• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth signs 10 year, $10 000 000 contract with Discraft

But it´s still risky for Discraft..10y is a long time....if he gets injured and can´t play anymore.

If paul can´t win anymore in a few years due to injury, he wont play
I'm willing to bet there are plenty of injury/cancellation clauses in the contract.

They didn't write him a $10 million dollar check and say "you're our disc golf slave for the next ten years."
It's still a job. There are things both parties will be responsible for doing over the next ten years and Paul will be paid according to a schedule, probably with performance bonuses when he wins.

There are many NFL contracts that are valued at $$millions? yet it never gets totally paid because of incentives in the contract. So 10 mil is possible for Paul but I doubt it's guaranteed.

I'm sure there are clauses in it.

Must play X events including Y majors, must play these discraft events, etc.

The timing of the announcement is interesting, right before the start of the Pro Tour. In effect, this is the final word of the off-season contracts. It announces that Paul (a.k.a. Pablo) is the MVP for 2021. There is nothing the other companies or players can do until November. As mentioned earlier, I wonder what Ricki is thinking right now or Innova for that matter? Will they feel pressured to up their contact(s) to show that they can play the game too?

The timing of the announcement is interesting, right before the start of the Pro Tour. In effect, this is the final word of the off-season contracts. It announces that Paul (a.k.a. Pablo) is the MVP for 2021. There is nothing the other companies or players can do until November. As mentioned earlier, I wonder what Ricki is thinking right now or Innova for that matter? Will they feel pressured to up their contact(s) to show that they can play the game too?

Until the field proves it can beat Paul consistently (and as of now they still can't) I'm not sure any one player has the leverage to get even half of what McBeth is getting.

I expect that Discraft wants to keep McBeth's name on x number of molds for y number of years into the future. This must be the price to do that.
McBeth's tournament performances might be irrelevant to this contract.

Disregarding his age, his ankle injuries etc I feel like 10 years is a pretty safe amount of time. I've gotta think Paul has 13x in the back of his mind, and I doubt he gets there with 8 straight victories. So that gives him 2 additional years for someone else to win worlds. Whether or not that's feasible is an entirely different matter, if anything, the announcement of that big of a contract just puts an even bigger target on his back.

I expect that Discraft wants to keep McBeth's name on x number of molds for y number of years into the future. This must be the price to do that.
McBeth's tournament performances might be irrelevant to this contract.

IMO this has a lot to do with it. They saw how long Climo's name drew interest for Innova and wanted to grab the next Goat for themself.

Couple thoughts...

For those saying what about Ricky and Innova? Innova had the chance to throw big money at Paul and didn't. We'll never know if it was about money itself, unwilling to partner with his own product line, or what...but the reality is Discraft provided something they wouldn't so he left. So far it's appeared to be hugely beneficial for Paul and DC, and they're taking further steps to continue that momentum.

If Innova wouldn't make those type of concessions for Paul who in their right mind thinks they'd do something similar for Ricky? I'm sorry, Ricky has game, but think of it this way...sponsored players are essentially an investment...you put money in with the hopes of getting more back in return. From that perspective Paul and Ricky are light years apart. Not saying Ricky doesn't move plastic, but there's no way you can justify he's worth McBeth money.

Michael Jordan made more from his own label than he ever did playing basketball, and the brand is still relevant and making plenty of money decades after he retired. Paul is a smart dude...that's what he's going for...

Everybody else is busy fighting for scraps and social media followers.

Even if he isn't still playing in 10 years, he will be a highly visible active representative of the sport in 2031. He's a business man. I'm sure he already has plans in motion for his brand beyond his playing years. He's building a course, right? Imagine a Paul McBeth Open disc drop in the same way they do ledgestone drops. There should be no worries. His name is goin move plastic for a long time

This is great news and quite a game changer for the sport for sure. As a new player, when choosing my first batch of discs back in September, I will admit that I bought primarily Discraft discs because of the various attention grabbing stamps and I recognised Paul MacBeth's name from all of the Youtube videos I'd been watching. There are tons of new players just like me, waiting in the wings. He's the top visible pro and new players will want to emulate him by using his discs, as well as Pierce, Brodie and Ulibarri, to name a few. Now that I've gotten into the sport a bit deeper, it seems that Discraft discs are the ones I look at the least. The only one I bag now is my ESP Buzzz, with the rest sitting on a shelf, but Discraft did a great job of grabbing quite a bit of my initial money. Where the real fun will be had, is watching all of the other recognisable pros start wanting a bigger piece of the pie and making necessary team moves in order to acquire it.

BTW, what's the deal with people calling him Pablo, is that his real name or is it just a nickname?

Some people may not realize or know this by the "Pablo" is a positive thing, an homage to his Mexican-American heritage.

I think every single person named Paul that I've encountered in my life had a nickname of Pablo, regardless of their heritage.

Paul is the Tiger Woods of our sport. His brand will be valuable long after he ceases to be competitive.

Let's hope Paul doesn't do what Tiger did Tuesday morning.
I'm pretty sure a McLaren Spider doesn't have the protection of a Genesis GV80.

As opposed to the 4-door Mustang? :confused:

He could probably afford one now! :popcorn:

Ford-Mustang-four-door-Jan-4-1963.jpg

Latest posts