• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One disc rounds. . Do you throw them, and why?

1) What do you throw?
Buzzzes, OS&SS / Meteors / Zones

2) Why do you play these rounds?
My local courses are short, and usually I can find appropriate lines for my core discs.

3) Do you find them helpful?
Yes. I take at least 5 of one mold, and practice hitting lines that disc is good on. This doesn't always mean getting in the basket in two. For instance, with a Zone only round, I break up long holes into landing spots. It's essentially field work, but on the course.

4) Any discs that have been real eye openers and have helped improve your game?
Buzzz.

I played a one-disc round last summer just because I really wanted to play and it was too far to drive home and get my bag. It was a fun challenge, but I regret my choice of disc. I used a Mako3, which worked for drives and approaches, but completely messed up my putting form for days afterward. I usually pitch putt with an R-Pro Aviar and I couldn't get any finger spring because of the shape of the Mako3, so I made an adjustment to spin putt it. When I returned to my usual putter, I was missing 10-footers for about a week. Next time, I'll use a putter!

I have seen folks throw well with only a mid, but I can't do it.

I carry a throwing putter, as close to my putting one as possible, and just figure I'm going to give up a couple of tosses around the basket. Small price to pay for a quick and fun round.

I always keep at least one disc in every vehicle, just in case. You never know when a DGC will jump out and sing it's siren song. One disc rounds are a great way to kill time while waiting for traffic to clear. No pressure, no baggage, just fun.

Used to do it often. Nowadays, I do a lot of 2-3 disc rounds instead.

1) What do you throw? Rocs and Wizards

2) Why do you play these rounds? To dial things in. To put fresh eyes on a course I am have become to systematic about, to move fast and travel light, to not distract any newbs I am playing with my dazzling array of discs and shots, and sometimes just to get in one extra spin after a previous round or two, to drink a cold one and not carry my bag, and let the arm cool down.

3) Do you find them helpful? Yes. And fun.

Zephyr
Polecat
Proxy (forgiving, but holds lines and goes far)
Classic Aviar
Comet

I throw Zephyr rounds sometimes. always a blast.

usually I choose a mid and just see what I can do with it in all kinds of different shots.

you can learn a lot! using the "wrong" disc and making the "right" shot is very satisfying

and yeah, I've found I can do about anything with a Roc....

Rarely. When I do, it's from the short set of tees at my local course. I'll use multiple putters, instead of just one.

1) What do you throw? a Magic and a pair of Wizards
2) Why do you play these rounds? If I'm in a funk or if I'm short on daylight
3) Do you find them helpful? Defiantly.
4) Any discs that have been real eye openers and have helped improve your game? I like Wizards and Magics, but I'm sure many stable + neutral/understable putter combos would work just as well. Familiarity with your discs is paramount.

1) What do you throw?

X comet or Truth

X Comet rounds to just keep the back hand smooth. Truth Rounds when I play forehand only.

Just like anything else, its a tool. To build a big bench press, you bench press. which in this sense, is to throw a disc better, you throw a disc. But at a certain level, you need to start finding where you are weakest, and bring those up. weak in the hole? Maybe a cambered bar. Slow off the chest? Lets try some band work. Hard time keeping the bar rowed in, cant keep your lats engaged? Maybe we need to really start hitting back work to bring up that bench. ****ty lockouts? Guess we can board press, or work a slingshot, or work some chains. Just a few holes into that Comet round, you realize that your smooth 90%, is a more controlled line than your **** ya 100% get some turn out of it shot.

4) Any discs that have been real eye openers and have helped improve your game? X Comet for backhand, Original Truth. The truth is just stable enough for most people to be able to hyzer flip it 300+ and have it still fight back a bit at the end when thrown forehand. The Comet just because after the X has hit a couple things, its not hiding anything from you. If you OAT it, its burning. If you accidentally release with some anny, its holding it. Anything that is 0/0 -ish works great. If I could get a decent forehand grip on a comet I would just use it instead of the truth, but the DD line of mids just fits the hand so well.

Well, there is snow on the ground now (more than enough that I don't want to be searching for buried discs). So, I guess it's time for some one disc Wizard rounds!

1) What do you throw?

1) ESP Comet

2) For fun, and to hone in my midrange game (which is a must if you're not a power thrower)

3) Definitely. They make you strategize more on holes than just try to park them. Also using the same disc to make a variety of shots will increase your angle control and shot shaping ability.

4) The comet. People think it's just a straight/turnover disc, but once you learn to do most shots and angles with them successfully, you've really got a good basis for your game. About the only thing I can't do with them is throw a huge flex or a spike hyzer, but they can cover most anything in between in normal-moderate winds.

I use a 175 beat in gummy Diamond Wizard.
It really makes you stay bent over to keep the hyzer on a full power throw.
It will hold almost any line all the way to the ground.
I do the one disc putter round when I feel like my throw is off or I can't hit my lines, it is a real back to basics approach that always pays dividends the next round out.

Latest posts