• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Open carry at a pdga event??

Next time I see the ex-cop I sometimes throw with I'll run this by him and see what his take is. I would speculate that there would be more than one unit dispatched to the park.

Where I grew up, there was a guy locked in his house shooting shotguns at the road. Cops were called, he got hostile. Two units were there (four cops). It wasnt until he began shooting toward the cruisers that a brigade of state troopers showed up and gassed the house. Just how things are around here. Nothing an issue until it is. My dad is LE, three of my friends are LEOs. They would all agree with the exception of my father as he is LE at a large university. They're pretty responsive there obviously. If this happened there, or near there, it would handle with more cops, more caution, and it would be more serious. Out in the woods here though, not a chance. Not this scenario anyway.

Where I grew up, there was a guy locked in his house shooting shotguns at the road. Cops were called, he got hostile. Two units were there (four cops). It wasnt until he began shooting toward the cruisers that a brigade of state troopers showed up and gassed the house. Just how things are around here. Nothing an issue until it is. My dad is LE, three of my friends are LEOs. They would all agree with the exception of my father as he is LE at a large university. They're pretty responsive there obviously. If this happened there, or near there, it would handle with more cops, more caution, and it would be more serious. Out in the woods here though, not a chance. Not this scenario anyway.

Around here there would most likely be a response by SWAT, they take gun nuts seriously.

Around here there would most likely be a response by SWAT, they take gun nuts seriously.

Lol Maybe that was a poor example. Mainly because a guy shoot a shotgun out of his bay window from his couch is pretty intense and should be answered by more than just two cop units. I dont know what the call was they received, but it either wasnt taken seriously, or the call didnt include the part about the shooting out his windows. In that instance I think it was handled too lazily. I would say send the town cops, but the staties should have been dispatched there immediately as well because my town has no SWAT team and no unit of the like. The staties get called when they need that type of assistance. But at the same time, the mind set of people here are "nothing ever happens here". The cops and fire fighters sit at the coffee shop at the center of town for the afternoon and chew the fat. Then they go do radar across the street.

Where's "around here" in your case? I want to know the one town in this country where I can find "lenient" cops. Lol.

We get it. You don't like cops. But cops deal with people with firearms all of the time. Traffic stops, domestic disputes, robberies, etc. They don't gun down people all day long. They don't. It's their job to assess and deal with risks. They would have handled this complaint without shooting someone because they were accused of brandishing a weapon.

Oh, and I was pulled over last week doing 52 in a 35. The "lenient" officer gave me a warning.

I'm way more concerned about some dip**** pointing a gun at the sky on my card than any officer.

Last edited:
Where's "around here" in your case? I want to know the one town in this country where I can find "lenient" cops. Lol.

Western MA. Its all farm towns and forrest in the towns/area Im from. Everyone knows everyone and seriously, nothing happens. Aside from Pittsfield. Pittsfield is where the criminals from NY go to hide out. The weekly police log has nothing but DUIs, noise complaints and the occasional "I think someone was creeping around my neighbors house". Which usually is the neighbor creeping around their own house lol. But if I travel 45 minutes east Id be in Worcester and the guy pointing at the clouds would be answered by a lot of cops, IF someone called it in. Out there its all inner city but still probably wouldnt see a swat team until you got out to the Boston area. Although in Boston, taking the gun out would be a felony anyway. Even the liberals here who are "anti-gun", are at least tolerant of guns and the people who own them and Id be surprise if the scenario being discussed in this thread would have been a 911 call.
Springfield MA was ranked one of the worst or most dangerous cities in the country. But there never swat teams running around or anything. Its all overnight gang murders and muggings. Theres a big La Familia, Latin Kings and Bloods presence there but its typically gang vs gang violence. Thats the one place where I'd be considering a phone call if I saw someone pull a gun out only because i know not many people are granted a CCP there so odds are if I see a gun, theres a good chance its in the hand of a criminal.

We get it. You don't like cops. But cops deal with people with firearms all of the time. Traffic stops, domestic disputes, robberies, etc. They don't gun down people all day long. They don't. It's their job to assess and deal with risks.

Nah, take that "we get it, you don't like cops" noise somewhere else. I said, if you brandish a gun in a park in the city or county of Los Angeles, there's a good chance you will die. Is this not true? And if you freak out over-worked, anxious cops who are responding to your strange behavior, they might unload on you, understandably, whether you have a gun or not. How does that translate into "I hate all cops"?

In LA County, cops & deputies deal with insane people all shift long, every shift of their work week. You think I don't know that? Cops in LA County aren't particularly lenient. They can't AFFORD to be lenient, they deal with too many freaks. I was just asking the guy, jokingly, where these "lenient" cops were (his word) because it sounded like utopia, not necessarily because the cops in his town were lenient but because his town must be utopian for making the cops feel relaxed and unthreatened in the first place.

I have tremendous sympathy for ALL cops. Their jobs are insanely difficult. We, as a society, have saddled them with dealing with all of our behavioral ills, that fall outside the traditional area of police work, instead of taking on the responsibility of policing our own behavior. We, as a society, have forced them to deal with all of our mentally ill citizens, instead of taking care of our mentally ill citizens ourselves. That's not their fault, that's OUR fault. And our local governments have forced cops to write tickets for minor penalties that carry large fines so that they can raise revenue for their municipal operating budgets. Good luck getting a warning in LA County for driving 15 mph over the posted speed limit. That's not the fault of the cops, that's the fault of our officials who we've elected.

My point is, don't wave a gun around in Los Angeles or you could get killed. You jumped to unsupported conclusions and made unfair assumptions.

We get it. You don't like cops. But cops deal with people with firearms all of the time. Traffic stops, domestic disputes, robberies, etc. They don't gun down people all day long. They don't. It's their job to assess and deal with risks. They would have handled this complaint without shooting someone because they were accused of brandishing a weapon.

Oh, and I was pulled over last week doing 52 in a 35. The "lenient" officer gave me a warning.

I'm way more concerned about some dip**** pointing a gun at the sky on my card than any officer.

:thmbup:

Ive been pulled over 8 times since getting my license. Got one ticket, 3 written warnings, and 4 verbal warnings. I was in line at a subway a few months ago. Had a t-shirt on, had my gun on, concealed. Hadnt done the shirt tug after getting out of the car... Im last in line, cop comes in and gets in line. Comes up to me, taps me on my shoulder, and quietly says to me so the people ahead dont hear, "two things, fix your shirt - youre exposed, and can I just be sure your licensed?" Totally cool guy, I gave him my LTC he gave it back and asked whats my gun of choice. After I told him we had the usually S&W vs Glock debate lol. Do I think all cops would do that? Hell no. But they do exist. They're not all waiting under your bed waiting to shoot you for staying up too late.

Now that Im thinking about it... pulled over 8 times? How many times before Im deemed mentally unstable?

Last edited:
:thmbup:

Ive been pulled over 8 times since getting my license. Got one ticket, 3 written warnings, and 4 verbal warnings. I was in line at a subway a few months ago. Had a t-shirt on, had my gun on, concealed. Hadnt done the shirt tug after getting out of the car... Im last in line, cop comes in and gets in line. Comes up to me, taps me on my shoulder, and quietly says to me so the people ahead dont hear, "two things, fix your shirt - youre exposed, and can I just be sure your licensed?" Totally cool guy, I gave him my LTC he gave it back and asked whats my gun of choice. After I told him we had the usually S&W vs Glock debate lol. Do I think all cops would do that? Hell no. But they do exist. They're not all waiting under your bed waiting to shoot you for staying up too late.

You mean the "S&W if you like jams, and Glock if you don't" debate? :p

:clap: lmao

Yes. That or... "if you buy a S&W M&P youll have to spend another $100 on a trigger upgrade so you might as well save yourself the hassle and maybe a few bucks, and buy a glock" But they other side of that is, buy a glock and spend $100+ on new sights. Id take a good trigger or good night sights any day though.

final words from any S&W fanboy "yea well glocks are ugly anyway".

Nah, take that "we get it, you don't like cops" noise somewhere else. I said, if you brandish a gun in a park in the city or county of Los Angeles, there's a good chance you will die. Is this not true? And if you freak out over-worked, anxious cops who are responding to your strange behavior, they might unload on you, understandably, whether you have a gun or not. How does that translate into "I hate all cops"?

In LA County, cops & deputies deal with insane people all shift long, every shift of their work week. You think I don't know that? Cops in LA County aren't particularly lenient. They can't AFFORD to be lenient, they deal with too many freaks. I was just asking the guy, jokingly, where these "lenient" cops were (his word) because it sounded like utopia, not necessarily because the cops in his town were lenient but because his town must be utopian for making the cops feel relaxed and unthreatened in the first place.

I have tremendous sympathy for ALL cops. Their jobs are insanely difficult. We, as a society, have saddled them with dealing with all of our behavioral ills, that fall outside the traditional area of police work, instead of taking on the responsibility of policing our own behavior. We, as a society, have forced them to deal with all of our mentally ill citizens, instead of taking care of our mentally ill citizens ourselves. That's not their fault, that's OUR fault. And our local governments have forced cops to write tickets for minor penalties that carry large fines so that they can raise revenue for their municipal operating budgets. Good luck getting a warning in LA County for driving 15 mph over the posted speed limit. That's not the fault of the cops, that's the fault of our officials who we've elected.

My point is, don't wave a gun around in Los Angeles or you could get killed. You jumped to unsupported conclusions and made unfair assumptions.

