• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Olympics womens discus

parrothead57

Par Member
I know this isn't disc golf related but....I'm watching the olympic trials. In womens discus throw the top qualifier just threw 216 ft. Thats a 1kg (1000g) disc! Amazing!

I would say I'd like to see what a top discus thrower could do with a golf disc but it would feel like a paper plate to them

THrowing a Discus is nothing like a disc. Although doing nothing but working on technique and core strength does help.

The 2k disc feels heavy as hell compared to a dg disc.

The spin is opposite. When I was in high school I checked a 1.6kg disc 188feet my senior year and lately I have been doing a 360 run up for distance throws or wide open holes and my wife always says I can do it because I used to throw the discus and hammer in college, but I always tell her and friends its an opposite spin and no snap, more of a push off the fingers with the built up momentum. 216 feet is pretty good, that's Olympic medal caliber. Furthest I ever saw a girl throw in person was 205 back in 2000.

The spin is opposite. When I was in high school I checked a 1.6kg disc 188feet my senior year and lately I have been doing a 360 run up for distance throws or wide open holes and my wife always says I can do it because I used to throw the discus and hammer in college, but I always tell her and friends its an opposite spin and no snap, more of a push off the fingers with the built up momentum. 216 feet is pretty good, that's Olympic medal caliber. Furthest I ever saw a girl throw in person was 205 back in 2000.
i was also a discus thrower, i competed in college but there is no carry over to dg. in fact i have to remember not to spin by habit.

i was also a discus thrower, i competed in college but there is no carry over to dg. in fact i have to remember not to spin by habit.

Same deal here. Someone once said I should have a sick 360 chickenwing :thmbup:

ahh, i love discus! i keep a few in my trunk (and a shot put)

someone help me out, how much do discus weigh in jr. high and high school for men? i think 1000grams for jr. high and 2000 for high school? i should look at the ones in my trunk. i never paid attention to their weights.

anyway, i think i still hold the record at 131' for jr high (1991). broke it by 28'. small high school, fyi.

but i stunk high school. never got above 144'-ish i think.

unfortunately i sometimes do a silly spin after i throw a golf disc which is a bad habbit i started in my youth while throwing shot & discus. you can see me do it here (vid of me a few weeks ago). it looks rediculous!!

ahh, i love discus! i keep a few in my trunk (and a shot put)

someone help me out, how much do discus weigh in jr. high and high school for men? i think 1000grams for jr. high and 2000 for high school? i should look at the ones in my trunk. i never paid attention to their weights.

anyway, i think i still hold the record at 131' for jr high (1991). broke it by 28'. small high school, fyi.

but i stunk high school. never got above 144'-ish i think.

unfortunately i sometimes do a silly spin after i throw a golf disc which is a bad habbit i started in my youth while throwing shot & discus. you can see me do it here (vid of me a few weeks ago). it looks rediculous!!

High School Boys = 1.6 kg
Age 11-14 Boys = 1.0 kg

My best was 130ish...

/walks away sadly...

Favorite discus memory

Threw discus in High School, but had a coach who only knew distance running. He left the field event guys alone so much, he once just gave us a technique manual. :doh:
Anyway, he'd occasionally look down over the hill to see if we were working or not. That's all.
None of us were very good (130-140' max), so one time when he glanced down, we grabbed the girl's discus and launched it 180-200', to see his jaw drop...until he realized what we'd done. :p

Threw discus in High School, but had a coach who only knew distance running. He left the field event guys alone so much, he once just gave us a technique manual. :doh:
Anyway, he'd occasionally look down over the hill to see if we were working or not. That's all.
None of us were very good (130-140' max), so one time when he glanced down, we grabbed the girl's discus and launched it 180-200', to see his jaw drop...until he realized what we'd done. :p

many HS coaches dont know the field events, im a track coach now and i have to cover 2 throws, 3 jumps, pole vault, hurdles and relay hand-offs. i was actually a decathlete in college so i do know my field events.

Latest posts