• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pay to play disc golf

Just a thought;
I feel ptp may lead to many players feeling that they don't have to volunteer. I feel this may carry over to event volunteering.

nono, volunteering to work an event for the st. louis club under our current president will discourage people from volunteering

I was one of the, if not the most active volunteer in our club until the leadership changed.

(hence my sig, which will hopefully go away with the club officer elections in october)

/end threadjack

I just reopened this thread because I am seeing a lot of new pay to play courses opening up, wether it be by municipality or private entity. I think i is good for the sport where I think others feel it will eventually fade away.

i believe it will be good, if not very good for the sport I know the big draw for dg is thats its free and other hobbys are not i.e. golf. But what i think dg needs is very nice respectible courses that rules are enforced and more of a structure becomes of it and for others to see it as an acceptable hobby sport and not some hippies playing in a park, no offence to anybody on that last line just what i believe the general public thinks. That is where inevitibly the sport will grow is people who are interested in this sport seeing that it can be seen as an acceptable hobby with rules and nice courses

I think it's a good thing. The pay to play course we have around here is very well maintained, they've added 9 new holes to it, and the county is building another course that you can go to using the same annual pass. A day pass is very expensive ($8) for a day of golf (though still worth it really if you're just passing through) but the annual pass is cheap at $45. I can't understand what the problem is with paying $45 for 35 well maintained holes of disc golf, especially when the county is demonstrating that they are using the money to build more courses, etc.

The city's been talking a while now about making the two courses within its vicinity pay to play too. We'll see if it ever happens but I hope it does. These courses are great, but they're in need of more maintenance than volunteers can provide. They're old and showing visible signs of wear and tear. I'd like to see them better taken care of. Also, it would be great if there was a ranger around preventing people from breaking bottles on the goddamned tees. Frankly, I don't want the db that would do that on the course: if a little fee would keep that kind of "disc golfer" away, then that's a good thing.

I've played a lot of pay to plays. Always felt like I received value for my dollar. Sometimes it's enough just to not have 8 somes on every hole.

Recently I purchased a $20 season pass to a new ptp here in des moines simply to have a place to practice without recs all up in my business.

If the course is well maintained and has at least some amenities such as portopotties/bathrooms, snacks for sale, maybe a pro shop, then yes absolutely. Also if it's on private land then of course. A public park where the course was added to an existing park, no it should be free.

Bring em on love ptp keeping the rifraf out and all. I do agree on some level about the volunteering. I would definitely be more prone to volunteer at a public course than a private one, just based on the fact that the public courses around here are way more trashed than the ptp here.

I did pay once here

I would not say that the actual DG course was the best I had been to, but I had never been into a DG pro shop and I thought it was the coolest thing seeing the hundreds of discs all there. It also is not like that the courses charge you $30-$50 like you see on a ball golf course, I bought a few news discs and paid an extra $3 so I could play a round. It was nice and I would definitely do it again.

I like pay to play but I hold them to a higher standard. You better have a good course if you want me to pay for it.

ptp is the only way to play disc here in Maine. It's a very rural state so there is not a whole lot of public land to be used for courses. Luckily there are some tremendous people here that have used their own land and built great courses and charge us a small fee to play there. The highest concentration of courses is near the state capitol in Augusta where roughly 20 courses can be found within 15-20 miles and all are privately owned. I don't flinch having to pay $5 to know that I am going to play disc golf and the only other's around will be there to only play disc golf.

michigan pay to play

I just got back from Michigan (I am from NY) and I played some really nice pay to play disc golf courses including Flip City. They charge a whopping 1 dollar to play those courses. I dont know how they generate revenue for upkeeping the courses but they were all in good shape

I'd love for there to be a private course around here. I'd happily pay to play a course that would be better kept and also free of most of the punks that do nothing but vandalize the couse.

ptp is the only way to play disc here in Maine. It's a very rural state so there is not a whole lot of public land to be used for courses. Luckily there are some tremendous people here that have used their own land and built great courses and charge us a small fee to play there. The highest concentration of courses is near the state capitol in Augusta where roughly 20 courses can be found within 15-20 miles and all are privately owned. I don't flinch having to pay $5 to know that I am going to play disc golf and the only other's around will be there to only play disc golf.

Hearing that Makes me wanna move out there. So sick of the growing amount of idiots that are starting to play at my local courses.

Seeing a smashed glass beer bottle on the tee pad at leagues last wed, then yesterday some Chuckers stole 2 discs from people at our leagues. And the constant littering especially when there is a garbage at almost every other hole??? :wall:

I'm just waiting for some pay 2 plays around here.

Greenfield Lakes in Gilbert AZ is a new p2p on a ball golf course, it's freakin awesome $5 to play walk or on a golf cart. It doesn't get any better than that. Some holes r close to the water but they have a scuba diver that comes to fetch the balls and discs

Lake's Edge DGC is in Lake Reidsville Park (I am guessing it's a state park, from the brown signs directing you there). Great course, well-maintained, $2 entry fee PER CAR to enter the park. Nice general store/pro shop with a nice selection of discs, drinks and snacks, and other park info. Always worth a couple of bucks to play.

If I ever get a parcel of land on which I could build my own course, I should hope people would be willing to contribute a little to the time and effort I put into making it the best DG experience possible.

In contrast, my home course, Ballou Park DGC #2, is a very nice free course in a well-used public park. And by well-used, I mean a large variety of people using tennis courts, picnic shelters, trails, etc., and generating the litter, bottles, etc., that come with groups of people that don't really care about the facility. But it's their park too. There hasn't been much course vandalism, which is a good thing. I think most people just look at the baskets funny and wonder what they're for. Waiting for wandering kids to clear the fairways is marginally annoying.

Latest posts