• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
Realistic appraisal question. Im 46 and I just recently threw my max D BH on a golf line of 410'. Last year I FH a shryke I caught just right about 340'. I avg 375-400' BH and 275 FH. Should I be content with these I mean where does that realistically compare to what is possible at 46. I know everyone is different and I can shoot for the stars but Im trying to get my thinking in line with reality about playing in MA40 and what I should reasonably expect from myself so I stop trying to compare myself to what would have been possible if I started playing at 16 V when I did start which was 37. What are your thoughts?

410 on a golf line would be a huge arm in MA40 around here.

There's no shame in 400 around here either. I play MA40 I'd say the average is about 350', 375'... lots of 300' players, more at 350, then thinning again at 375, few at 400' (15%?) Maybe 5-10% at 400'+

So by my armchair morning coffee calculations you would be in the top 20% distance wise.

Just go out and play and see where you stack up

The beauty of it is...it's MA-40. What have you got to lose? You're probably going to have a good time with the camaraderie, and you're 15 years past your physical prime so anything good you do is icing on the cake.

I took 14 years off after not enjoying myself in Am-1 anymore back in 2006. Re-entered sanctioned play in MA-40 at age 47 and started having a blast in real tourneys again, and we're talking 275' with good control and excellent putting allowing me to hang in there with the top young guys usually. 100+ more feet of controllable golf lines would be tops here too and we have a good MA-40 scene. That sounds like a pro masters player to me, to be honest.

Had my debut in MA-50 yesterday afternoon in a flex start c-tier. It's getting tougher and tougher to do well off the tee these days but I'm still pretty good 150' on in. I looked on live scoring how I was doing after starting the first 11 holes like garbage and was only a stroke out of first place. We're all in the same boat now. That's WITH Ibuprofen...

Thanks for the comments all! Just in my head a bit after seeing a post about a FH ace on a 475' hole that I was stoked to put on 410' on...im known to be in my head about things lol

The beauty of it is...it's MA-40. What have you got to lose? You're probably going to have a good time with the camaraderie, and you're 15 years past your physical prime so anything good you do is icing on the cake.

I took 14 years off after not enjoying myself in Am-1 anymore back in 2006. Re-entered sanctioned play in MA-40 at age 47 and started having a blast in real tourneys again, and we're talking 275' with good control and excellent putting allowing me to hang in there with the top young guys usually. 100+ more feet of controllable golf lines would be tops here too and we have a good MA-40 scene. That sounds like a pro masters player to me, to be honest.

Had my debut in MA-50 yesterday afternoon in a flex start c-tier. It's getting tougher and tougher to do well off the tee these days but I'm still pretty good 150' on in. I looked on live scoring how I was doing after starting the first 11 holes like garbage and was only a stroke out of first place. We're all in the same boat now. That's WITH Ibuprofen...

To me, this is the beauty of the sport for older players. I'm 66 y/o, and I feel I can compete against sub 1000 rated players on a 5000-6000 foot wooded course. I may not have the distance, but my scramble game is good if the holes aren't real long, and shorter holes even the playing field for guys like me.

I "hate" it when the open park Vancouver crowd shows up and starts crushing the holes I try to par... I can hold my own in the woods though usually make up a few strokes if i dont try to compete on their level. Haha I prefer to play with the pro women or grandmasters, they're easier for me to copy.

Nothing against distance, it has some importance…
But putting will get you the wins, if that's what you're asking.
400' will allow you to reach a few holes that others cannot, but if you can't consistently make that edge of circle 1 putt, why bother?

Good advice.... thats what i tell myself too, thats the way my game has shifted but.....
What if I could just throw a solid 350' again or better yet 375' AND keep my putt?

I'd love love ❤️ 400'

Last edited:
FFS I just tried to scroll a paper set of instructions...

Been working on my boat all weekend, got paper in one hand, phone in the other, 5 hrs of googling and cross referencing part #. I don't know if im getting older or younger.

While we're at it, has anyone else ever cracked an egg in the garbage and gone to put the shell in the pan?

Latest posts