• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

overstable mid or powered down stable fairway?

AaronAbn

Instead of throwing overstable mids, I tend to power down one of my fairway drivers- (stable if I want a hard fade, under-stable if I want a more floaty line/fade ). Do the same for fairway/ distance; putter/mid, etc.

Granted mids tend to be more precise than fairway drivers, but my powered down throw is more precise than my full throw by a larger margin.

I tend to like carrying less discs anyways, but powered down fairways seem to cover all the lines of an overstable mid while also adding a few more.

Just wondering if anyone else does the same, or for those who have considered it, why they went the direction they did. Also, what factors might I not be taking into consideration.

I'm the type of person who hates to "power down." If I can throw a different disc at the same power and get the preferred flight, I find that I can be more consistent and accurate. There are of course various shots that require me to throw something like a short flex shot with a stable/overstable fairway driver, but if I have a 300'ish shot that I want to fade to the left hard (rhbh), then I'm going to throw an overstable mid. One thing I've noticed is that wind tends to effect a disc when it's traveling slower, and living in Nebraska where wind is very prominent is probably another reason why I prefer to throw full power as often as I can. Hope this helps!

I don't like powering discs down either. I think it's something I should try though.

Edit: For example, I'd rather throw a Buzzz or Comet for things around 300 ft. than a powered down TL.

I don't like to power down, unless it it on an extremely overstable disc like the xXx or Z Pred. There are only a few situations where I would do that though.

This is my whole game. I love throwing TD's and leopards on a hyzer because instead of bombing out they ride that hyzer for a beautiful line.

If Dave Feldberg can power down to a driver on 300 ft holes than so can some of us. I play to score well not too boost my ego because I am capable of reaching a 250 ft hole with my wizard, 275 ft with my buzz, 315 with my eagle or 375 with a bolt. See the shot, throw the shot. I see Barry Schultz throwing his Leopard when other guys are throwing rocs or even sometimes a putter.

Depends entirely on the shot. Sometimes its better to power down, sometimes better to throw a mid.
The landing zone/surface usually is a big factor in my decision.

Depends entirely on the shot. Sometimes its better to power down, sometimes better to throw a mid.
The landing zone/surface usually is a big factor in my decision.

This exactly, it depends a lot on what type of skip I want, or a glidyer hyzer, or just a number of things. In the woods I definatley like to power down more though.

I usually hate to power down. I would prefer to just throw a mid-range at full power. That is why I carry a wide selection of mids: so I can get whatever line I want with them without having to power down. For me it is more accurate just like other people said.

The exception for me is when it comes to approaches, rather than throw my putter harder, I prefer to throw my Ibex nice and soft with a little nose up so it just glides forever and sits where it hits the ground.

I prefer to go with a mid. When I try and power down a disc I usually throw it nose up or with too little power. Both resulting in some cussing and deciding I should have thrown a mid.

My real problem is between throwing a putter or powering down a mid. I tend to not snap mids in this situation and throw a bad shot or turn my wrist over with a putter and have it go too far right.

Such big decisions in disc golf. Lol.

I prefer to throw in the 80-90% range all the time. It's the range I trained in most, and it's what I am comfortable with. I HATE powering down discs and will only do it on putter approaches if the shot is shorter than my max putter distance ( Well, obviously... ).

But there are certain shots ( low cieling or when you want a biiiiig skip at the end ) where powering down a driver is a must. Apart from these shots though, I dont wanna do it.

Each has their place. Neither are wrong, and pretty much depends on the players discretion when to use what.

That's the beautiful thing about golf, 4 people can look at a shot and get there 4 completely different ways in an equally effective way.

I throw quite a few powered down fairway driver shots, especially forehands.
I pretty much throw all my forehand shots "powered down." Of course I don't really have a "powered up" forehand shot. ;)

If you've built your throw from the hit back then "powering down" is really easy. You don't actually throw with less than ~80% power, you just don't take as much of a run up or don't reach back as far.

For really overstable mid shots I just throw a really overstable driver without a run up. I find they can accomplish everything a really overstable mid can but with more control and more options. With really overstable mids I have a hard time getting more than one or two different shots no matter how I throw.

If you've built your throw from the hit back then "powering down" is really easy. You don't actually throw with less than ~80% power, you just don't take as much of a run up or don't reach back as far.

Is there ever a point where you take your legs out of the shot? I think my problem is just that I haven't been putting "traditionally" long enough to extend my putts out to my "0 reach-back" D; the point is, though, that there's a distance around 70-100 or so feet where I don't have a shot that is consistent. I can't quite putt that far, and I can't get my throw started from the point where I'd have little enough reach-back. I suppose a 3rd option would be "how much distance can you take off by reaching back or running up less?" Can you throw 80% at less than 100'?

To OP: I'd be more likely to use a more stable putter on a mid shot than a driver. 60' short is nothing compared to how badly I could screw up a powered down driver.

I pretty much throw all my forehand shots "powered down." Of course I don't really have a "powered up" forehand shot. ;)

For really overstable mid shots I just throw a really overstable driver without a run up. I find they can accomplish everything a really overstable mid can but with more control and more options. With really overstable mids I have a hard time getting more than one or two different shots no matter how I throw.

I agree on those overstable shots, I just power down on a banshee or firebird and it's very predictable and controllable. On moderately overstable shots, a little extra hyzer on a roc works just fine for me.

Is there ever a point where you take your legs out of the shot? I think my problem is just that I haven't been putting "traditionally" long enough to extend my putts out to my "0 reach-back" D; the point is, though, that there's a distance around 70-100 or so feet where I don't have a shot that is consistent. I can't quite putt that far, and I can't get my throw started from the point where I'd have little enough reach-back. I suppose a 3rd option would be "how much distance can you take off by reaching back or running up less?" Can you throw 80% at less than 100'?

To OP: I'd be more likely to use a more stable putter on a mid shot than a driver. 60' short is nothing compared to how badly I could screw up a powered down driver.

I use my putter on a wide hyzer to add some distance to the shot if there is room. If not, the Rattler comes out. That disc is super easy to range

Latest posts