• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA need to get in bed with a sponsor like Red Bull

I don't think it's out of the question that a manufacturer runs their own tour. In fact, I think it would be a way to draw more people to the PDGA tournament scene in the long run.

Bear with me while I make a very nerdy correlation here.

A lot of people know about Magic: The gathering card game. Well, it also has associated pro tour events (with lots of pro tour qualifier events) and grand prix events that are open to anyone. A number of years ago, this competitive tournament scene wasn't really that popular. As the game has grown, a well known M:TG retailer/reseller - Star City Games - has started their own 'Open' series of competitive events. There are several seasons throughout the year in which competitors can accumulate points in the Open series events, and compete in their championship level 3 day event, the Invitational. Now, there are associated qualifying events for the Invitational (SCG Invitational Qualifiers) that are additional ways of earning points and or invitations to compete in the main event. These events are generally in smaller stores/venues, and multiples are held every weekend. Every single one of these SCG Open events has streaming coverage for feature matches in all rounds, every weekend. All of these events - IQ level to Invitational - are cash events, and there are no divisions. There is some prestige to be had when these things are combined, and prestige brings people.

What Star City Games has done is taken a model from the official M:TG event series and made their own version. The Open series and Invitational that SCG runs is hugely popular, and often draws attendances in the range of 750-1000 competitors across the weekend.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that it's not out of the realm of possibility for a big manufacturer to do something similar. SCG was a single brick and mortar store that sold cards in person and online as well as providing content about the game from top pros. Why couldn't Dynamic Discs or someone make their own tour outside of the PDGA events, make their own pay structure, and organize streaming of these events? Sure it would take some up front investment, but the return on that investment could potentially be huge.

Then again, the reason why streaming disc golf isn't that popular is that most golfers would rather be outside playing when it's nice, not inside watching a live stream.

:thmbup:

Last edited:
They still aren't running around the country with their staffers running events..

Isn't that exactly what they are doing? They have the two RVs constantly traveling the country running everything from PDGA sanctioned events to trilogy challenges, ect. I think it is an excellent business model. They are taking their company to every town with a course across the country and getting their product in people's hands.

They still aren't running around the country with their staffers running events. They're staying close to home and in fact brought the world to them for the big one.

I guess my point is that if they can make enough to fund a full line of discs running events locally, why wouldn't they have the same success branching out across the country?
In DD's case, locally would not just mean tiny little Emporia, but also the Kansas City and DFW areas both of which they run satellite retail shops in.

There are 51 events on the DD tournament calendar this year. Roughly half of them are in the KC or DFW metro areas. Many of the others are in Emporia, other parts of KS, TX or neighboring states. They did put on four events in WI earlier this year.

There are 51 events on the DD tournament calendar this year. Roughly half of them are in the KC or DFW metro areas. Many of the others are in Emporia, other parts of KS, TX or neighboring states. They did put on four events in WI earlier this year.

If they were able to expand the geographic range of the events, and wanted to actually do these events dissociated with the PDGA, I'm sure they'd experience quite a bit of success with it. Throw in some streaming and series points and a championship event at the end, and I bet there'd be a lot of interested people

There's a lot of people that don't want to sign up for PDGA and don't want to pay $10 extra to play in their events either.

If they were able to expand the geographic range of the events, and wanted to actually do these events dissociated with the PDGA, I'm sure they'd experience quite a bit of success with it. Throw in some streaming and series points and a championship event at the end, and I bet there'd be a lot of interested people

Aside from the Trilogy Challenges they actually run (as opposed to providing the discs for) and the occasional charity event, DD generally does not run unsanctioned tournaments. I would suspect there are two reasons why. One, it hurts attendance and two they would have to come up with their own insurance protections rather than use the ones the PDGA provides.

There's a lot of people that don't want to sign up for PDGA and don't want to pay $10 extra to play in their events either.
Yeah, but a lot of those people who don't want to usually end up relenting anyways. Here's the event that DD will be putting on this weekend. Western Kansas. Not a whole lot of PDGA members there. Many of the ones who are PDGA members will be traveling from eastern KS or Colorado. More than a third of the field, and the overwhelming majority of the folks in Intermediate and below are not PDGA current.

It's not all that profitable to cowtow to holdouts who make a $10 fee a dealbreaker, when there are more than plenty who will pay it.

Last edited:
Maybe RedBull isn't the right kind of company. With the amount of baby-boomers retiring and having more free time I think companies which sell products like pain relief creams, adult diapers, Velcro shoes, dentures, and heart monitors.

The real target market, to grow the sport:

268319_245642388782249_7580264_n.jpg

:clap: Awesome post AIM!

It looks funny, but my dad just retired and is a very active 63. I got him a few discs at PIAS to try it out and he's really liking being out in the dread hair around mostly friendly people.

He's still shooting 15 over most rounds, but having a great time doing it.

Latest posts