup I remember seeing stars and being dizzy after contact on many occasions. Coaches always told us we just had our bell rung and to walk it off.
Our coaches had a player who didn't have a helmet participate in live tackling drills with other fully uniformed (helmets) players

My good friend lost / cracked four of his front teeth!

Our "coach" was arrested the next day

We didn't have a coach or scrimmage before our first game.

We had to pull out a retired knee high coach ( great man) to coach us. He did a great job and we all appreciated his leadership. We even had a winning season.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Play catch with the dog almost daily- she demands it. :) Right now I am recreating my putting from being generally staggered feet to being generally straddle because my left leg/hip gives me such an inconsistent push and also forces me to limit practice that way. Straddling works my core more but my weakest point (that hip) much less. Once the putting comes around I will be playing OK.

Last year when I was playing the worst of my dg career I was getting simply no practice at all due to being crazy busy. I have stepped back my responsibilities at the Roost a bit for this year but am currently working on 4 different courses, an A Tier, a Silver Series, and 20 or so other events so still not a lot of time on the horizon. Eventually it tends to wear down your discipline when it comes to finding practice time.

Oh I know of putting woes, amazing how quickly it can tank a round. I hit the basket 9 times in the first round yesterday, 7 of which which where circle edge or out. The difference between a great round and slightly below average. Still trying to dial things in and at least my card mates and I had fun with it.

Selfishly we enjoy all of the work you pouring into the community but we also enjoy rooting for you against the other dastardly pros. :D When I first started playing I severely under estimated the amount of practiced to took to reach the tops levels.

Great speech yesterday, best yet. I will see if I have any tricks up my sleeve this upcoming weekend.

Selfishly we enjoy all of the work you pouring into the community but we also enjoy rooting for you against the other dastardly pros. :D When I first started playing I severely under estimated the amount of practiced to took to reach the tops levels.

That darn Bob Cannon really is the dg version of Snidely Whiplash...:p

Great speech yesterday, best yet. I will see if I have any tricks up my sleeve this upcoming weekend.

thanks for listening... hopefully there won't be too many more too soon... ;)

Yay. Looks like I get to be carded up with the juniors for a tournament tomorrow. I hate kids. Should be a fun time.

LOL.....it does happen to us masters a lot.

I have told the story of traveling a couple hours to play a tournament to hunt for a berth for the Michigan State Championships. I had signed up for MA40, as a 55+ year old. There were three of us in the division. When I got there, the other two had bailed and they would not let me play for a berth by myself. I said cool, put me in AM3. They carded me in a threesome with 6 and 8 year old boys. I don't have kids and don't necessarily seek out opportunities to spend my free time with them. They were good kids and their parents were cool in keeping them on task. But...they were kids. They found a snake, got into a couple stick wars, wanted to go into the creek.....all things kids should be doing. Did not make for an easy round for concentration. I still shot very well and was in second place at the break. I thought cool, 5 berths on the line, I am on lead card....play smart and bring it home. I check the board for round two and I am carded with the kids again. So, I go to the TD and tell him...WTF, I am playing for a berth here. He tells me the kids thought I was great and the parents requested me to play with them again. SMH.....it did not seem cool to pitch a fit. I sucked it up and played. It was WAY worse, lol. The kids were done, they were interested in everything BUT disc golf, at that point. We finished about 30 minutes after everyone else and I missed the berth by 1 stroke. Shrug....the plight of the old guy, right?

I am thinking these kids are probably well into their teens. Two of them are roughly 950 rated so I am guessing I'll be holding onto the back of the box for most of the round.

And, for the record, I don't really hate kids. Raised two of them and have so many nieces and nephews that I have plenty of experience around them.

Still, I'd rather be carded up with men or women who have at least graduated high school.

Hopefully my round goes well and I don't accidentally teach them new curse words.

LOL.....it does happen to us masters a lot.

.... I sucked it up and played. It was WAY worse, lol. The kids were done, they were interested in everything BUT disc golf, at that point. We finished about 30 minutes after everyone else and I missed the berth by 1 stroke. Shrug....the plight of the old guy, right?

