• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Doping Control?

Science says otherwise.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2562334/

A Molecular Link Between the Active Component of Marijuana and Alzheimer's Disease Pathology

"Compared to currently approved drugs prescribed for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, THC is a considerably superior inhibitor of Aβ aggregation"

What does this mean? It means that THC actively inhibits the enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE). When this enzyme is inhibited, the levels of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine are increased.

Acetylcholine is an excitatory human neurotransmitter that is involved in hand eye coordination and focus. Boost acetylcholine = boost performance.

There is a reason why so many athletes use it, half the NBA players, musicians, artists, etc. Why would so many spark up (or better yet eat it) before playing? Exactly.

I guess everyone is different. It honestly does nothing for me, and I've seen guys fall apart after lighting up. Give me a cup of coffee and it has the same effect.

The notion that we should police people taking substances in the name of "fairness" is rather asinine, as it comes from the incorrect assumption that every athlete starts at the same baseline level. It also incorrectly assumes that the most athletic person wins, which is so far from true in any discipline of Golf.

David beats Goliath way more often than the tales suggest. It's a case of perception vs. reality.

The notion that we should police people taking substances in the name of "fairness" is rather asinine, as it comes from the incorrect assumption that every athlete starts at the same baseline level. It also incorrectly assumes that the most athletic person wins, which is so far from true in any discipline of Golf.

David beats Goliath way more often than the tales suggest. It's a case of perception vs. reality.

Aha! I can see I am going to enjoy playing devils advocate to your opinions sometimes, lol.

In the current state of the sport, you are right it makes no sense police substance use in the name of fairness. But if the sport is ever going to be taken seriously by anyone who doesnt play the game, and if it is going to ever escape the public perception that it is just a bunch of drugged up hippies throwing frisbees in the park, I think a more cogent and cohesive policy is needed to get to the next level.

And this may not be popular, but if someone needs substances to perform their best than maybe it is time to train harder. There is a very real advantage to taking some substances. I was prescribed Ritalin in college, and used to play alot of softball. I was able to make ridiculous plays at 3rd base when i was on that crap. And when I stopped taking it, I was no longer able to make those plays.

In full disclosure, I drink coffee before i play and it helps relax me and i play better. But anyone can stop at the corner store and pick up a coffee. no special prescription, and no special connections are needed.

if it is going to ever escape the public perception that it is just a bunch of drugged up hippies throwing frisbees in the park,
Its gonna be hard for that perception to change considering a lot(if not a majority) of competitive players around here, are a bunch of drugged up hippies throwing frisbees in a park...:|

Also, I don't think that's a bad thing either... I would rather we be thought of as that, instead of a bunch of drunks who leave there bud light cans all over the damn place...

Science says otherwise.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2562334/

A Molecular Link Between the Active Component of Marijuana and Alzheimer's Disease Pathology

"Compared to currently approved drugs prescribed for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, THC is a considerably superior inhibitor of Aβ aggregation"

What does this mean? It means that THC actively inhibits the enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE). When this enzyme is inhibited, the levels of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine are increased.

Acetylcholine is an excitatory human neurotransmitter that is involved in hand eye coordination and focus. Boost acetylcholine = boost performance.

There is a reason why so many athletes use it, half the NBA players, musicians, artists, etc. Why would so many spark up (or better yet eat it) before playing? Exactly.

I think you are confused.. That study does not conclude that thc will boost performance of an athlete. Pretty sure that it has been shown many times that marijuana intake does not boost performance. Here is a study that shows a decrease in pilots ability to fly after using marijuana.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1267035

Cannabis and Sport :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2657492/

The question often asked in the case of a positive result for cannabis is whether it was consciously used for doping purposes. The answer is that this substance can only indirectly improve performance—it can have a euphoric effect, reducing anxiety and increasing the sociability of a player who may be particularly nervous before an important match

Part (not all, but part) of the issue is the long term health effects of these substances. Remember Lyle Alzado, et. al.

Why the PDGA is all of a sudden looking to hire people in this arena is the more interesting question to me...

Why the PDGA is all of a sudden looking to hire people in this arena is the more interesting question to me...

A quibble, but they're not looking to hire someone. They're seeking volunteers.

Amen...

Its gonna be hard for that perception to change considering a lot(if not a majority) of competitive players around here, are a bunch of drugged up hippies throwing frisbees in a park...:|

Also, I don't think that's a bad thing either... I would rather we be thought of as that, instead of a bunch of drunks who leave there bud light cans all over the damn place...

I know 1st hand the harm that alcohol does to people. It is one of the world's most popular

"Legal" drugs, and has been so for probably centuries! Many people benefit medically from

cannabis as well, I know this 1st hand also. People will possibly always have a negative

stereotype of cannabis consumers, so be it. Ignorance is bliss. Cigarettes and alcohol do

incredible amounts of harm to people and the land they grow on. Moderation is key in all

walks of life. Treat others how you wish to be treated. Let people live their own lives. If they

are not harming nature, people, animals or children, let them be...<3

Yea Bro

Last edited:
I used to wrestle in college and its not the roids they are looking for that gets you stronger, it is recovery time.. A 4 day tournament if I am taking something that will speed up my recovery then as my competition wears down over those 4 days I will stay closer to my peak. Its not much, but it is something that does happen and it is not good for your long term health of your body. Plus the Olympics man...

I've talked to several players who say smoking pot before they play calms the nerves, so is that a performance enhancement drug then?

I've talked to several players who say smoking pot before they play calms the nerves, so is that a performance enhancement drug then?

It is considered that anyway, or illicit. If it alters your state of mind then performance enhancing. This is what the sports medicine guys I went to hammered into my head.

It is considered that anyway, or illicit. If it alters your state of mind then performance enhancing. This is what the sports medicine guys I went to hammered into my head.

So that would imply LSD is performance enhancing? I'm not sure that's how I'd classify it.
Not trying to troll, it just seems odd that mindAltering==performanceEnhancing explicitly.

Let's have a steroid league where anything goes and everyone is gassed to the gills with thick necks and humongous biceps throwing 500' with a wrist flick. I would pay to watch that.

edit: what a coincidence, my 420th post! Better burn one.:D

Last edited:

Thats not my experience, in my experience it stresses the nerves and reduces coordination. Pot is a performance inhibitor