• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Opinion on Stamps

Stamps influence on your purchase of discs?

• Stamps are not relevant

Votes: 55 93.2%
  • ill buy every new variation of the same disc with a cool new stamp

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters

gammaxgoblin

Eagle Member
What do you think....to me stamps are the most irrelevant thing about a disc...I mean yeah they are cool and all but since they dont influence the flight of the disc....over the stamps.
ps- i get that you can track certain runs of discs that fly the way you want by the stamp, thats as useful for me as they are.

What do you think....to me stamps are the most irrelevant thing about a disc...I mean yeah they are cool and all but since they dont influence the flight of the disc....over the stamps.
ps- i get that you can track certain runs of discs that fly the way you want by the stamp, thats as useful for me as they are.

When I purchase a certain disc mold and, everything else being equal, have the choice of a stock stamp or special stamp, I will almost always choose the stock stamp. I guess this is because, if it doesn't work out, and want to sell or trade it, stock stamps will probably have more universal appeal to others. But, if I really like the special stamp, which occasionally happens, then I'll get it.

I have never paid extra for a special stamp. Admittedly, I am a cheapskate of the highest order.

I would never, EVER let something as silly as a stamp influence my decision on what disc I want.

Unless it's pre flight number, or a proto star.

Or if it's pretty.

Or if I think it's funny.

Oh, and especially if it says STICKIN' PUTTS. That's a game changer for sure.

I don't mind paying few extra bucks for cool stamps.. I've got limited run and custom stamps (2 :)) the one on my profile page is my custom plasma envy evil dead ash with chainsaw arm and disc in left hand.. I wanted that for a while.

I don't lose many discs though. And my molds are pretty settled. I've got five Marm-O-Set limited envy runs as well, I like his art and I can never have too many envy or comets

A friend and I were playing a round the other day and he mentioned some disc and said it had a cool stamp. He showed it to me, yep, the stamp was cool. Then I realized that I don't even know what color the stamp is on the disc that's been my main distance driver for more than 2 years. Is it silver? Gold? White? I had to look a the disc to find out?
Now as I'm typing this...I don't remember.

The stamps mean nothing to me.
I can appreciate a pretty stamp.
I can appreciate a pretty disc in a pretty color.

But, I don't care at all about the color of the disc or the stamp.

A stamp is the furthest down the pecking order in terms of importance.

1. mold
2. weight
3. plastic type
4. dome
5. color (specifically, bright and easy to find)

Very rarely have I found multiple discs that equally meet the above criteria, allowing me to simply choose based on the stamp. I think this year's Lucid-X Tour Series discs by DD may be the first time that has happened for me. And in that case, I did go with the cooler stamp option.

Yeah I lucked out with the fission waves this year, all the SE's were below 169g and all the fission stock stamps were heavier.. So 3 SE's for me for an extra $3-4 a disc. :D good deal.

And actually one was a "blemish" a little raised bump of grit(?) so 1/2 price so the 3 were less than 3 stocks in the end.

For me it's just mold (absolutely!) and weight (mostly) and as long is it isn't one of the worst colours I will be fine.

Last edited:
I'm a stamp fan. Obviously if I need a putter, I'm going to choose a stock stamped Judge over an Ape with a super cool stamp. Or if I want to try a lighter disc I'm going to choose the stock stamped 159g Wraith over the super cool looking 175g Wraith.

...but stamp is important. If I have a choice, I'm taking the unique stamp. If I'm choosing between 2 comparable molds, I'm choosing the one with the cooler stamp. And if there is a disc I like and throw, I'm absolutely buying the cool stamp version.

I'll pay an extra buck or three for something with a nice little offset stamp. Otherwise I could not care much less. But yeah - a smaller stamp? Just a beautiful aesthetic to my eye.
Innova_Star_Wraith_Mini_Series_175_Baby_Blue_1_1600x.jpg

Stamps don't matter to me at all. The shape and feel are the most important to me. There is a weight range I am comfortable with and then the color of the disc comes into play (just needs to be bright). The stamp really doesn't matter, if it is cool looking, that is bonus points.

A stamp is the furthest down the pecking order in terms of importance.

1. mold
2. weight
3. plastic type
4. dome
5. color (specifically, bright and easy to find)
i dislike the wording of this poll, so i'm not going to vote. stamp/dye/how it looks is one of my main considerations when buying a disc, but i'm not purchasing every variation as the poll says.
i like aphilso's list, and a good poll would have a few more options asking which matters most when purchasing a disc. i take all these things into consideration, but color is probably my top choice.

I'm pretty sure the poll already assumes you have chosen everything else about purchasing a disc and before you pull the trigger there's a few variations, some with a stamp some without, which influences your purchase at that point? At least, that's how I took it.

Stamp matters to me. I wont buy anything too busy or anything with crazy foils like the flag foil. They tend to take away from the art and make it tough to see. I wont buy discs that have, what I consider to be, bad art. I wont buy discs that support certain pros and tournaments. Im just an angry middle aged man at this point when it comes to buying discs.

Interesting question... I (also) did not like how the question was phrased and did not vote.

I generally wipe stock stamps. I will leave tournament stamps if I like the stamp. But, it has to be pretty good to keep me from wiping it.

Generally speaking, I prefer contrasting stamp and disc. IMO manufacturers have gone a bit to far trying to offer swirls and crazy foils. Gushing over specific foils just seems stupid to me - looking at you wonder bread stamp fanbois...

Tour Series discs are another BIG pet peeve of mine....
I've bought tons of stock discs with Climo's name on them without paying more. Why should I pay more for a disc because some (relatively) unproven player needs to make a couple extra bucks?

This is especially frustrating when you want a specific stock disc (Cryztal Stalker or Glo Zone) but can't get it "off the shelf" because of all this TSBS. Then, then the TS runs drop, these fargin' "collector" cork-suckers buy them all within minutes just flip them the next week for 2-3x retail.
The people that do this should be erased from Earth!

I'm also not paying more for a Buzzz with Paige's or Paul's name on it. I've been throwing Buzzz longer than both of them combined!

Don't even get me started on Discmania releases!
I guess I'm a grumpy old man when it comes to discs as well...

I cared a lot about stamps early on. Then I realized I was playing into the hype train marketing and wasting a lot of money. These days I generally prefer blanks/minimalist stamps, but I still like stamps that are sentimental to me in some way. I ride or die for my Phish-stamped Wizard. I guess if I'm looking at the stamp, I care more about something unique/meaningful to me than something that looks cool.

It's part of the fun to throw discs that look cool. My only severe opinion is that i refuse to buy the stock jawbreaker stamp because it looks so dumb.

Latest posts