Haha I played a tourney with my dear friend, whom I love very much, great guy... likes to play for skins during a tourney :( but he has been known to hire a caddy to bring a cooler full of ice and beer :)

I was in contention, the rest of my group was not. My dear friend Bobbo stopped a few times during his throw to tell a story, haha. We were 1/2hr plus behind everyone else, got hit with torrential monsoon I miss Africa kind of rain for the last 30mins... and he kept pace, and by that I mean slow pace. Haha. My game got shook and took some bad and frustrated putts. Probably lost 3-4 strokes I shouldn't have. Came back to the clubhouse muttering and they're all like "what did you shoot?"

"I dunno ****ing 4 under God damn whatever...."
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah I am ****-er threw it all ****-in away, I know how bad I tanked..."

Well you just won!

Haha great result I probably didn't fully deserve, unlike the time I played Halloween glow tourney the first time and got paired with a solid contender.. We were about 4/5 strokes in the lead 18 holes in and heading to the last 9 stretch. That's when the acid kicked in that my partner had handed out in the previous 9, I was the only one not down to clown... Half the pack got lost in the bush, couldn't find their discs.. Wandered aimlessly, about 1.5hrs behind everyone else we finally finished at 2am... and lost horribly. Someone was happy but it wasn't me. I think it was approximately 2 1/4 hrs to play 9 holes. Hahahahahaha f--k.

My son and I have been outside in the practice field twice to rev up the beginning of our season, the first throws of any kind we've done other than basement putting practice and putting league all winter. 12-year-old looks great. Real great. I, on the other hand, have never felt older. All winter I have also been working steady overtime, on my feet for 12 hours some days. I'm a wreck.

The good news is our first tourney isn't for two months. Here's hoping I gradually get loosened up! Last year of MA-40, here I come, then I can play in divisions where everybody has something wrong with them. (Those brand-new MA-40 guys who are currently 39 often appear like normal people to me!)

Last edited:
I check the board for round two and I am carded with the kids again. So, I go to the TD and tell him...WTF, I am playing for a berth here. He tells me the kids thought I was great and the parents requested me to play with them again.

A TD who grants grouping requests in the first round is begging for trouble. A TD who grants them in subsequent rounds is violating the rules.

If you have a small number of juniors, somebody's going to end up grouped with them, and most often it seems to be the women who get stuck with it. But it should be based on which divisions have the matching number of excess players to complete the card, period.

My son and I have been outside in the practice field twice to rev up the beginning of our season, the first throws of any kind we've done other than basement putting practice and putting league all winter. 12-year-old looks great. Real great. I, on the other hand, have never felt older. All winter I have also been working steady overtime, on my feet for 12 hours some days. I'm a wreck.

I'm 63, and live on a disc golf course. On the other side of the course lives my 14-year-old nephew.

If you graphed our skill levels, the ascending and descending lines would cross about here. But this is a challenging course, and though he can throw a lot further then I, sooner or later he blows up. But he did beat me for the first time last October 3, which I remember specifically because he keeps mentioning the date.

Then last weekend, on a more open course, he whipped me by about 10 strokes.

So I can read a graph, and know we're heading for a time when I'm reminding him of the last time I beat him, instead of vice versa.

The moral of the story being, enjoy watching the rise of the 12-year-old, but beat him for as long as you can. If he sticks with it, your skill-level graphs will cross one day, too.

I'm 63, and live on a disc golf course. On the other side of the course lives my 14-year-old nephew.

If you graphed our skill levels, the ascending and descending lines would cross about here. But this is a challenging course, and though he can throw a lot further then I, sooner or later he blows up. But he did beat me for the first time last October 3, which I remember specifically because he keeps mentioning the date.

So I can read a graph, and know we're heading for a time when I'm reminding him of the last time I beat him, instead of vice versa.

The moral of the story being, enjoy watching the rise of the 12-year-old, but beat him for as long as you can. If he sticks with it, your skill-level graphs will cross one day, too.

