• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

pDGA loosening rules on night golf play!

It doesn't specifically mention Glow Duct Tape as being approved. Are we to assume that ANY means of lighting a normally approved disc is approved as long as it doesn't dramatically affect the disc?

Glow discs, LED's, Glow Duct Tape, (only ways I know)

Looks like rules committee is changing Civil Twilight to Sunset since it was difficult to calculate the first. Won't make a darn difference because we hardly enforce rules at night golf anyways...

Sunset makes more sense than civil twilight. If you don't have a light on your disc by civil twilight then it is already to late.

Sunset makes more sense than civil twilight. If you don't have a light on your disc by civil twilight then it is already to late.

Dayglow disc "pop" so much brighter at this time of the afternoon. So its not too late. If you had a bag of dayglow then you get an easy 45 min of extra play at dusk.

Can only PDGA Approved glow discs be used for sanctioned play in the dusk and dark?

Answer: The PDGA office has approved a blanket waiver so any PDGA Approved disc may be used with glow stick or LED light attached, preferably to the underside of transparent discs, AFTER civil twilight in your time zone. In addition, LED lights taped to PDGA Approved discs can be used during daylight specifically when there is sufficient snow cover on the course and the LED might make the disc easier to locate. Non-PDGA Approved discs such as those with built-in LED lights cannot be used at any time during sanctioned play.

http://www.pdga.com/glowin-in-the-winter

Wait, does that actually work? I have never tried LEDs with snow.

I'm not fond of the idea of having to put-on and take-off my LEDs from my discs every day if I want to comply. That, or play with another set of discs, which isn't realistic to me.

If LEDs are not cheating when used in the nighttime, how could they possibly be cheating when used in the daytime, a time when they have no effect?

It's not about cheating, it's about following the rules that are specified for the time being. It's a step on the way to hopefully having more comprehensive specs where the same discs can be used all day long.

Not yet. Just after sunset. We're working on standards for future disc designs that may allow lights to be built-in, slipped-in or snapped-in.

I hope future rules allow for all PDGA discs to use lighting at all times of the day/night, not just a special line of discs with an option for LED attachment or in certain conditions. I prefer using this lighting method in conjunction with the discs I already know and love (courtesy of the PDGA website).

Taped_LED.jpg

Yes, it works. We have a night glow league all winter long where they use the LED lights taped on which helps in the snow besides playing at night.

I think the future of night golf might include specially designed disc golf clothing once our apparel manufacturers get into this: http://shop.cutecircuit.com/collections/menswear/products/twirkle-disc-t-shirt

Pretty tight shirts, but right now they're pretty expensive. I could see that becoming cheaper and more popular in the future. Pretty trippy models... :confused:

Latest posts