• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OS Utility disc question

neilz4

Bogey Member
I've got a 169 GL xXx in the bag but haven't thrown it around very much. It is still super stable. I'm curious as to how this disc compares with a Firebird (never thrown one)?

xXx and flat Firebird's are very similar, especially 11x Champ ones. The Firebird makes a better all-round thrower probably b/c they are easier to tame than the wild meathook that is the xXx. I like the xXx better for utility stuff better though, especially thumbers and skips.

xXx and flat Firebird's are very similar, especially 11x Champ ones. The Firebird makes a better all-round thrower probably b/c they are easier to tame than the wild meathook that is the xXx. I like the xXx better for utility stuff better though, especially thumbers and skips.

This. Firebird's are slightly faster, too; I don't mean faster as in rim width which is was speed numbers represent, but rather it is slightly more aerodynamic than the xXx. Also, GL xXx's are a a tad less stable than Opto's and are also a bit glidier (I know that's not a word, lol).

How far do you throw your average drives? How far is your absolute max D?

I consider the XxX to be true utility whereas a firebird I would say is an OS driver similar to discraft's predator. The XxX is great for overhand, sidearm, as well as an OS wind driver if needed. I used to have one in the bag but I didn't think the gap between my Z Drone and Z Predator was enough to warrant carrying another mold in my bag. I also stopped throwing overhands for distance because it was tearing on an already beaten up shoulder from pitching 90-115 throws a day during my baseball days. If you really want a beefy one get a flat opto XxX.

How far do you throw your average drives? How far is your absolute max D?

Avg. drives w/ a flat 170 GL River are ~300+. I can get a Striker out a bit farther, and have done probably near 400 only once with a bliz Wraith that I don't carry any more.

I've just recently improved my form significantly and can throw farther and better, but I haven't gotten much time to throw in a field since then.

Avg. drives w/ a flat 170 GL River are ~300+. I can get a Striker out a bit farther, and have done probably near 400 only once with a bliz Wraith that I don't carry any more.

I've just recently improved my form significantly and can throw farther and better, but I haven't gotten much time to throw in a field since then.

In that case I would personally suggest a Firebird, it's a bit less of a freak of nature and at your power level should be PLENTYYYY overstable. That, or just stick with GL's:)

Latest posts