• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Open carry at a pdga event??

I think the word we're looking for is "brandishing." If someone brandishes a weapon, the law's being broken and the cops and the TD and the PDGA (in that sequence) need to be involved.

Not in Oregon, as far as what I've read and seen others who live there talk about. They have no brandishing law. Every weapons law pertains to pointing, or communicating a threat while holding the weapon. Apparently you can pull your firearm without any issues as long as you don't point it at anyone or threaten anyone verbally with it.

From a European standpoint, this topic is just surreal. First of all, carrying a gun while playing is just about as absurd as it gets. But the general consensus that Americans as a whole are gun nuts, I guess it shouldn't really be surprising. But the opinions of people then actually having a gun and taking it out is equally as surprising. I would think that wasn't a rare occurrence.

From a European standpoint, this topic is just surreal. First of all, carrying a gun while playing is just about as absurd as it gets. But the general consensus that Americans as a whole are gun nuts, I guess it shouldn't really be surprising. But the opinions of people then actually having a gun and taking it out is equally as surprising. I would think that wasn't a rare occurrence.

It doesn't happen as much as our idiotic media would have you think. It happens, and we do have several folks who dearly love their guns to an extreme and do some extremely stupid things with them, but randomly pulling them out like that like that, it's not that common occurrence in my experience.
I'm not talking about active shooters in this case though, just folks who aren't too bright when it comes to handling their firearm and, as far as I can tell, mean no real harm.

Why the hell would you need a gun to play disc golf?

There's no absolute need, but there's the right for one to carry in order to feel protected.

It's a highly opinionated debate that's probably better served for a different forum.

Why the hell would you need a gun to play disc golf?

Clearly neither of you have been to Rum Village Park in South Bend, IN.

It's not a matter of needing it. Most people who carry, carry for the what if, just in case things. It's a better to have and not need thing. I carry in places I know its highly "unneeded", but god forbid the day comes that I do, I'm not willing to let myself or loved ones become victims without knowing I did what I could to prevent that

I've carried on the course before but prefer not too when I'm playing in groups. It gets in the way of some shots and I'd end up putting it on my bag with the holster. It's pretty much a paper weight at that point and I refuse to put my bag down and turn around with it in there. We do have a lot coyotes, bear, fisher cats (furious little devils) and mountain lion where I live. I carry on solo rounds and glow rounds for that reason.

Kahr PM45 is a good toss in the pocket gun for rounds like that.

If you want to carry a gun with you for personal safety reasons, go for it. As soon as you pull that gun out of your pocket or holster, and pointing it anywhere, even if it's at the sky, I would shake every bodies' hands and then proceed to sprint out of the course and drive home where I am for sure to be safe.

The only reason I would even consider carrying my handgun to play is if I had a reasonable expectation That I would need to use it. For example- I've ran across wild boar tracks, ruts, and even a broken tusk at Bradford park near Charlotte. After seeing firsthand what it takes to kill one of these, I would be VERY nervous if I came across the animal. They are almost completely nocturnal though, so unless an errant disc finds where it's sleeping, it's not super risky.

I do keep it with me when I'm throwing and course-designing at the family farm though.

The only reason I would even consider carrying my handgun to play is if I had a reasonable expectation That I would need to use it. For example- I've ran across wild boar tracks, ruts, and even a broken tusk at Bradford park near Charlotte. After seeing firsthand what it takes to kill one of these, I would be VERY nervous if I came across the animal. They are almost completely nocturnal though, so unless an errant disc finds where it's sleeping, it's not super risky.

I do keep it with me when I'm throwing and course-designing at the family farm though.

What handgun would you even carry that would be effective on boar? I know people hunt them with .308. Are boars too tough for say, 10mm? Or would we be getting in to the larger magnums?

I've shot a few feral hogs with a .45 without issue, I'd say a hot round like a 10mm or .40 would do the job. I personally wouldn't try it with a 9mm, that's just me though. Down here most piggies are a bit on the small side though, but they do have some monsters that show up from time to time.

Not in Oregon, as far as what I've read and seen others who live there talk about. They have no brandishing law. Every weapons law pertains to pointing, or communicating a threat while holding the weapon. Apparently you can pull your firearm without any issues as long as you don't point it at anyone or threaten anyone verbally with it.

Generally, the verb "brandishing" includes the implied threat, so it is a brandishing law, just not called that.

Generally, the verb "brandishing" includes the implied threat, so it is a brandishing law, just not called that.

Right, yet still there was no documentation supporting or indicating that "brandishing" or simply displaying a weapon outside of its holster to be illegal. I have a buddy that's from the Oregon State Police, I shot him an email for clarification. Your operative word of "implied threat" isn't present in the scenario.

Right, yet still there was no documentation supporting or indicating that "brandishing" or simply displaying a weapon outside of its holster to be illegal. I have a buddy that's from the Oregon State Police, I shot him an email for clarification. Your operative word of "implied threat" isn't present in the scenario.

He wasn't just displaying it, he was waving it around at the sky at the least. Better to be safe than sorry and call it in and let the cops sort it out.

This will vary from state to state, the laws are all different...

...but...

I'm pretty sure that in every state that has open carry, drawing your weapon just for the hell of it is violating the rules. That's no longer open carry. He could have been arrested if anyone had cared to call it in. I'm being 100% serious, that's illegal (not PDGA illegal, but government illegal). He'd at the very least lose his licence, maybe fines and jail time.

In Texas (where I'm from) you can't carry (open or concealed) at a professional sports event. I suppose that if it's a tournament with pro divisions that it would fit the criteria. There are often city ordinances that come come into play at some parks that may ban it for any event.