• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pain when I drive backhand

craigd

Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I'm just wondering if anyone has this experience.

If I am throwing for and long distance I always throw forehand. The problem is if I throw too hard with a backhand I get this ringing pain on the top of my hand. It is a little hard to explain but it is on the top of my hand just behind my pinky and ring finger. It is sort of a electric shock/sting/burning sensation and will last a couple of minutes after I throw. It is not excruciating but hurts enough not to want to do it over and over. Again it does not happen unless I am really trying to get some good distance (200' +/_).

I am just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if they were able to correct it and if so how?

i get that to when throwin over 300 when i first start playin ,its worse on cold days. after a few holes it goes away thats why i like courses that dont start with alot of long open holes. if your courses have amateur or kid tees try playin those for at least a couple holes to warmup then go back to 1, even better if you got a buddy with you or a friendly local bust out your putter and play some catch keep backing up as you get warmer,this is also a good way to get your aim dialed in

pinched nerve? never had this happen myself...only a tennis elbow type soreness if i find myself not following through...

I used to get that pain every time on my first drive. Like you said, it doesn't necessarily hurt but you do feel it. Ever since a changed my approach on drives it hasn't happened. It might be a certain jerk you, or the angle that your releasing the dis? Perhaps your overextending yourself?
Try this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo
It helped me add 50' to my drives in less than 10 minutes! I'm not kidding. Hope this helps.

MONDO

Last edited:
I've had my throwing hand hurt somewhat like that before. It happens if I go out to the practice field and without warming up just start throwing hard. It feels as though all the blood in my arm has rushed to my hand and it hurts bad for a little bit. It hasn't happened recently because I try to throw softer (60-70%) before throwing bombs.

Sounds like you may be twisting your elbow and forearm too much. OSS is right, warm up first before trying to crush long drives. Some stretching exercises may help too. The sharp/burning pain you describe is most likely a nerve issue exacerbated by tendons twisting in your arm.

Thanks guys... I had some shoulder pain at first with hard backhand and I have sort of worked that out but the hand thing is making me crazy. I am going to try warming up a little more.

You're trying to throw harder than your body wants you to. Pain is the bodys way of telling you that something is wrong, in this case it might be your follow through. Follow through is the key to reducing injury.

You're trying to throw harder than your body wants you to. Pain is the bodys way of telling you that something is wrong, in this case it might be your follow through. Follow through is the key to reducing injury.

I think you are right. I defiantly was not following through like some of the videos I have been watching. I going to give it a shot later today.

I have had that, especially on cold days. I would just recommend stretching, warming up with so midranges (to warm up your elbow joints), and if that hasn't worked do some pushups to get your joints going. You might look a little funny but when your kicking eveyone else's butt it won't matter. Hope you feel better.