• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Open carry at a pdga event??

He was sitting on a bench and was talking about the clouds and pulled it out and pointed it at the clouds. Quite bizarre.

Perhaps it was threatening to rain? I think this armed hero should be thanked by all the participants of that tournament that day for keeping it dry.

I'm surprised that it's not more clearly laid out, I'm still thinking it's gotta be buried in there somewhere though. Texas makes sure their laws are pretty easily accessible and laid out, OR apparently doesn't share that same application.

What handgun would you even carry that would be effective on boar? I know people hunt them with .308. Are boars too tough for say, 10mm? Or would we be getting in to the larger magnums?

I think the 9mm would at least be a deterrent. Anything smaller probably wouldn't even pierce the skin.

My 80lb draw crossbow got about 6 inches in at the ribcage, but it's pretty thin there- my brother and father in law each had .44 magnums on the same hog- one rifle one pistol- and after the crossbow shot, each of them put 5 rounds in its head before it even sat down. 300 pound male- long as the bed of the truck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 33
Perhaps it was threatening to rain? I think this armed hero should be thanked by all the participants of that tournament that day for keeping it dry.

*nods in agreement*

somebody shake that man's hand, and get him a beer.

I think that if you feel so threatened by everyday life, that you have to carry a gun at all times, then I feel sorry for you.

This comes from someone who has hunted, supports gun safety/rights and used to own a few rifles.

If you don't feel safe playing a round of disc, then maybe stay home and play with your gun.

Just wanted to update, I got a response from a Sgt from the Oregon State Police.

"Brandishing" is defined as waving or flourishing as a threat or in anger or excitement. We would not consider looking at a weapon or showing it in public as brandishing. In the event he pulled the weapon and did not point it at anyone or anyone's tangible property, there would be no offense.

The Oregon Revised Statute that I would refer you to is ORS 166.

Well, living in East Tennessee, there is always a firearm about somewhere. Most(there is always that one idiot, like the one this thread is about) people know how to handle firearms and are very safe with them.

Yes, I carry, but not playing DG. That would play havoc with my drive.

If you don't feel safe playing a round of disc, then maybe stay home and play with your gun.

There is a course in a neighboring city, that if one went at the wrong time, one might need some type of weapon on ones body. There is a reason I don't play that course.

From a European standpoint, this topic is just surreal. First of all, carrying a gun while playing is just about as absurd as it gets. But the general consensus that Americans as a whole are gun nuts, I guess it shouldn't really be surprising. But the opinions of people then actually having a gun and taking it out is equally as surprising. I would think that wasn't a rare occurrence.

Why the hell would you need a gun to play disc golf?

Clearly neither of you have been to Rum Village Park in South Bend, IN.

DavetheRocketGuy is now nominated for "Post Of The Year". :clap:

This. Nothing wrong with carrying as long as you're in "carryable" place (Not on a school campus, etc). Taking it out like that is irresponsible, stupid, and a total neglect for everyones safety. Its people like that that give everyone else a bad name. I've carried concealed many times on the course. In MA its technically legal to open carry but I wont for a couple reason. 1) Its not socially accepted in MA being such a heavily liberal state and I dont want that kind of attention. 2) Because despite that on a course, open carry would be more comfy, I dont need nor want anyone to know I am. 99% of the time Im carrying, no one around ever knows. And its never once came out of the holster. A buddy wants to see it, I say "later".

Yes
Yes

and yes I agree.

If someone chooses to carry and obeys the golden rules to gun ownership, I'm all good with that.

Pulling your piece out is only a form of showing off, not heading rule 4 IMO (know your target and what's behind it), and a sure sign of newbie dumb dumb move.

Latest posts