• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth goes to discraft.

Buzzz

Just noticed this. I like seeing DGC's list of top sellers. It's a good benchmark for what's selling. Usually Innova dominates that list & all of a sudden there's the Undertaker. Wonder why?

Buzzz always goes towards the top when they release new stamps. Especially when those full foil are so sweet

More

Paul's move is obviously a huge part in discrafts spike in sales. But I also give discraft props for stepping up there social media game.

Yep, look at discgolfcenter's current top 20 sellers. A couple months ago, the only Discraft on the list was the Buzzz towards the bottom.

Today, Buzzz is #2 with the Undertaker at #7 and Comet at #14.

Buzzz is #1, Undertaker has fallen to #11, Comet is #15, Heat on the list at #16. Everything else is Innova.

Give it a couple of months and people will be complaining that the Heat is not a good roller because they can't throw an uphill roller with it like McBeth.

I don't know, people don't complain the Destroyer is a bad disc because they can't throw it like McBeth does, and 90+% can't.

Hell, the Nova is touchy as all hell, crazy straight if you throw it right, but dang.

Give it a couple of months and people will be complaining that the Heat is not a good roller because they can't throw an uphill roller with it like McBeth.

That's not the way the internet works at all. Give it a couple months and people will be bagging the Heat and not throwing it, then saying "I shoulda thrown my Heat on a roller there... I can get 600' uphill with that disc on a roller."

Absolutely. I feel sorry for the lost souls who still think that pros don't move the meter when it comes to disc sales.

I'm not sure that is what people are saying. Indeed, I think they are saying that is absolutely true. Pros move the needle. The question is, does the movement of the needle cover the added cost? If I'm selling a disc for $20 and it costs me $15 to make it, then I make $5 per disc. If I now slice off $1 per disc to give to Paul, how many more discs do I have to sell to break even, little alone to make more money? Revenue doesn't equal profit. Increased revenue doesn't equal making more money. It can, but it isn't a foregone conclusion.

To get Paul, Discraft laid out a chunk of change. Or that is the rumor. Now, they may have captured some from other players moving out, so we don't really know their overall numbers. But the numbers we're hearing are a good bit, relative to their reported revenue.

These kinds of discussions tell me clearly why our generation is broke though.

Look, Discraft is a great company. They have been around a long time and have made great products. I play some of their discs. The questions that people are asking aren't fanboi, they aren't stupid, they have to do with risk and reward and cash flow. Well, okay some of them are fanboi and are quite silly, but that doesn't mean thinking about the cash movement within the company isn't legit, and interesting.

That's not the way the internet works at all. Give it a couple months and people will be bagging the Heat and not throwing it, then saying "I shoulda thrown my Heat on a roller there... I can get 600' uphill with that disc on a roller."

The Heat is a lousy disc, I can't throw it like Paul, and I've never thrown it. I am completely sure I'll never throw it like Paul, ever.

BTW - I thought the video review of Discraft drivers was pucky. Really, fill the bag with their drivers and go throw them. That said, I really liked what he said about the Zombie. Tis a long Buzz. Beyond the fact that I thought something similar when I threw the Zombie, I like the notion that you can move up a notch from that midrange into something manageable that flys a little more driverish. Oh yeah, the Leopard is the same, as is the River, funny that.

I'm not sure that is what people are saying. Indeed, I think they are saying that is absolutely true. Pros move the needle. The question is, does the movement of the needle cover the added cost? If I'm selling a disc for $20 and it costs me $15 to make it, then I make $5 per disc. If I now slice off $1 per disc to give to Paul, how many more discs do I have to sell to break even, little alone to make more money? Revenue doesn't equal profit. Increased revenue doesn't equal making more money. It can, but it isn't a foregone conclusion.

To get Paul, Discraft laid out a chunk of change. Or that is the rumor. Now, they may have captured some from other players moving out, so we don't really know their overall numbers. But the numbers we're hearing are a good bit, relative to their reported revenue.

