• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Doping Control?

It has its moment. When people aren't whining about who's playing/not playing on the live card and various other things, it can be quite entertaining. Its gotten harder and harder for those times to come around though. there are just soo many more people in the chat recently...

The pros could easily get a therapeutic use exemption to beat this. Plus it would be difficult to enforce the athlete whereabouts statutes because a lot of pros live in a van. I have no idea how the PDGA would set up a proper anti-doping system because it would be super expensive.

The pros could easily get a therapeutic use exemption to beat this. Plus it would be difficult to enforce the athlete whereabouts statutes because a lot of pros live in a van. I have no idea how the PDGA would set up a proper anti-doping system because it would be super expensive.

Expense is the biggest hindrance to this happening any time soon. Nick Diaz, a mma fighter, was once suspended for marijuana because of its "performance enhancing properties". Now I know smoking is not allowed during tournament play, but what kind of backlash would there be is weed was a tested for and punishable substance?

I agree they are a joke, however they are giant governing bodies and it is a step toward being considered a real sport vs silly fringe sport to have IOC recognition even if there is no hope or desire to be an Olympic sport. In many countries being recognized by their own Olympic Committee means funding and money for many amateur events as well as insurance and general legitimacy as a sport.

One of the criteria for IOC acknowledgment is having some kind of Anti-doping policy. There are many small sports where this is the case the actual testing is very very very limited due to the money it costs.

I'm sure some people want to see disc golf in the olympics. Some of those people are not me.

Can someone who knows what they're talking about chine in on what kind of advantage can be gained in our sport by various PEDs?

^Adderall is probably on tour frequently I would think...

This.

I suspect this initiative came about from the just completed PDGA Europe Board meeting considering Elaine was there and is seeking volunteers for this new committee. It's been needed for awhile now, separate from any new international initiative. Back in the early 2000s there were several years where PDGA Admin and Worlds TDs were discussing policy for when the heat index should stop or cancel play for a round or day. It would depend on the age range of competitors with juniors being the most vulnerable. No policy was ever formulated to my knowledge. With Junior Worlds in Emporia for a few years, it would seem like a good time for this new committee to address these guidelines.

There are many banned substances that are easily obtainable which could help performance in DG, such as SARMs, certain peptides (like BPC 157), and the easiest--testosterone.

I HIGHLY doubt most top DGers have any idea what any of these things are. (Actually, most look hypogonadic and could use some testosterone replacement...)

Also, if adderall is used that much, caffeine + l-theanine (in a 1:2 ratio) is proven to be more effective in treatment of adhd...and no addiction!

Also, if adderall is used that much, caffeine + l-theanine (in a 1:2 ratio) is proven to be more effective in treatment of adhd...and no addiction!

But muh legal meth.

Joe Rogan, Eddie Bravo, and USADA are going to take over disc golf (I know the former two have ZERO to do with the latter).

There are many banned substances that are easily obtainable which could help performance in DG, such as SARMs, certain peptides (like BPC 157), and the easiest--testosterone.

I HIGHLY doubt most top DGers have any idea what any of these things are. (Actually, most look hypogonadic and could use some testosterone replacement...)

I highly doubt anyone rated over 1030 has hypogonadism. Most of the top rated players are < 35 years old athletes and hypogonadism isn't that common among that group (although it is among the general non professional athletic population).

I suspect amphetamine usage is common.

I highly doubt anyone rated over 1030 has hypogonadism. Most of the top rated players are < 35 years old athletes and hypogonadism isn't that common among that group (although it is among the general non professional athletic population).

I suspect amphetamine usage is common.

Um, Eagle? He's very thin (not much muscle development), seemingly (assumed from what he looks like and what one can see on camera) low amounts of darkened body and facial hair. Three common traits of HGism.

As well, it's relative. Compared to my generation, Eagle would certainly be considered HG. (I'm one ahead of him.) As well, I would be relative to my grandparents, and so on. I would not say the same about McBeth or most others. However, the toll of xenoestrogens and the resulting estrogen dominance is quite obvious in millenial men.

Last edited:
Would it be plausible that since elite athletes who are tested frequently gain such an intimate knowledge of the testing regimes that they and their trainers are able to develop doping routines that would escape detection?

I believe professional athletes should be allowed to use PEDs, provided they are transparent about their use and the option to play 'clean' still remains an option ('clean-only contests').

I have also heard rumors for years that some professional golfers use beta blockers (or equivalents) to 'moderate their arousal levels'...

Um, Eagle? He's very thin (not much muscle development), seemingly (assumed from what he looks like and what one can see on camera) low amounts of darkened body and facial hair. Three common traits of HGism.

As well, it's relative. Compared to my generation, Eagle would certainly be considered HG. (I'm one ahead of him.) As well, I would be relative to my grandparents, and so on. I would not say the same about McBeth or most others. However, the toll of xenoestrogens and the resulting estrogen dominance is quite obvious in millenial men.

I have seen mcbeth wearing the skinny pants...

Why would anyone want to volunteer when they can get paid doing it for other sports part time? PDGA needs to offer some incentive....

Edit - read the whole PDGA statement and I see the piece about well-being. No dispute there. That's an effort worth going after!

But for the doping part..

PDGA detects high levels of caffeine - "I didn't know my 5 cups of coffee were so strong"

It's so easy to get a perscription for Adderal or ADHD meds. Pros who use these drugs will just got a doctors exemption... nothing new. I'm pretty sure you can get diagnosed and a prescription online these days.

If the NCAA can't police ADHD meds or caffeine at events, the PDGA won't even come close.

The PDGA is better off focusing on gathering additional funding for other initiatives they have in flight or cleaning up their rule book to reduce the amount of "grey".