• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PD vs Surge

Nick C

Birdie Member
I'm looking for some comments on how these are similar and different. I've always had a surge in my bag either in ESP and Elite-Z. They work really well for me but I've seen a lot of these PD's and wanted to know how the 2 compare. I'm sure there are a lot of comparisons because of the different plastics but any comments would be appreciated

PD probably has a smaller rim but I think they are rated at the same speed (10) but the PD should probably be a 9

the PD is available in a wider range of plastics in all weight ranges
the PD is more HSS (call it a 0 whereas a Surge might be -1)
the Surge is similar to a Wraith
the PD is "a faster Teebird"

the different plastics of the PD allow you to cover a broader range of shots with one mold
the C-PD is almost Firebird stable
the P-PD can beat up for longer straighter and turnovers
the S-PD errr (loss of words)

my C and P PD were flat as hell, my 2 S's are sexy. It varies though, ive heard of flat star and domey P. The Star ones i have arent like pro boss domey, they are nicely domed and look great. I got a crappy P that was a flipper out of the box and flat as hell. I hear good things about the P from people who have lower arm speed. Would perhaps be a good compliment to a Pro wraith, PWr/SPD combo

* Innova west... so far west we could call it east, FYP Jbolt

I disagree.

Surge available in:
Pro-D
Elite-X
Elite-Z
ESP
FLX

PD available in:
P-Line
S-Line
C-Line (limited runs)

As far as OP is concerned, PD = slower and more high speed stable than Surge.

I disagree.

Surge available in:
Pro-D
Elite-X
Elite-Z
ESP
FLX

PD available in:
P-Line
S-Line
C-Line (limited runs)

and then there are Surge SS's in multiple plastics as well as SuperColor Surges, proto surges and flat top surges.

The PD's stability varies greatly across the plastics. Champion PDs are very similar to Preds/Firebirds. The best way to describe the S-Line PDs is as a faster Eagle-X. I've always thought they fly the way an Orc is supposed to fly. The P-PDs vary greatly. I've had a 165g that was very stable (Teebird-esque) and a 172g that is very understable (more so than any Sidewinder I've thrown). Recently people have stated they've had P-PDs more stable than S-Lines.

So from what I'm hearing the Surge will take more of an S-Line with fade at the end where the S-PD will hold a straighter line with some fade at the end?

The PD's stability varies greatly across the plastics. Champion PDs are very similar to Preds/Firebirds. The best way to describe the S-Line PDs is as a faster Eagle-X. I've always thought they fly the way an Orc is supposed to fly. The P-PDs vary greatly. I've had a 165g that was very stable (Teebird-esque) and a 172g that is very understable (more so than any Sidewinder I've thrown). Recently people have stated they've had P-PDs more stable than S-Lines.

From throwing yours I think they throw a lot like avengers actually. The one took the exact line my semi beat X Avengers use. And your "champ" one flies like my Z Avenger. That thing did bomb though :D

I think Avengers are to PD's as Sabres are to Teebirds. Takes a little more power on the Avengers.

These two discs are having a fist fight in my bag right now because my P-PD (fairly beaten in) flies much like my esp surge... the surge seems to get a little more D but the PD throws effortlessly... and is noticeably longer than my TB (probably more to do with my arm) but not as far as my surge... I feel more comfortable with the PD in a headwind too... so basically according to Joe's they fly similarly but the surge is a touch faster and has a wider rim...

I just picked up a 150 P-PD on a whim (I already had a 166). It is very very interesting - it will flip right out of the box with just a touch of anny or hold a gentle hyzer line with a flat release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU

"I disagree.

Surge available in:
Pro-D
Elite-X
Elite-Z
ESP
FLX

PD available in:
P-Line
S-Line
C-Line (limited runs)"

what I said was that the PD was available in a wider range of plastics across weights

if I want an Elite X Surge I can't get it in anything OTHER THAN 150 class

I forgot that Discraft also ran a bunch of shat Pro D and FLX versions

I just picked up a 150 P-PD on a whim (I already had a 166). It is very very interesting - it will flip right out of the box with just a touch of anny or hold a gentle hyzer line with a flat release.

I nominate this for most confusing post of the day.