• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Optimal Drive Angles - More Questions Than Answers

Putters need more height to glide out distance and are less nose sensitive because they are not sharp nosed.

For maximum distance I would actually want the nose of the disc to be angled slightly down 4 degrees while throwing the disc on ~an upward trajectory of ~10-15 degrees?

I could be wrong (no pro here), but in my research this "nose down" angle is kind of hard to do when thrown level, straight, etc. I really don't see any of the pros throwing like this on their straight shots. The disc seems to be travel flat with just a hint of nose up. I'm talking typical 350 throws by the pros which might be mid ranges, fairways, etc.

On longer drives I think it's easier to get the nose down when throwing a high anny flex shot. Because at that point you're exposing the back flight plate of the disc and having the wind push it, etc. But this technique can be hard to put some power behind it. Hyzer flipping an understable disc which results in the same thing is easier to do imho but it's a combination of snap, right disc, release angle, etc.

So, going back to my initial diagrams, can anyone shed some light on what it takes to get the disc so it noses down coming over the apex of the arc instead of keeping it's initiall orientation and stalling out like the red disc? Is it possible too much spin is the enemy at the apex since it tries to hold the disc in the same orientation? Sounds blasphemous as I've aways believed you can never have too much spin. Thoughts?

The easiest way to achieve a nose down parabolic flight is to throw a spike hyzer, although it's not very good for distance.

The best way to throw a nose down parabolic distance shot is with a left to right hyzer-flip or distance anhyzer so the disc comes out the apex nose down anhyzer to the right.

If you are seeking a straight/flat parabolic flight, the disc needs to be working nose down enough to it's trajectory and it should arc with enough spin to maintain it's AoA to it's trajectory, and enough speed so it's actually creating slight negative lift. Not enough spin is going to flip or stall the disc. A straight/flat flight is inefficient for distance.

If you are seeking a straight/flat parabolic flight, the disc needs to be working nose down enough to it's trajectory and it should arc with enough spin to maintain it's AoA to it's trajectory, and enough speed so it's actually creating slight negative lift. Not enough spin is going to flip or stall the disc.

Any video examples of this (from anyone) ? Thx.

Latest posts