• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Asks Golfers to not play courses...

If people are that strapped for cash, they most likely aren't paying the PDGA for a membership to then go pay more money to play tournaments.

If they are tight on cash and they choose to spend money on non essential things anyway, that's a risk they take and they are liable for it.

idk i can see it being one of the few luxuries that dg community people spend their moneys on

im willing to be wrong im just going off the samples of dg communities ive seen

just curious what is your annual personal income

what about net income for entire household

im not expecting you to disclose that information but point being dg players arent exactly known for their wealth you seem to be better off than most on here and that may impact your stance on this issue

for some people the $50 is like $5000 to them

Perhaps. I think we all have the same responsibility to how we spend our discretionary income and budget our entertainment dollars.

Perhaps. I think we all have the same responsibility to how we spend our discretionary income and budget our entertainment dollars.

agreed

roi isnt guaranteed

parks pass or pdga membership or even an rei membership

its all a gamble and any of them could close their doors/gates at any time

whether its 50 or 5000

idk i can see it being one of the few luxuries that dg community people spend their moneys on

im willing to be wrong im just going off the samples of dg communities ive seen
You make a valid point in that there's a big difference in how we feel costs relative to income.
The same cost will have a very different impact on people earning $25K; $50K; $75K...
For the most part, the lower your household income, the less discretionary spending you can absorb.

Regardless of income, we all need some sort of outlet(s). I was pretty strapped for cash when my income was slashed back in 2008-09, and still had to pay child support for two kids.

I still played disc golf, but I sure as hell wasn't pissing away money on PDGA memberships and tourney fees. I tried to be more responsible with my money.

That said, how much of a refund could anyone possibly hope to get from the PDGA? $30? I doubt anyone reading this would realistically even feel the impact from a one-time $30 rebate.

If $30 is that significant in your life (and I'm well aware that it is for some families) that person should be spending $50 for membership, or entering tournaments for $30+ a pop for tournament. Those are your poor decisions. No one else should be expected to reimburse you for them.

just curious what is your annual personal income

what about net income for entire household

im not expecting you to disclose that information but point being dg players arent exactly known for their wealth you seem to be better off than most on here and that may impact your stance on this issue

for some people the $50 is like $5000 to them

Thinking about this a bit more, it makes me wonder what the average income/household income of a PDGA member is. I would be willing to say it is higher than you might think. The average income/household income of the average disc golfer......perhaps more along the lines of the thinking above.

Assuming the disc golf world is back operating, why would there be any difference in renewal/registering in, say, August, for the last 5 months of the year, this year, as opposed to any other year?

Drat. You caught the self-interest in the plan. Nope, no difference. I typically like leaving my $50 in my bank account until the last moment possible.

But maybe the PDGA should seize the opportunity, say give a "COVID-special" to tempt me and the 20 other people that are waiting to register for the year?

Thinking about this a bit more, it makes me wonder what the average income/household income of a PDGA member is. I would be willing to say it is higher than you might think. The average income/household income of the average disc golfer......perhaps more along the lines of the thinking above.
Per 2018 PDGA survey...

< 20000 = 6%
< 35000 = 12%
< 50000 = 14%
< 75000 = 21 %
< 100000 = 16%
< 150000 = 16%
< 200000 = 5%
> 200000 = 3%

I wonder what percentage of these numbers were full time touring pros with the only income coming from disc golf.

A tiny one....only because there aren't that many full time touring pros, but 18% of the membership is still a good number of people.

I think your question might be rephrased as, I wonder what percentage of full time touring pros are in these two income brackets?

A tiny one....only because there aren't that many full time touring pros, but 18% of the membership is still a good number of people.

I think your question might be rephrased as, I wonder what percentage of full time touring pros are in these two income brackets?

After thinking about it I don't think we can find the answer to what I'm trying to get at.

18% of membership is really 18% of people who took the survey. That might be only 10,000 members who took it. Say it was 10,000, how many were touring pros, how many were Advance, etc.?

Impossible to tell with only the information posted.

FWIW - during my last two rounds during the state's Stay At Home order, I noticed more families on the course than I normal. Also saw several groups of young "adults" not even attempting safe distancing. :(

. . . Also saw several groups of young "adults" not even attempting safe distancing. :(

^ This, more than anything else, is what is keeping me off the course. I can still toss putters around the yard, practice putting, and take the dogs out for exercise.

Most of the epidemiology I am reading says that the next 2-4 weeks will be critical in terms of keeping the number of cases within shouting distance of hospital capacity. Seems like a small sacrifice for me to back off on disc golf for a bit to help achieve that goal.

I wonder how many have had this, didn't know it, and are now immune, even though some Wuhanians are testing positive after they had it/beat it and tested negative.
Now requesting anti-bodies blood test for all.

^ This, more than anything else, is what is keeping me off the course. I can still toss putters around the yard, practice putting, and take the dogs out for exercise.

Most of the epidemiology I am reading says that the next 2-4 weeks will be critical in terms of keeping the number of cases within shouting distance of hospital capacity. Seems like a small sacrifice for me to back off on disc golf for a bit to help achieve that goal.

This is where I am at. I'm kind of bitter about it, as well. Sadly, I could go out and stay away from everyone, but no longer willing to risk the stupidity of others.