These kinds of discussions tell me clearly why our generation is broke though.

Look, Discraft is a great company. They have been around a long time and have made great products. I play some of their discs. The questions that people are asking aren't fanboi, they aren't stupid, they have to do with risk and reward and cash flow. Well, okay some of them are fanboi and are quite silly, but that doesn't mean thinking about the cash movement within the company isn't legit, and interesting.

I think, though, that the equation changes depending on how much it costs to make a disc.
My admittedly speculative guess is that discs cost much less to make than $15. Most wholesalers and manufacturers and retailers will price their product at about double their cost.
So a reasonable manufacturing cost for DX is probably ~$2, Pro maybe $3.50, Champ maybe $4-5 and Star maybe $5. Realistically, these numbers are probably high.
With figures like these, the calculation changes. How many extra discs will Discraft need to make to make a reasonable ROI?
From where I stand, it was genius to get Paul...

Absolutely. I feel sorry for the lost souls who still think that pros don't move the meter when it comes to disc sales.

Don't feel sorry for us. I was just wrong, it seems. I just cannot imagine buying a disc, because a pro throws it. My throw and distance is nothing like the pros, and disc perform significantly different with my armspeed, so why would I?

I assumed most disc golfers, particularly this group would be in that same camp. Looks like I have been proven very wrong. I guess my future as a disc manufacturer is in serious doubt.

Don't feel sorry for us. I was just wrong, it seems. I just cannot imagine buying a disc, because a pro throws it. My throw and distance is nothing like the pros, and disc perform significantly different with my armspeed, so why would I?

I assumed most disc golfers, particularly this group would be in that same camp. Looks like I have been proven very wrong. I guess my future as a disc manufacturer is in serious doubt.

I hear you. I've never purchased a disc because of how a pro threw it, or because it was in their bag. But, like you've realized, a lot (maybe a majority?) of players are the opposite of us.

I hear you. I've never purchased a disc because of how a pro threw it, or because it was in their bag. But, like you've realized, a lot (maybe a majority?) of players are the opposite of us.

We all throw 450', right?
Isn't this the Internet?

I've been firmly in the camp that top pro's move more discs than anyone was expecting... but at the same time I don't know if I would say a majority of players are directly buying because of how they see a pro throw it.

A few do, and those few spend WAY more money than the average. I know two guys I throw with regularly and their disc buying habits are almost laughable as far as picking up discs based on who won and who did what the last tournament they saw over the weekend. Then they can't throw it and give it away or PIAS and start the cycle over. These same two guys are also always saying things like "oh you should get this disc or that disc. If you throw a Teebird like that you should try the Monster..." Point is those two guys buy significantly more than the standard disc golfer who may also be an over buyer, but just not for the same reasons.

Then many many people buy based on popularity. So the root of that popularity may be based on how the pro's throw but it comes from somewhere and result becomes popular discs stay popular as people try and pick them up damn near out of their legendary performances. ie Destroyer.... wholly hell so many people bag and horde so many of those.

You never bought a Tour Series Comet or Buzzz?

I'd consider an MJ Comet he always comes across as a cool dude and based purely on his ask MJ Comet love thread here he is my favourite pro! I hadn't bothered to watch him throw until I noticed he hung out with us schmucks haha. I don't need more Comets but the last time I was at a bigger store I looked for one to support him with my two dollar? royalty.

I also will not switch back to Discraft just because McBeth is but I will be watching him more since I'm more of a Discraft guy than Innova. I doubt I will buy a Disc for him though I'd be curious to see how he may tune a Force mold though those days are long gone for me.

You never bought a Tour Series Comet or Buzzz?

Lol....I have not. Living in Discraft country, having been playing forever and a passion for finding and throwing what fits my game have left me with more plastic than 6 players would ever need. While I occasionally enjoy watching pros play, it does not have much of anything to do with my game. If I were being honest, I probably watch more to see the courses, than the players.