• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Leagues & Ratings Updates

jeverett

Double Eagle Member
Ok, I have an odd question.. I know that round ratings produced during sanctioned leagues don't become 'official' until after the end of the 6-10 week league, but what happens with regard to player ratings if both A. the player plays other (non-league) sanctioned events during the league weeks and B. a ratings update happens during those weeks.

In this particular combination, what is the players' rating for purposes of the league (and thus the SSA and round rating computations)? Is their rating for each day of the league what it was at the start of the league? Or does it update when the ratings update happens, and just affect those days after the change? Or do all of the days of the league get rated based on the players' rating at the *end* of the league, when rounds become official?

Let me give an example. If a 950-rated player plays in a two league days, then plays in a sanctioned tourney (where they shoot rounds above their rating), and then a ratings update happens (still with 4+ days of the league left), what is their rating for purposes of all 6+ league days (including two that have already happened), and the SSA and round rating computations for those league rounds?

I hate to bump a thread, but I'd still very much like to get an answer to the above question, if anyone happens to come across/know the answer. :p

As another example of the weirdness, what if a player who isn't a propagator (they have fewer than 8 previous rated rounds) becomes a propagator mid-league (due to a ratings update happening in the middle of the league, and the player now having enough previous rounds to qualify as a propagator)? Are they considered a propagator for all league dates (even ones that have already happened? Or for none of them? Or only for league dates that happen after the ratings update?)?

I am also curious as to what the official date is for leagues. When is it dropped after a year and what date is used to drop rounds greater than a year away.

I am also curious as to what the official date is for leagues. When is it dropped after a year and what date is used to drop rounds greater than a year away.

It's all fun database stuff :-D Here's how it works:

Two dates are checked: The date of the most recent round included in that update (date 1), and the end date of the league (date 2)

If 365 have passed between date 1 and date 2, the rounds of the league are not included :thmbup:

It's all fun database stuff :-D Here's how it works:

Two dates are checked: The date of the most recent round included in that update (date 1), and the end date of the league (date 2)

If 365 have passed between date 1 and date 2, the rounds of the league are not included :thmbup:

So, if a league runs from April to July, and I play a tournament in May of the following year, my league rounds from April of the previous year, would still be included correct?

Another case... If I play a tournament in May one year, and then league the following year from April to July, the tournament from the previous year would be dropped.

So, if a league runs from April to July, and I play a tournament in May of the following year, my league rounds from April of the previous year, would still be included correct?

Yep!

Another case... If I play a tournament in May one year, and then league the following year from April to July, the tournament from the previous year would be dropped.

The tournament from May the previous year would be dropped on the ratings update that the league is included (assuming those are the only 2 things you did in that time period).

Well, so far the only thing I can confirm is that, at least for the 'unofficial' ratings, changes to a player's rating (and/or propagator status) mid-league are indeed retroactive on their round ratings for the league. :p

e.g. if you start a league with a rating of 950, and put up a 950-rated round, but a rating update happens before the league ends (and your rating changes), your round rating for the round you already played will change too.

The only detail here, of course, is whether or not the 'official' round ratings will reflect this same change. If the PDGA is able to track a players' rating historically, they may well still use their rating as it was at the time of the round, rather than what it is when the league finishes/becomes 'official'.

Summary: the PDGA rating system with regard to leagues appears weird and possibly poorly-implemented. :p

So the reason somebody would sanction a league is just to get ratings, right?

Maybe I don't know how it works exactly...but I can't see the advantage in paying an organization outside of your club to run a league, unless ratings are really that important to everyone?

So the reason somebody would sanction a league is just to get ratings, right?

Maybe I don't know how it works exactly...but I can't see the advantage in paying an organization outside of your club to run a league, unless ratings are really that important to everyone?

Well, you get points as well as ratings, in the case that matters. From my memory, you get approximately 1/2 the number of points per league round that you would per round from a C-tier event. A sanctioned league may also provide some measure of respectability to a league in the eyes of parks departments, as well.. I believe in some places pick-up leagues are banned (as they are treated as organized gambling).

Beyond that.. I'm not really sure?

Latest posts