It's absolutely not true that brandishing a weapon means you are going to be gunned down by police officers. Brandishing weapons actually happens way more frequently than most people would think (or would hope happens). Police deal with it all the time.

Lol. Don't you read the news? Cops all over the country unload on citizens all the time for doing way less than that. Sometimes you don't even need a gun to get greased.
Um...this doesn't show much admiration or appreciation for what police officers do. Glad you clarified.

Haha, this is the only opinion in this thread I have. I've run Glocks for years, and I own 2 S&W's currently, a Pro, and a VTAC M&P9. They made solid, solid wheel guns that are easily concealed and nice, I just never had any interest in wheel guns at all. My daily is a 21SF, back up/after hours/ccw is a 30S. I'm currently running a 34 in competition matches. With low grain reload ammo, the M&P 9's can be picky, much 1911's, they have their types of ammo they love and eat up, and then they have the kind they won't tolerate.

I guess to keep my post at least somewhat on topic...let's just say in TX that guy would be an idiot for clearing leather. I don't know why he did it, or what his intentions were, but that doesn't fly down here. OR gun laws may be really really lenient towards stuff like that, I have no idea. Any person walking around with a gun in hand, it gets at least 4 officer response, until we can figure out what's going on. SWAT is reserved for barricaded folks, felony warrants, etc.

Basically, if you're carrying, awesome, we just got OC here and it hasn't been a problem. But you gotta have a damn good reason for pulling it, not just a joke or playing around, or threatening a damn leaf.

Poor choice of words Corin. You dont seem like a cop hater, but your wordage led me to believe you were, at first. Dramatic maybe, influenced by media, probably, but not a cop hater. That said, cops here arent lenient because they want to be. They're lenient because for the most part the population is made of decent people and they feel that they can let their shoulders down some. People dont feel afraid to go out at night and cops dont feel on edge. Aside from those in those shythole cities but thats a bit of a drive from me and different county all together. This will blow your mind - I moved out of my parents house when I was 18 and went to college. At that time, we had only been locking our doors at night for maybe 5-6 years!! No one locked their doors. Few break ins happened and now everyone locks everything.

Haha, this is the only opinion in this thread I have. I've run Glocks for years, and I own 2 S&W's currently, a Pro, and a VTAC M&P9. They made solid, solid wheel guns that are easily concealed and nice, I just never had any interest in wheel guns at all. My daily is a 21SF, back up/after hours/ccw is a 30S. I'm currently running a 34 in competition matches. With low grain reload ammo, the M&P 9's can be picky, much 1911's, they have their types of ammo they love and eat up, and then they have the kind they won't tolerate.

I guess to keep my post at least somewhat on topic...let's just say in TX that guy would be an idiot for clearing leather. I don't know why he did it, or what his intentions were, but that doesn't fly down here. OR gun laws may be really really lenient towards stuff like that, I have no idea. Any person walking around with a gun in hand, it gets at least 4 officer response, until we can figure out what's going on. SWAT is reserved for barricaded folks, felony warrants, etc.

Basically, if you're carrying, awesome, we just got OC here and it hasn't been a problem. But you gotta have a damn good reason for pulling it, not just a joke or playing around, or threatening a damn leaf.

This is really the most important thing to be taken from this thread.

I have a S&W Shield. I like it, I like it a lot more now that I put the damn apex trigger kit in it! lol In MA its hard to find glocks that are fair priced... dont even ask, it will double the length of this thread. If I had to choose what CCW I wanted, Id have a really hard time choosing between the 30S and the 26 and the Shield. Although I'd probably sell the Shield for a G43 :p The M&P Pros are great though. Love them. Havent shot a VTAC but those are some nice looking guns

Not sure if this was stated anywhere, but was he carrying the gun on his body and playing in the tournament, or was it carried in his disc bag?

Guns are very heavy. If he was throwing drives while wearing a holster, that's nutty. But if it was in his bag, that's not always in his control (he's got to put it down while throwing unless it's a nutsac kind of thing).

Bizzare and dangerous.

I think the word we're looking for is "brandishing." If someone brandishes a weapon, the law's being broken and the cops and the TD and the PDGA (in that sequence) need to be involved.

If you can shoot down your disc without puncturing it you don't have to take a stroke for the 2 meter rule.

He was sitting on a bench and was talking about the clouds and pulled it out and pointed it at the clouds. Quite bizarre.

Not being there, I hesitate to say what I would definitely have done. It sounds kind of like he might have been going for the head-game angle.

If that's the feel I got, I may have actually just made fun of him/laughed in his face about it.

Not being there, I hesitate to say what I would definitely have done. It sounds kind of like he might have been going for the head-game angle.

If that's the feel I got, I may have actually just made fun of him/laughed in his face about it.

But don't get me wrong, I'm no Charlie Bronson. I wouldn't do that to his face if I felt like he might be a shooter.