• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overrated things about disc golf

I probably should've specified mandos in recreational play...of course in a tournament you have to respect and abide by the rules, but I just don't get playing a mando during a round with your buddies unless it's there for safety reasons...a lot of times it's just the designer saying, "This is how I want you to throw, don't get creative, don't find a way to deuce this hole if you can't deuce it on this route."

What courses are you talking about? Every mando I've seen is for safety reasons to either protect other areas of the park like trails, pic-nic tables, etc. or to protect other disc golfers from fairways intersecting, tee boxes being thrown over, etc... But yeah, it'd suck to play on a course that is mando-this and mando-that for no apparent reason. One of the great things about disc golf is finding new lines and I love holes where everyone in the group ends up taking a different line.

I cant believe those guys actually take time out of their day to make those ****ty vids. I kinda blows my mind. They must make their vids from inside a mental institute and becasue they have good behavior they get to use a computer and a video camera.

Wait...is this overrated things about disc golf, or overrated things about DGCR? I think we all spend so much time doing both that we're confusing them...

What courses are you talking about? Every mando I've seen is for safety reasons to either protect other areas of the park like trails, pic-nic tables, etc. or to protect other disc golfers from fairways intersecting, tee boxes being thrown over, etc... But yeah, it'd suck to play on a course that is mando-this and mando-that for no apparent reason. One of the great things about disc golf is finding new lines and I love holes where everyone in the group ends up taking a different line.

There's a few I've played where the mando is "left of this tree," stuff like that, when there are no other tee pads, other park areas, etc. And while I see where the designer might be coming from in that it might be in an otherwise wide-open area where creating a mando takes away the "easy" route, maybe you should've just put the tee and/or basket somewhere else if you REALLY wanted that tree or two in play instead of having everyone just sailing through the open air.

The higher end plastics are overrated. There are a lot of people that buy the higher end plastics because they are pretty or because they think it will improve their game automatically. If you cannot throw the cheaper plastic the higher end plastic is not going to throw itself. Do not get me wrong though. The higer end plastics are good but most people place to much faith in them.

Innova is overrated. Some people look at other disc makers are acoff like they are above using anything but Innova, it's freaking crazy! Is most of my bag Innova? yeah, but that ALL that's sold around here and I refuse to buy discs that I have never held. Except for the discraft misprint deal that I have on the way. Which might be overrated too, I don't know yet through. I'll just have to wait and see.

The higher end plastics are overrated.

You must like replacing discs because the current DX is pure poop. I have a Gazelle from the late 90s that looks better than a current Gazelle that has hit maybe 2 trees...its ridiculous how piss poor they have dumbed it down to.

I don't buy premium plastic to better my game, I buy it because it is cheaper than buying a half a dozen DX that would probably STILL wear faster.

You must like replacing discs because the current DX is pure poop. I have a Gazelle from the late 90s that looks better than a current Gazelle that has hit maybe 2 trees...its ridiculous how piss poor they have dumbed it down to.

I don't buy premium plastic to better my game, I buy it because it is cheaper than buying a half a dozen DX that would probably STILL wear faster.

me too. the DX discs just get too flippy too fast. I still have a few for annies, but the vast majority of my disc are champ or better just so they keep their characteristics longer.

The PDGA
PDGA ratings
old CE plastic
Beaver Ranch
Aces on holes under 200' (nice putt)
Fly Dye (2nded)

my opinion...

heavily wooded courses. WAY overrated. Just because there are a million impossible to hit lines through ten thousand trees does not mean it is pushing your game and deserves 5 stars. Those trees are pushing my patience is what they're doing.

he means the number of times you have posted on this site that is listed across from your name. it is what determines your "bogey member status". to get "Par" it's 100 posts, 250 for "Birdie", 500 for "Eagle", and 1000 for "Ace"

Throwing over water. It makes any course look better, but for holes that require long shots over water, the risk of losing a disc isn't worth it.

Last edited:
I think Mandos are pretty cool actually. Not sure what the wedgie rule is, and yes I am sick of debating whether the top of basket should count. Because it definitely shouldn't. However, it should not be a penalty.

since when is top of basket a penalty?

Latest posts