• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth

NoseDownKing

Eagle Member
Does this prove that the rear foot does an active motion in the throw? With the rear foot being so extended it must be right?
e4ff82ac5e5ffe6babb67b0910d59cf7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

What was the result of the throw? Did the disc do what Paul intended? Does he lift his rear foot often?

In other words, we don't have enough information to judge from this picture alone.

The rear leg is just countering the weight of the swing at this point. The only part the rear leg is really "active" is pushing your weight into the plant. If your leg/foot is not in contact with the ground, there's no way it can add anything to the shot except keep you balanced.

The rear leg is just countering the weight of the swing at this point. The only part the rear leg is really "active" is pushing your weight into the plant. If your leg/foot is not in contact with the ground, there's no way it can add anything to the shot except keep you balanced.
I ment like if the rear foot is extended as shown, Paul must have extended his rear foot off the ground to make it happen.

like he said

The only part the rear leg is really "active" is pushing your weight into the plant.

so if you want to be technical the rear leg is an integral part of the walk/run up (duh) and the plant but not the throw (except as balance, of course)

more importantly, does it matter?

I ment like if the rear foot is extended as shown, Paul must have extended his rear foot off the ground to make it happen.

IMO this is way too late in the sequence to show what you are asking.

This position can be created by forcing the back foot out, probably a bit later than he is in the swing, but without a proper weight shift, which comes off of the rear foot.

I think the part that really shows the rear leg is active is the point where the pros are all in full reach back and the rear foot is just de-weighting the knees are in close together. Where so so so many of us are in the immovable horsestance as SW puts it. There is no way to really mimic getting that knee under the body and properly shift weight onto the front foot without and active push from the rear foot. THAT is the point of the sequence I think proves the rear foot is active not just passive.

IMO this is way too late in the sequence to show what you are asking.

This position can be created by forcing the back foot out, probably a bit later than he is in the swing, but without a proper weight shift, which comes off of the rear foot.

I think the part that really shows the rear leg is active is the point where the pros are all in full reach back and the rear foot is just de-weighting the knees are in close together. Where so so so many of us are in the immovable horsestance as SW puts it. There is no way to really mimic getting that knee under the body and properly shift weight onto the front foot without and active push from the rear foot. THAT is the point of the sequence I think proves the rear foot is active not just passive.
And the part that most people get wrong is when they push, they extend the leg instead of the foot?

i'm glad someone knew what you meant because clearly i didn't

great advice, that's pretty cool

Exactly. That's just counter-balance. This likely means he's making a big power throw. You counter-balance on those, just like you extend the back foot out to counter-balance on a putt.

Exactly why I use the rear foot on the ground, otherwise I end up spinning into the ground on the longest throws as yes I do use that much speed or power in my legs in my longest throws. It has nothing to do with how I balance as that for me is okay to good just the motion dose that and I have pain in the leg/hip after I finish a round with the single leg throw.

I borrow this thread to ask a question regarding the Goat's form. Here is a video of him throwing a slight hyzer. What I see is that he strides way more than 20 degrees off the target line and to avoid rounding, he sort of pushes the disc out in his backswing. Is this really how he normally strides? 45 or more degrees off the target line with a swing outside of posture?

Last edited:
Yes. Famously a wide rail thrower

Not always right? Think there is a pic of him in Fundamentals where he throws inside posture but that might from a few years back. Does wide rail automatically come with a stride more off target line?

Not always right? Think there is a pic of him in Fundamentals where he throws inside posture but that might from a few years back. Does wide rail automatically come with a stride more off target line?
In general think of "Inside" posture as what happens when the disc moves back and forward in the backswing and swing. Paul still generally "traps" the disc with his chest and swings inside his posture. Can achieve it with different kinds & degrees of out-in-out backswing-to-swing patterns. Paul has changed a lot about his swing over time and modifies parts of his form for various different shots.

In general think of "Inside" posture as what happens when the disc moves back and forward in the backswing and swing. Paul still generally "traps" the disc with his chest and swings inside his posture. Can achieve it with different kinds & degrees of out-in-out backswing-to-swing patterns. Paul has changed a lot about his swing over time and modifies parts of his form for various different shots.
I understand what you mean and that is also how you explain it in text in Fundamentals. However, his disc and arm would be to the left of the yellow vertical line in the picture referring to that topic which confused me a bit.

Anyway, any comments about the stride angle?

I understand what you mean and that is also how you explain it in text in Fundamentals. However, his disc and arm would be to the left of the yellow vertical line in the picture referring to that topic which confused me a bit.

Anyway, any comments about the stride angle?
Yes, totally an option. To intregrate the two think of how upper and lower body related to each other to maintain balance.

I think most of the lines in that Inside Swing section are taking the literal wall from SW's Inside Swing concept. SW usually emphasizes the straighter reachback in drills so the abstract wall & yellow lines are a little easier to grasp in that case.

But if you get extreme out-in-out like Paul the first "out" will appear through the wall at that angle like you are saying, Hampejo.

From there I would be watching his backswing in relation to his chest and where the shoulder and elbow are leading relative to the plant leg there. In "Inside Swing," the shoulder should stay relatively along the wall as it clears over the front knee. The elbow should come back through the wall as he enters the pocket as does a straighter or more behind the body backswing. The net result is an action that brings it all inside his posture to commit the shot.

I usually think of the stride angle as related to that action because if he doesn't do both that stride pattern and the wide rail together, I don't know that he can land in balance (you need the lower body to be countering the action of the upper body in general to do so).

Or that has been how I have tended to think about it.

Couple interesting things to point out about this in general and specific to your clip above.

Shoulder supposedly comes along the wall in Inside Swing. Each line is "the wall" corrected for his balance axis. Interestingly in this case in the wide rail Hampejo shared above it looks like his shoulder comes "off the wall" earlier than most of his shots I've seen (marked yellow in center). Not sure if that's intentional of course. The pink shirt angle is just chosen for a different view; you can test the idea in other videos.1692660944898.png

Elbow goes through the wall entering the pocket in each case.
1692660464002.png

Left image is straighter reachback.

Right images are wider rail, the one with pink shirt was from a little while back.

Attachments

• 1692660911307.png
    1692660911307.png
    832.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1692660922197.png
    1692660922197.png
    433 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: