• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overlapping Discs?

Neophyte

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I am carrying the maximum number of discs that I would like to be carrying in my Fade Crunch Box and I want to pare it down to the essentials. I am about 50/50 BH/FH off the tee and then mostly BH for my approach and putting. Here is what I am carrying now.

Divers
Star X-Caliber 172g (Maximum Distance FH Driver)
Star TeeRex 172g (First FH Driver)
Star TeeBird 175g (Primary FH Driver)
ESP XL 174g (Primary BH Driver)
ESP Surge 174g (just picked it up recently and want to learn to throw it)
Champ Valkyrie 172g (BH Driver - Fades more than the XL)
Champ Orc 167g (BH for hard fades and thumbers/tommies)

Mids
FLX Buzz 169g (only mid I carry)

Putters
R-Pro Aviar 175g
DGA Titanic 175g (just played a couple rounds with it)

I know that I should probably decide to retire the Valk and the TeeRex but I am not sure. Alternatively are there some gaps that need to be filled? So what do you guys think? :confused:

well you just need 1 driver and 1 putter honestly, i throw my force on every hole there is, and i shot a 5 under par today and missed about 6 putts i should have had.

i think we need to know your most thrown discs, from what i can see there is overlap between:
XL and valkrie
Surge and Orc
X caliber and Teerex

these discs aren't identical to each other but i think that you could pick one or the other out of those three groups of two, also you should be throwing midranges a lot more

i think we need to know your most thrown discs, from what i can see there is overlap between:
XL and valkrie
Surge and Orc
X caliber and Teerex

these discs aren't identical to each other but i think that you could pick one or the other out of those three groups of two, also you should be throwing midranges a lot more

How in the world do you compare the surge and the orc and the xcal and teerex ? No idea on the XL and Valk, never thrown an XL.

Last edited:
XL and valkrie
Surge and Orc
X caliber and Teerex

Good thoughts, I was thinking of taking out the Valk and the TeeRex. Even though I only have one mid in my bag, I do throw it on essentially every hole.

If you like the Surge, I think it would easily replace the TeeRex and maybe also the X-Caliber for FH shots.

Really, I have only ever used it for BH. I guess that is something I should try the next time I do some field practice.

Carry less molds, different conditions.
Next purchases IMO:
elite z xl 17^ This will be dependable and grow with your game
Cryztal or elite z buzzz 174+ This will act as your stable mid. Make sure it has a flat top.
You could go wasp or drone instead of the extra buzzz.
Pro d challenger 174 throw it like a buzzz for long approach
later try:
z tracker very tecnical disc for expierenced fh and bh.
ESP pulse meet your new max fh
z xs a driver that goes far with less power when your tired
predator- I won't even spoil it for you

Drop the TeeRex, the Orc, and the Valk (you can keep one for overhand) add mids. An overstable mid (Roc, Wasp, Drone, Sentinel, etc.) and an understable mid, (Comet, Meteor, Skeeter, QMS etc.). Then you have a solid bag.

I would recommend an approach putter/short mid too. Classic Roc...something like that. If you are into more stable putters/putt-drivers try a Latitude Spike or Sinus.

FH it doesn't get any better than Star Max. I would say you could use a little more understable for certain shots....Sidewinder, Avenger SS maybe.
To add to your Buzzz: Drone (to hook more around things) and a Stingray to practically do anhyzer U-turns.

How in the world do you compare the surge and the orc and the xcal and teerex ? No idea on the XL and Valk, never thrown an XL.

i was comparing them not because they have the exact same flight patterns but because of the general speeds, the surge and orc are pretty similar in speed and the xcal and teerex are also, i was saying he should pick on of each of those, they're all too overstable and fast for him if he's getting max distance out of the XL so it really doesn't matter which

Buzz (every hole), Aviar (every hole), XL (most holes)

I'm surprised you throw such a lightweight Buzzz since it looks like you mostly throw heavier discs.

I would simplify big time. In addition to those three, I think you should carry the TeeBird and the Surge. The Surge will become your distance driver. I throw FH and can get more distance from it than my Force (very close to the X-Cal) unless it's really windy. You might also consider an overstable mid. I am playing around with the Drone and like it but am not completely sold on it yet.

yes the drone is a wonderful disc, if you want something a little less stable then the drone try a roc or a wasp

also i looked into my comparisons a little more and the teerex is a slightly slower XCAL with one less glide and the orc is the same as the surge with just a little less glide, i've thrown them all and they fly very much like the flight charts describe, so i stand by my comparisons

Latest posts