• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overhead or Anhyzer on Approach?

I moved in January, Mountain Pride is my current home course. Come on out, I'll show you around and show you what putters can really do, especially if you come during Santa Anas. ;)

Thumber works for Schwebby. A scooby is a roller.

My preferred method of approach is a nose-up putter toss to the right of the target. It predictably slows down and drops left towards the basket, assuming I didn't mess something up. I can also flick something fairly accurately from this distance, but it's not quite as consistent.

In my opinion, however, an anhyzer approach would be the least consistent of all methods because there are just too many things that can go wrong (such as turning too much, fading out early, having two chances to catch the wind, etc.). Overhand approaches from this distance are an interesting idea, but I feel like I woudn't be able to range it properly.

Basically, my ranking for preferred approach styles would be as follows:

1. Slight hyzer backhand
2. Slight hyzer forehand
3. Anhyzer forehand
4. Anhyzer backhand
?. Overhand

As has been noticed, it is easy to say that every player is different. Case in point, I played ultimate for years, and learned how to accurately place a Hammer throw (45 degree hyzer overhand shot you speak of). The throw and the mechanics are identical between disc golf and ultimate, so for me, when I am in that dead zone of 75-150ft. and I need an approach that isn't looking for chains, I go to that throw. I love it as I know that I can scoot it within 5-10 feet of the pole and using my aviar I can move it from left to right a ton. Played in a tourney where that was almost exclusively how I approached and I couldn't have been more happy with the results, through trees, out of thick stuff, even in low ceiling situations, that throw is pretty versatile for me.

That being said, it still winds up being 5th or 6th on a number of people's lists. But their top throw or two probably winds up low on mine. Play your strengths when it matters, and work on your weaknesses when it doesn't.

Anhyzer

For these shots I use a disc called the Zeppelin.
The Zeppelin was the disc created by discraft for the 2011 ace race but was never put into full production.

It's great because it has a ton of glide but it doesn't slowly fade out, which will increase the length of your shot..this disc has a ton of glide but it drops. kind of hard to explain until you throw one..

but if you can get your hands on one, they're awesome!

You can buy them on Dynamic Discs website for 8$

http://www.dynamicdiscs.net/Discraft-Pro-D-Zeppelin-Disc-Golf-Putter-p/0039-0.htm

anyone else ever throw this disc? what do you guys think of it?

And yeah playing ultimate helps because the zeppelin is probably the closest disc to an ultimate disc.. That may be why I like it so much but hey, never know until you try it!

On an open shot, 60-150' I throw a putter (zero hard pure) on a soft anny, nose up, that flexes back. Doesn't go far past the basket, and sometimes goes in.

You are talking jump putt distance.

Haha, be nice. Not everyone is at the same level of play on this site, though for my game I agree.

I would really recommend learning to throw putters on any line at that distance. This is really the most basic part of disc golf, throwing a putter where you want it, under 200ft. It's the first thing people should learn.

You are talking jump putt distance.

Jump putts for me occur in the 30 to 60 foot range. I can stretch a Roc out to 100 Feet but they fly too far past the basket if I miss.

Last edited:
As has been noticed, it is easy to say that every player is different. Case in point, I played ultimate for years, and learned how to accurately place a Hammer throw (45 degree hyzer overhand shot you speak of). The throw and the mechanics are identical between disc golf and ultimate, so for me, when I am in that dead zone of 75-150ft. and I need an approach that isn't looking for chains, I go to that throw. I love it as I know that I can scoot it within 5-10 feet of the pole and using my aviar I can move it from left to right a ton. Played in a tourney where that was almost exclusively how I approached and I couldn't have been more happy with the results, through trees, out of thick stuff, even in low ceiling situations, that throw is pretty versatile for me.

Hammer throw... I figured there was an ultimate equivalent since I saw that Ultimate guy on YT throwing them through a Basketball hoop. I've been throwing ultimate discs for 30 years, whereas I've been throwing Golf Discs for about 17. I hate the Dead Zone. I'd rather throw a 230 foot fairway drive any day :gross:

Latest posts