• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Other Sports Remind Me of Courses

WD09

Par Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Many times when I am watching other sports, the location of the game or where the teams are from evokes memories of playing good courses in that general area. At times this thought process leads to the idea that a lot of people who regularly play at one of my favorite courses will be happy with the result of the game. Other times it's just a passing thought about hoping to play the course again.

For example, The Wildhorse-Idlewild game yesterday was a good one, but Maple Hill-Chili was a blowout.

Today I'm looking forward to seeing Golden Gate Park vs Selah Ranch and Moraine vs Waterworks.

Has disc golf just driven me crazy or do others have these thoughts?

Several years ago, Mrs ru4por and I spent a decade traveling to see the Red Wings play, at every hockey arena. We often took long weekends to a week, to hang out in the city, eat some great food, check out local tourist traps, hike and visit natural attractions and play some disc golf. It was not always possible, it was before Uber. But, we played some terrific courses. When watching hockey now, the games often jog our memory for courses visited.

Several years ago, Mrs ru4por and I spent a decade traveling to see the Red Wings play, at every hockey arena. We often took long weekends to a week, to hang out in the city, eat some great food, check out local tourist traps, hike and visit natural attractions and play some disc golf. It was not always possible, it was before Uber. But, we played some terrific courses. When watching hockey now, the games often jog our memory for courses visited.

Those sound like great trips and great memories!

I played BRP on a trip where we also went to a Twins game and saw the Red Sox at Fenway on two trips that also included Maple Hill and Pyramids. Both baseball and disc golf are involved in summer trips, when I can make it happen.

Forget other sports, just driving down a road I look at the landscape and think about holes that could be there.

You're far from alone lol

I definitely share this mindset too! Almost daily! LOL

I definitely don't have those thoughts with sports.

I do, however, imagine baskets and what shot I'd throw whenever friends put up their outdoor pics on FB/IG.

Back when the Wings were relevant! I'm sure Steve Y will get them back to some winning ways soon (look what he managed with TB!). My Wild look poised this year (crossing fingers).

Forget other sports, just driving down a road I look at the landscape and think about holes that could be there.

Driving down the road, hiking through the woods, watching tv shows, dreaming of having 20+ acres of woodsy land… basically something every day sparks a "put a basket there" moment. Man I want this snow to melt….

Not sports for me, but travelling to see Dead & Co. is what got me over to Cincy. Which made it feasable to play Idlewild, Boone, Lincoln Ridge and Mt. Airy. We also seen them a few days later by Indy (or earlier, I forget) so we got to bag Hazel Landing and a bunch of Indy courses. That trip sparked my recent course bagging exploits. Before that it was pretty much just WI and the states next to us.

We had such a blast seeing new, non upper midwest things that we figured we'd try to see the Dead in as many different places as possible and mix playing awesome courses in too. So in early 2020 we thought why not drive to St. Louis to see the Dead and hit Harmony Bends, Foundation Park, etc. Then Covid hit, concerts were cancelled. Harmony Bends was still open and I already had hotels booked. So we went to MO anyway. Loved it. In fact we had tickets to see Ben Harper in Fargo the month before (June) that was also cancelled. Went to Fargo anyway since Iwen park would be open and I had stuff booked.

Now this is the new norm for me. And I've seen places I never would have dreamed I'd ever see. When life gives you lemons, sometimes you gotta paint that s*** gold. (Obscure album title reference there) :hfive:

Same here. Everyday, I pass somewhere that I think "there should be a basket there".

3 spots just around my house. There's one spot where a highline comes down a steep hill, around a short corner, and there's this little cove of pines right there. Could play it as either a wicked uphill chuck or a fun downhill run. Everyday I pass it, and every day I imagine what I'd be throwing.

When I watch TV with my daughter I always say, "Wow, that would make for a wicked disc golf course" and she just rolls her eyes at me (as she should).

Latest posts