• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA iPhone app

^Really? Post #3 and you are turning the thread in THAT direction????

Personally, I don't really see the purpose in the app other than adding visibility to the sport...I rarely need to look up tourney results on the go; and besides, PDGA's website is slow enough as it is.

Yeah, this thread is doomed. Thanks for the informative reply, bud.

^Really? Post #3 and you are turning the thread in THAT direction????

Personally, I don't really see the purpose in the app other than adding visibility to the sport...I rarely need to look up tourney results on the go; and besides, PDGA's website is slow enough as it is.

Seeing as the app has course lookup based on your location, course information already built in to what looks like a really nice scorecard app, among some other features, I'd say his reply was pretty informative, as you've seemed to miss the point of the app based on your remarks.

I think I read on dgreview that they are hoping to get it out sometime in July, it was a post by a PDGA employee close to the app I believe.

They hope to have the app available just before the start of Am Worlds later this month. It's primarily a scorekeeper for personal, group and eventually tournament play that uses either courses you enter manually or download from the PDGA Course database. If you download from the PDGA database, it will calculate ratings for your group after each round.

They did the Apple app first simply because they had the programming capability inhouse. For Android, they'll need to contract out. There's no need to have the app look up PDGA results because any Smart Phone with Internet can do that now.

If you download from the PDGA database, it will calculate ratings for your group after each round.

Hows it going to do that since ratings can change due to the weather and other varibles?

There's no need to have the app look up PDGA results because any Smart Phone with Internet can do that now.

Might not be a "need", but with the terrible performance of the website these days it would be nice to have a way to look them up that didn't take several minutes to load...

The website upgrade is underway now so we'll see if the Drupal upgrade does what it was supposed to in terms of improved web speed. It's certainly not going well today. But the load on 'ratings posting day' may always mean slower performance than normal.

The round ratings will be generated for fun and not as accurately as the dynamic method used for events that accounts for weather conditions using much larger fields than up to 6 players in the app. The app ratings will be calculated to the nearest 10 points and based on a composite of SSA values for courses in the database where we have them and use a default value if we don't. Users will at least be able to enter length adjustments from what the Course Directory has listed so you can account for different pin combinations before the ratings are calculated.

I hope it's soon and I don't even have the iPhone. But I hope it has a positive response because I too want to see it on my Android based phone. It looks fantastic.

The final release has been submitted to Apple so it should be up soon. Someone said each Friday is when the apps either get approved or are posted. I think Friday next week is more likely.

I think this first version might be free and will be followed by a fee version like a lot of apps. Not sure what they've settled on or if they have finalized plans on feature sets in free and fee.