• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Original Flight Characteristics

What are you talking about?! Who has this access to privileged disc selection you talk about, are you talking about sponsored players able to go through factory stacks of plastic? And to say the other people don't. That's nonsense, unless your disc golf store only has a single disc per mold. What manufacturer are you throwing that is so wildly inconsistent. I throw them all, and they all work for me. I have yet to have this major issue you have.

And the "Giving all players full access to the mold variations they prefer would satisfy the fairness objectives of the rules." bit, you mean like discmania does with the PD?

I literally have no idea what you're talking about. Thankfully. It's the archer not the arrow thing, ya dig?

I am not certain that the time will come when your responses to strangers are considerate of more than your personal experiences. When I find that you are willing to reach beyond your experience I will respond again.

Since you have 14 posts on the three threads you started about the same topic, I will just combine the three and reply here.

It appears you are a lawyer. It also appears you clearly understand the spirit and intent of the PDGA rules on disc modification. You also realize these rules are not airtight and have lots of loopholes. Most players will simply assume you are following the rules and that all your discs are PDGA legal.

It sounds like you want to modify your discs back to some original ideal, but you are afraid your techniques may be illegal and that you may be caught. Since we are a self-officiating sport, you are automatically caught if you think what you are doing is against the rules.

Most players won't care if you use heat, or boiling water or racks or whatever to get a warped disc to have an even dome or to make it flatter or flat again or domier or whatever. You are more likely to ruin a disc through homemade tuning as you are to improve it.

In short, if you are convinced you are following the rules, your modifications should be fine. If you think what you are doing could be wrong, then it is probably is wrong. You get to be the judge, jury and defendant on this one.
I have to give it up for discette on this post. Well said.

the whole premise of this thread is ridiculous and even more ridiculous is the fact that so many people actually responded and stretched out the "facepalm" stupidity of the OP's conspiracy theory's of some altered disc police out to get him.

the whole premise of this thread is ridiculous and even more ridiculous is the fact that so many people actually responded and stretched out the "facepalm" stupidity of the OP's conspiracy theory's of some altered disc police out to get him.
...and there's another one.

4 threads, some premise, some concepts and same argument. Yes...at that point when they dead horse is nothing but a pile of meat and blood...you could go ahead and say it's ok to stop the insanity.

No one likely cares what you're doing with your discs, so long as they look and feel legal. Obviously melting in a red patch to a yellow disc would probably raise some eyebrows, or drilling holes in the flight plate, etc. Do your thing and move on. Unless you're getting on top cards at major events, it's highly unlikely anyone really cares about this as much as you do, that's not wrong, that's just the way it is. You seem extremely passionate about manipulating the plastic, which is awesome, but there's a very small niche for folks like that, I don't think anyone here shares that passion.

4 threads, some premise, some concepts and same argument. Yes...at that point when they dead horse is nothing but a pile of meat and blood...you could go ahead and say it's ok to stop the insanity.

No one likely cares what you're doing with your discs, so long as they look and feel legal. Obviously melting in a red patch to a yellow disc would probably raise some eyebrows, or drilling holes in the flight plate, etc. Do your thing and move on. Unless you're getting on top cards at major events, it's highly unlikely anyone really cares about this as much as you do, that's not wrong, that's just the way it is. You seem extremely passionate about manipulating the plastic, which is awesome, but there's a very small niche for folks like that, I don't think anyone here shares that passion.

That's some firm but friendly advice. My interest in things used in discgolf is not even close to the interest I have in the people that play it. Sport is a metaphor for so many aspects of our culture. When I started these threads I had no illusions that I would be giving voice to a long held demand for change. Instead I was prepared to hear outright contempt for anything that would disturb the prevailing silence. I was reminded of how much negative energy can be put into a claim that something is not worth the effort. I see your post as an attempt to save us from more ill-willed commentary.
This has been a necessary stage in a process, information gathering, if you will. I let it become more work for me perhaps, as I stooped to respond to a few personal attacks. It is basically over, except for the implicit obligation to respond to posts that actually contribute to a discussion on the merits of the question.

Latest posts