He got me for the first time on my 47th birthday last year by draining a 45-footer at Vicksburg Recreation Area. Beat me 9 times in total for the 2021 season out of a little over 100 rounds, but it happened like 6 times in the last 6 weeks. He's getting real good real quickly.

We got randomly partnered at putting league a couple of weeks ago and I totally carried him. It's the short game he hasn't really figured out yet although he's gotten way better. It won't be long.

I always give him my best effort so he knows when he beats me he's earned it.

This year we're moving up to long tees at league for a couple of the courses that are getting too easy from the shorts (Robert Morris and Spring Valley). I think he'll be clobbering me at these courses by the end of 2022.

Hey, we threw in the field for the third time today and I felt GREAT! Hip feels better plus it's 65 degrees here for the first time since probably last October. I needed that.

Ouch, have we really reached that point in life where beating a 12 year old is enjoyable. lolol.

Today was the type of round that reminded me why I fell in love with the game in the first place. It was early morning and I had the course to myself. Just me and the crunch of a light layer of snow on the ground. I took as many shots as I wanted, and really just used the time to unwind and relax from a long week, and enjoy the time outside and the flight of a well thrown disc, the few times it happened. I didn't care about score or if i was beating anyone else. It was fun.

And the course was short and wooded enough that it didn't bother my various old guy aches and pains too much.

Played with the <18 kids for round one of a tournament today. Wasn't a terrible experience but I did finish +15 for the round but wasn't as much the kids as the sub freezing temps and high, gusty winds that killed me.

Got carded up with the old dudes for the second round and the weather was better so I managed to shave 16 strokes off my previous score and finish -1 for the second round.

Honestly, kind of glad it's over and looking forward to some summer tournaments.

Honestly, kind of glad it's over and looking forward to some summer tournaments.

I'm totally a fair weather tourney player nowadays. I don't sign my son and I up for sanctioned events until the beginning of May. For starters, I don't want to play in a sanctioned event unless I've gone through my own version of spring training, and I like to hibernate in winter. Never have been crazy about how a Disc feels going off my fingertips when I can't feel them well.

There's a tournament going on right now at Oshtemo TWP Park with icy fairways, muddy basket areas and 40+ mph wind gusts. Sanctioned! No thanks for me. Sufferers are out there all day long. Played in some Cracked Plastic Classics in early Feb. when I was younger and remember at about hour #6 being pretty miserable, and that was when I was in my twenties. Some people dig it and that's cool, but not my cup of tea at all anymore.

I play year round so I don't really have an off season where I need to shake off any rust or get my game dialed back in. I do admit that the older I get the less enjoyable it is to spend all day outside in the cold for a tournament. One round is fine but two rounds in a day is no longer fun.

On a positive note, although I am not very good at this whole disc golf thing, I shot a 901 rated second round which is my highest scored tournament round to date so I guess that almost made it worth my suffering.

I play year round so I don't really have an off season where I need to shake off any rust or get my game dialed back in. I do admit that the older I get the less enjoyable it is to spend all day outside in the cold for a tournament. One round is fine but two rounds in a day is no longer fun.

On a positive note, although I am not very good at this whole disc golf thing, I shot a 901 rated second round which is my highest scored tournament round to date so I guess that almost made it worth my suffering.

My highest-ever rated round in 2005, from the same 24 tees, still had me 11 strokes shy of Al Schack. He shot in the 1040's that day.

i was supposed to watch celtics pistons on friday. tickets two rows off the court were not bad at $400 each!

but decided to just fly to san francisco and visit my older brother who took up disc golf during covid (even though for the past 7 years i kept on telling him his sports back ground - professional skateboarder in the mid/late 80's and competitive league tennis player through his teens until present).

we played two rounds at golden gate park yesterday and will drive out to dela vega too. weather has been perfect (i was getting sick of the cold wet sloppy snow in CT).

my theory was correct. in 8 months he's got great backhand and forehand form (sidearm putter well over 250ft on crisp no wobble anny/straight/hyzer. backhand and sidearm drives 350-370.

he just turned 50!!!

i did watch my celtics beat the pistons on tv. and we might watch warriors bucks live as long as we aren't tired from the disc golf.

Latest posts