• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pay to Play? Is it Okay?

I have never had to book a tee time. But I would gladly shell out a fin for an all day pass at blue ribbon pines. Well worth it imo. If you don't like it stick to your free park courses

Played Phantom Falls finally. Paulie asks for 10 bucks, but the whole course stands as evidence of where the money goes. Not just the money, but the amount of labor put into the property is amazing. Every tee area is a hangout spot, there are cool benches and bag hooks all over, stairs and paths everywhere. Crazy labor of love.

I feel as the $10 is a petty amount for the 38 hole experience you get.

I'm currently working on a course on my parent's property that will be pay to play. I'm half considering a sign along the lines of

"Always check in before playing as course is sometimes used for skeet shooting."

I figure that would help deter people from trying to get in a round without playing.

Gran Canyon (RIP) had a sign to the effect of, "If you haven't paid and signed waiver, YOU'RE TRESPASSING!"

I personally don't mind paying to play. When a course is moderately maintained, the experience is enhanced.
Having said that, I have also played a highly rated PTP course recently and did not see next tee signs posted after the layout was changed. Kinda frustrating when you aren't sure where the next tee is, and, there are no tee signs!

I think both p2p and f2p have their place and just because private and p2p are becoming more common shouldnt worry casual golfers or pureists or whatever you wanna call yourselves. Its going to be a niche aspect of an already niche activity and is in no danger of turning your free courses into pay courses (mostly). But arguing that making this an option for other golfers is going to ruin the game as you see it is just dumb. This isnt like debating replay in baseball, the existance of the 3 point line or defensless receiver rules, its just another option in a game full of options. It really is as simple as if you dont like it, dont do it.

If you're not paying to play in some form, you should be. I'm talking about paying in the form of paying dues to join the local club, paying by donating your time to work parties, buying club fund-raiser discs, etc.
Around here, if folks didn't pay in these forms we would probably only have one local course instead of the four that have been funded through the club.(I'm not counting the 2 privately-funded courses). Through some generous donations and ALOT of club fund-raising, we have a pretty good disc golf scene.

I have yet to play on a p2p course but Mr. Sauls I plan on visiting your farm this spring/summer and I will gladly pay. I'm not too far from fly boy either.

I don't see a problem with paying for private courses. Greens fees even at public ball golf courses can be as high as $50 around here. Private clubs you have to be with a member (who pay exorbitant club fees) and then you are looking at at least $50 for greens fees. and let's not forget cart rental fees. then you have the good chance of getting behind a foursome of pensioners that haven't anything better to do.

What are most p2p courses charging? $5? $10? that's a steal! Now that I think of it I wouldn't mind seeing more p2p courses. Clubs formed around private courses could also bring extra money to the proprietor. Some enterprising course owners could also open up some nice pro-shops on their property too. just a thought.

first p2p courses I played were lake russell 4/5, sandy creek 4/5 and the idgc 4.5/5 it was all worth it, do your hw and you won't be disappointed

first p2p courses I played were lake russell 4/5, sandy creek 4/5 and the idgc 4.5/5 it was all worth it, do your hw and you won't be disappointed

Have you played NGCT yet?

It is a pay to lay PAR 61 course that has multiple pin locations on 8 holes and the only Chicken Shack hole in the world.:D

It is well worth your $5 to play. You can check out the reviews on here and maybe come check it out for 3rd Sunday Monthly doubles sometime.

Keith

Have you played NGCT yet?

It is a pay to lay PAR 61 course that has multiple pin locations on 8 holes and the only Chicken Shack hole in the world.:D

It is well worth your $5 to play. You can check out the reviews on here and maybe come check it out for 3rd Sunday Monthly doubles sometime.

Keith

Where is that? I don't live in Georgia, it just happens to be where I played all my p2p.

I've paid 5 times or so and it's been worth it most every time. Three were at ball golf course so the grounds were the best I have played on. In flat Florida that's a big plus and there is the option for renting carts for cheep as well. When it's cranking hot out in the summer, the carts give you wind to cool off and shade to hide in between shots.

If the reviews are decent I'll never think twice about paying. After playing, if I think the $$ was worth it, then I'll go back!

I have played some great pay to play courses, (Token Creek for one) at the same time I have played a lot of free courses. One of the big draws to the sport is that it is free to play. I think its a good use of tax dollars (perhaps a little bais). It gives people something to do to stay out of trouble with out costing them.

I don't mind pay to play for a nice course. It's best if there is an annual fee so that those of us who go all the time don't have to shell out every time. $20-30 for a whole year is a great deal.

I've played on 3 pay to play courses here in Lansing,MI and I was fine with it.. they were well maintained. Beautiful scenery to walk through. Hell I noticed I didn't litter at all while on these courses. 5 bucks to enjoy nature. Then I've played free courses that were cool to play not much to look at since it was covered in litter and beer cans. I mean you gett what you pay for. And if you're not paying you're not getting much.

here in MI you can get the liscense plate that allows free entry to state parks for the year which will get you into sleep hollow to play free for the year. Good investment in my book.

Latest posts